Here's my Training Camp Report from Saturday 8/21/10

Mike32282

Here ya go. My report from Day 16 of Training Camp is finally finished. Sorry it's so late, I had to work last night and then had some stuff to do this morning. If you have any questions or comments, let me know. I will try to reply to all of them.

It was Day 16 of Buffalo Bills Training Camp on Saturday afternoon. It was also the first practice back after the preseason win against the Colts. As expected, the team came out in shorts and shoulder pads and worked at about half speed, as it was basically a walk-thru for the players. Coach Gailey also shortened the practice by about 45 minutes. The quarterbacks rotation continued with Trent Edwards getting a majority of the snaps while Brian Brohm and Ryan Fitzpatrick split the backup reps in half. Levi Brown got the leftovers. As for the the rest of the players, Gailey gave more time to the special teamers to work on their drills and more time was spent on the individual drills with some 11-on-11 and 7-on-7 mixed in.

The players began strolling out onto the field by 3:30pm and practice began at about 3:45pm. As always, the team spent a ton of time on individual drills. I focused on the defensive backs. George Wilson shined out there and caught everything thrown his way during the pass catching drills. On the negative side, Reggie Corner struggled to catch the passes from the jugs machine and looked a bit slow. Terrence McGee also continued his solid camp as he caught all the "passes" and looked good in coverage drills too. Ashton Youboty also showed good hands and caught everything "thrown" to him. During the individual drills, Coach Gailey also gave extra time for the special teams to work on their drills and the fundamentals.

After the horn sounded, the team went to work on some 11-on-11. Trent Edwards got a huge majority of the snaps with the full squad while Ryan Fitzpatrick, Brian Brohm and Levi Brown all lined up at center 3 times. CJ Spiller started it off with a run up the middle for 4 yards, followed by a nice 7-yard run where he plowed thru the middle. On the next play, the defense stuffed Spiller at the line. He made up for it after that with a run around the left tackle for 5-yards. Joique Bell came in next and ran around the right tackle for 6-yards. Trent Edwards then finished the series off with a beautiful 70-yard touchdown pass to Lee Evans who flew ahead of Drayton Florence. Chad Simpson came in with the backups and ran up the middle for 3-yards and then 5-yards. Ryan Fitzpatrick then threw a 12-yard pass to Michael Matthews.......

CLICK HERE FOR MORE:

I think Bell or Simpson are on a lot of teams look to wire list and whichever one goes will be snapped up in minutes. I don't see us keeping five backs, but we have five guys who could step up and play. It will be interesting to see how this develops in the next few weeks.

I think Bell or Simpson are on a lot of teams look to wire list and whichever one goes will be snapped up in minutes. I don't see us keeping five backs, but we have five guys who could step up and play. It will be interesting to see how this develops in the next few weeks.

Bell will be gone the instant the paperwork is filed, he needs to be on the roster.

Bell will be gone the instant the paperwork is filed, he needs to be on the roster.

Agreed. He's the one that I really don't want to lose the most. He's young and has a ton of potential and would make a great one-two punch with Spiller in a year or two.

Great work as usual, Mike. I was there yesterday too, and the only thing I disagree with you about is the play of Reggie Corner. I thought he did great work in team drills as far as always being in the right position and making plays on the ball. You're absolutely right that he has terrible hands, and that's a concern, but I really like the way he played yesterday otherwise. We obviously saw the play of Chad Jackson in the same light yesterday, he played extremely well.

Agreed. He's the one that I really don't want to lose the most. He's young and has a ton of potential and would make a great one-two punch with Spiller in a year or two.

Roger that. I know injuries and changing positions have affected some of the other small college guys that were drafted, but Bell seems like the guy who dominated college at a lower level and is able to make "the leap" against better competition. I hope he gets a chance against the 1's this week a bit to see what he does against better players.

Thanks for the report Mike.

When was the last time you saw, heard, or read this, either in a game or in practice?

"On the next play, Edwards found Lee Evans, but he dropped it"

Amazing how sure handed Lee Evans has been in his carreer.

Nice to hear about Jackson stepping up, that will push Johnson to be better. I have a feeling that Johnson is the #2 WR because he does the little things the right way. Having said that he has to start catching the ball.

Great work as usual, Mike. I was there yesterday too, and the only thing I disagree with you about is the play of Reggie Corner. I thought he did great work in team drills as far as always being in the right position and making plays on the ball. You're absolutely right that he has terrible hands, and that's a concern, but I really like the way he played yesterday otherwise. We obviously saw the play of Chad Jackson in the same light yesterday, he played extremely well.

Yeah, maybe I'm a bit too hard on Reggie Corner...but I watched him drop a couple passes in the individual drills, then he dropped that interception too. Plus I'm still commenting on how terrible he was in the game on Thursday. Either way, hopefully he can get some stickem or something. lol

Chad Jackson was a beast out there. I loved what I saw from him yesterday and at the game.

Roger that. I know injuries and changing positions have affected some of the other small college guys that were drafted, but Bell seems like the guy who dominated college at a lower level and is able to make "the leap" against better competition. I hope he gets a chance against the 1's this week a bit to see what he does against better players.

I would love to see Bell with the starters on Saturday. He's earned his chance.

Thanks for the report Mike.

When was the last time you saw, heard, or read this, either in a game or in practice?

"On the next play, Edwards found Lee Evans, but he dropped it"

Amazing how sure handed Lee Evans has been in his carreer.

Nice to hear about Jackson stepping up, that will push Johnson to be better. I have a feeling that Johnson is the #2 WR because he does the little things the right way. Having said that he has to start catching the ball.

No problem. Yeah...I was shocked when Evans dropped it.

Jackson is definitely stepping it up and if Johnson can fix his hands problem, he will lose the #2 job to him.

Guest dog14787

Here ya go. My report from Day 16 of Training Camp is finally finished. Sorry it's so late, I had to work last night and then had some stuff to do this morning. If you have any questions or comments, let me know. I will try to reply to all of them.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE:

Another great play by play report Mike, :thumbsup:

Yeah, maybe I'm a bit too hard on Reggie Corner...but I watched him drop a couple passes in the individual drills, then he dropped that interception too. Plus I'm still commenting on how terrible he was in the game on Thursday. Either way, hopefully he can get some stickem or something. lol

Chad Jackson was a beast out there. I loved what I saw from him yesterday and at the game.

I would love him to make that jump with the starters on Saturday. That's what preseason is all about, let the guy go out there and earn it. Steve Johnson shouldn't be offended, it should make him work harder to let him know that the coaches are looking elsewhere.

I like what I've seen of Chad Jackson, he seems like a legit #2 NFL WR a little faster and more physical then Steve Johnson- I'm also pretty impressed with J.Bell, when the Bills picked him up I watched his college highlight videos and said wow- then I said "yeah but division 2" but he's done the same type of things here so far and he seems to have a well rounded game I was as impressed with his blocking as much as his running. I wouldn't be surprised if we went with 4 RBs this year with either Lynch or Jackson being traded.

Let me try this board out...

Thanks again Mikey. My take on your extra points:

1. I think if Hardy is too hurt/not going to step up again, right now I'd like to see Chad starting... after watching the 1st 2 games, I think he would be a better compliment to Lee's game than Stevie, who doesn't look ready for prime time to me.

2. Most everyone will say keep Bell over Chad, and I would agree, though I don't think it really matters too much, Marshawn isn't going anywhere.

3. Keeping Coleman and dumping Kelsay is nothing but WIN. Still would like to see Chris Ellis starting on the left side though, I think he's looked pretty good so far, want to see more.

4. My favorite Bills players the past 10 years have been the scant few that exceed my expectations, and I'm a big George Wilson fan after last year. I think he will do fine filling in for Byrd.

5. I wouldn't miss Reggie Corner at all, don't care for the midget players, nothing personal, he's just too small. If he was making plays, maybe, but no way if he is getting burned. I would LOVE to see Youboty stay healthy AND get a lot of playing time instead.

I don't see any way that Chad Simpson makes the team unless he beats out Bell, which I doubt. I don't think he adds anything as a KR as he would be about the #5 KR behind Leodis, Spiller, Freddie Jackson, and maybe even Roscoe or McGee. He'd never see the field.

isn't he a gunner also?

isn't he a gunner also?

Yeah, I think Brian Galliford has also been noting that Bell is awful on special teams coverage, an area which is of concern for the Bills this preseason and where the 4th RB is more likely to contribute. This problem could of course be solved by trading Lynch...

Yeah, I think Brian Galliford has also been noting that Bell is awful on special teams coverage, an area which is of concern for the Bills this preseason and where the 4th RB is more likely to contribute. This problem could of course be solved by trading Lynch...

He must have improved a lot since his debut against Washington because I thought he was solid against the Colts, making a couple of tackles. That is his ticket if he wants to make the roster and the coaches played him a lot the other night.