National Black Police Association backs legalization of marijuana

Fingon

WTF?

Proposition 19, the marijuana legalization initiative, picked up the support Thursday of a national organization that represents African American police officers, as the campaign for legalization continues to try to build support in the black community and among law enforcement officials.

The National Black Police Assn., which has about 15,000 members, is the second African American organization to back the measure. The California NAACP has also endorsed it, citing the disproportionate arrest and incarceration of African Americans caught with marijuana.

Ron Hampton, the police association’s executive director, said he decided the group should get behind the measure because it would eliminate laws that have a negative impact on the black community.

“It means that we will be locking up less African American men and women and children who are using drugs,” said Hampton, a retired Washington, D.C., police officer with 25 years experience. “We’ve got more people in prison. We’ve got more young people in prison. Blacks go to jail more than whites for doing the same thing.”

Hampton said that the money being spent on the war on drugs could be better spent on education, housing and creating jobs. “It just seemed like to me that we have been distracted in this whole thing,” he said. “We can take that money, and focus and concentrate on things that really make a difference in our community.”

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2010/08/national-black-police-association-supports-californias-marijuana-legalization-initiative.html

This is not surprising at all, considering the reason marijuana was outlawed in the first place was to make it easier for southern police officers to harass and lock up minorities (mostly Mexican in marijuana's case, but black as well). With so much ignorance clouding their judgment, they never stopped to consider that they'd eventually be fighting a war against innocent citizens of all races.

I always thought it was outlawed, thanks in part to the cotton industry feeling pressure from an alternative to cotton fabric(ie. hemp)

This is not surprising at all, considering the reason marijuana was outlawed in the first place was to make it easier for southern police officers to harass and lock up minorities (mostly Mexican in marijuana's case, but black as well). With so much ignorance clouding their judgment, they never stopped to consider that they'd eventually be fighting a war against innocent citizens of all races.

I always thought it was outlawed, thanks in part to the cotton industry feeling pressure from an alternative to cotton fabric(ie. hemp)

I dont doubt that helped it, but it started with Mexican oppression in Texas. The congressional testimony in the Marihuana Tax Act of 1937 reads like an extra extra crazy version of the Tea-baggers anti-Mexican laws. Just an excerpt:

Two weeks ago a sex-mad degenerate, named Lee Fernandez, brutally attacked a young Alamosa girl. He was convicted of assault with intent to rape and sentenced to 10 to 14 years in the state penitentiary. Police officers here know definitely that Fernandez was under the influence of marihuana. But this case is one in hundreds of murders, rapes, petty crimes, insanity that has occurred in southern Colorado in recent years.

I wish I could show you what a small marihuana cigaret can do to one of our degenerate Spanish-speaking residents. That's why our problem is so great; the greatest percentage of our population is composed of Spanish-speaking persons, most of who are low mentally, because of social and racial conditions.

Additionally:

When Montana outlawed marijuana in 1927, the Butte Montana Standard reported a legislator’s comment: “When some beet field peon takes a few traces of this stuff… he thinks he has just been elected president of Mexico, so he starts out to execute all his political enemies.” In Texas, a senator said on the floor of the Senate: “All Mexicans are crazy, and this stuff [marijuana] is what makes them crazy.”
Edited by DrDankenstein

I am confused, I thought you were pro-legalization. :unsure:

Oh, I am. It doesn't mean that I'm not shocked that a police association would support it. The major players behind trying to make Prop 19 not pass are police and prison organizations.

Legalize it already! Only in the USA does our government sneak genetically modified foods on it's citizens and think that is acceptable, then they make pot brownies more illegal. GMO's good, pot brownies bad-just another example of how draconian and ass backwards our laws can be

I dont doubt that helped it, but it started with Mexican oppression in Texas. The congressional testimony in the Marihuana Tax Act of 1937 reads like an extra extra crazy version of the Tea-baggers anti-Mexican laws. Just an excerpt:

Additionally:

Good points but I would say it started before that. The country was crazy at the turn of the century with the temperance movement. And Harry J. Anslinger was douche bag supreme

Good points but I would say it started before that. The country was crazy at the turn of the century with the temperance movement. And Harry J. Anslinger was douche bag supreme

He would be completely at home in 2010. He'd have a book deal and his own show on Fox News.

PTR

Moonbat alert. Shields up!