Brohm

There was an announcement going into training camp that TE would be #1 on the depth chart. There should be a link on this site somewhere…

Find it then.

Anything i've ever heard was there is an "open competition at the QB spot".

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What exactly did Brohm do that Edwards hasn't done numerous times? He took the safe short stuff, just like Trent, and the Brohm boys are getting turned on. If you switched the names on their performances, Brohm's boys would be complaining about the QB not getting into the endzone & the numerous short throws for completions. They would have blamed Trent for no TD and having to settle for a FG before halftime. If Brohm had that long pass, they would have been anointing him the next Kelly.

Look at the Tim Graham article in another thread for an unbiased opinion of what the QBs did last night.

I will read the Tim Graham article that you suggested. But I do have an answer to your question. It's the way the Ball comes out with Brohm. He is a throwback to the Ken Stabler - Joe Namath- Dan Marino type QB. The ball comes out bam! Now it seems that teams are all shot in the butt with the idea that the QB has to be a stork like 6" 5" tall. Few guys at that height get the ball out quick. They are plenty strong and have a lot of speed on the Ball but what they don't have is the quick release. When you combine that release with the ability to look off the defenders you have something special. Brohm has that magic.

I don't hate Edwards or Fitz. But neither of those guys has that quick release. It really isn't something that is easily coached it's either there or it's not.

What exactly did Brohm do that Edwards hasn't done numerous times? He took the safe short stuff, just like Trent, and the Brohm boys are getting turned on. If you switched the names on their performances, Brohm's boys would be complaining about the QB not getting into the endzone & the numerous short throws for completions. They would have blamed Trent for no TD and having to settle for a FG before halftime. If Brohm had that long pass, they would have been anointing him the next Kelly.

Look at the Tim Graham article in another thread for an unbiased opinion of what the QBs did last night.

after the game Brohm took down Albany's girlfriend?

I think Brohm looks somewhat promising, but ill be buying his jersey if he can boot fitz off the roster. Fitz is worthless and at his best has only shown glimpses of being a below average backup. I'd love to see TE start and BB and LB behind him as they'll all get some time this year and the team will get to see if they actually have some potential at the position. I still think they need to take a Qb high next year, but I'd love to see the bills find some potential on the roster this year. Every game fitz starts is one more wasted chance to evaluate / develop a real Qb. In investment terms Brohm and Levi are lottery tickets, Trent is an awful mutual fund that is slowly losing money and fitz is the equivalent of giving your money to a homeless DC crackhead.

Oh yeah!! Ba BOOM!!

?????

Exactly what is it about me that attracts you so?

:w00t::thumbsup:

I know the thread title didn't say "back door left open" but shouldn't you be greasin' up and 'punchin' it in your own 'benchmen' buddies on...

Herring Cove ????

For a guy who devoted a pregame thread to picking the right wine to watch the game with and who regularly discusses gay hangouts, you sure spend a lot of time here questioning the sexuality of others. What are we to make of that?

What "attracts me"? I don't know-why do people sometimes just feel like shooting fish in a barrel? Your comments (like your "TE will break his hand following through on his first pass" was so awesome, you used it in 2 different threads) lend themselves to ridicule. See Albaany, N.Y.

I don't think you are looking as closely as some. The analysis seems oversimplified to me. Also with all due respect to TG, I don't need him to form my opinion on QB play.

You know it struck me Brohm should be better. Better college career, better college program, reportedly bigger arm, higher draft pick.

Depth chart however says he is still not as good as ol' Trenty at the moment... unfortunate for all the folks with an Edwards vendetta.

There are lots of us without a "Trent vendetta" too. I've posted more than once, that I will never root against any football player wearing a Bills uniform.

It's the way the Ball comes out with Brohm. He is a throwback to the Ken Stabler - Joe Namath- Dan Marino type QB. The ball comes out bam! But neither of those guys has that quick release. It really isn't something that is easily coached it's either there or it's not.

I'll partly agree with you in that it IS the way the ball comes out with Brohm. But the quick release part? Trent has a quicker release IMO but the fact that Brohm has to start his motion a bit sooner gives his throws more commitment and purpose.

When Trent is under duress, he just doesn't have pocket presence. He DOES appear skittish and DOES NOT inspire confidence. I have not eliminated the possibility that he is enjoying good coaching for the first time in his pro career and that he still might have some upside as a result.

I would add (again) that I trust in Gailey to make the right choice on quarterbacks and I will reinforce the rarely stated belief that if Brohm surpasses Edwards, it might be something that happens in Week Two, or Week Five…in other words, it may not and doesn't have to happen in time for the season opener. It will take its own timeline, especially after Fitzy is cut and there are more snaps to go around.

You can be sure that if Trent stumbles out of the gate, that Chan won't wait too long to put Brohm in there. Chan clearly wants Edwards to succeed ("I think he's a tough guy")but he has to maintain credibility with his players and the fans as well as secure his own job. That means Chan has to be the ultimate pragmatist and will make the switch when it is clearly necessary.

As for Brohm, I was very disappointed…only in the first play. To get sacked on an ankle tackle annoyed me.

But I thought the rest of Brohm's performance was good. The biggest minus of course, was not getting the team into the end zone.

But in throwing so many passes (21), you could see that he has more pocket presence and awareness than Trent, he sees the pressure coming well in advance and makes his reads and lets it go. So often Trent just "quick chucks" the ball at the last moment. Brohm made virtually all his throws from a complete, unhurried motion.

He throws his balls in rhythm (with the offense) and with rhythm (in his motion).

The balls Brohm missed on (and I'm thinking down in the red zone) are balls he made sure to get out quickly and I believe that he rushed those throws a bit, and he still has to work (as Chan stated this week) with his "continual" accuracy.

As for that accuracy, some of that is the new system, new receivers, lots of injuries to receivers, limited snaps, and all those things that make a quarterback miss his receiver's window by a few feet. His few misses (14 completions) were skipping off the outside of the tire, instead of going through the tire.

I believe that Brohm, like Trent, with more reps under Gailey, will improve.

I'm more encouraged after this game that the 2010 plan to have adequate quarterbacking for this year will prove to be a sound plan.

I think there's a better than 50/50 chance that either of these guys will outperform Tebow and/or Clausen.

At the end of the season you see what you've got, how far Levi Brown has progressed, see where you are drafting, who's available and make a decision then.

Find it then.

I don't need to find anything, not my axe to grind. To me it is obvious who is #1 on the depth chart based on the fact that Chan announced Trent would go into camp leading the #1's, who is working out with the #1’s in practice and who has started both preseason games. I did not assert it is locked in for all eternity but today it is the case, as it has been since the beginning of camp.

For those in denial that Brohm has not proven himself as the Buffalo messiah, I don’t know what else to tell you.

Guest dog14787
Find it then.

For the start against Miami it is an open competition, but TE is still number #1 on the depth chart as it stands right now.

Gailey wanted the would be starter to have the benefit of getting the bulk of the reps in practice and preseason with the starters to get him ready for the season opener.

If he didn't complete that single pass or Lee dropped it, etc., I think we would be very down on Trent right now for his otherwise disappointing 4-7 for 23 yards.

To me that says it all!!! One pass made his numbers. I wonder what his QB Rating would be minus that throw? Also he benefited from CJ's run and McGees return or the score wouldn't have been so Rosy when he left.

...Give Brohm a chance with the real players next week!!

I don't think you are looking as closely as some. The analysis seems oversimplified to me. Also with all due respect to TG, I don't need him to form my opinion on QB play.

There are lots of us without a "Trent vendetta" too. I've posted more than once, that I will never root against any football player wearing a Bills uniform.

I'll partly agree with you in that it IS the way the ball comes out with Brohm. But the quick release part? Trent has a quicker release IMO but the fact that Brohm has to start his motion a bit sooner gives his throws more commitment and purpose.

When Trent is under duress, he just doesn't have pocket presence. He DOES appear skittish and DOES NOT inspire confidence. I have not eliminated the possibility that he is enjoying good coaching for the first time in his pro career and that he still might have some upside as a result.

I would add (again) that I trust in Gailey to make the right choice on quarterbacks and I will reinforce the rarely stated belief that if Brohm surpasses Edwards, it might be something that happens in Week Two, or Week Five…in other words, it may not and doesn't have to happen in time for the season opener. It will take its own timeline, especially after Fitzy is cut and there are more snaps to go around.

You can be sure that if Trent stumbles out of the gate, that Chan won't wait too long to put Brohm in there. Chan clearly wants Edwards to succeed ("I think he's a tough guy")but he has to maintain credibility with his players and the fans as well as secure his own job. That means Chan has to be the ultimate pragmatist and will make the switch when it is clearly necessary.

As for Brohm, I was very disappointed…only in the first play. To get sacked on an ankle tackle annoyed me.

But I thought the rest of Brohm's performance was good. The biggest minus of course, was not getting the team into the end zone.

But in throwing so many passes (21), you could see that he has more pocket presence and awareness than Trent, he sees the pressure coming well in advance and makes his reads and lets it go. So often Trent just "quick chucks" the ball at the last moment. Brohm made virtually all his throws from a complete, unhurried motion.

He throws his balls in rhythm (with the offense) and with rhythm (in his motion).

The balls Brohm missed on (and I'm thinking down in the red zone) are balls he made sure to get out quickly and I believe that he rushed those throws a bit, and he still has to work (as Chan stated this week) with his "continual" accuracy.

As for that accuracy, some of that is the new system, new receivers, lots of injuries to receivers, limited snaps, and all those things that make a quarterback miss his receiver's window by a few feet. His few misses (14 completions) were skipping off the outside of the tire, instead of going through the tire.

I'm more encouraged after this game that the 2010 plan to have adequate quarterbacking for this year will prove to be a sound plan.

I think there's a better than 50/50 chance that either of these guys will outperform Tebow and/or Clausen.

At the end of the season you see what you've got, how far Levi Brown has progressed, see where you are drafting, who's available and make a decision then.

Pretty rational. This is more of a “Bills fan perspective” assessment a as opposed to those perspectives which let player specific hang ups influence observations.

To me that says it all!!! One pass made his numbers. I wonder what his QB Rating would be minus that throw? Also he benefited from CJ's run and McGees return or the score wouldn't have been so Rosy when he left.

...Give Brohm a chance with the real players next week!!

The bottom line is he did complete that pass. You have to take his game at what it was, not "well if this didn't happen then my point would make sense."

I mean, if you are going to discount that pass, you should be counting the pass that Edwards dropped right on SJ's hands and he dropped (interference or not, gotta catch that).

Any "ifs" change the entire game, so that mentality is just pointless.

The bottom line is he did complete that pass. You have to take his game at what it was, not "well if this didn't happen then my point would make sense."

I mean, if you are going to discount that pass, you should be counting the pass that Edwards dropped right on SJ's hands and he dropped (interference or not, gotta catch that).

Any "ifs" change the entire game, so that mentality is just pointless.

I agree any "ifs" change everything but and a big but, then statistics shouldn't be used under your theory as they are pointless. Several stories I have read pointed out that TE had a 142.2 QB rating and even noted that it was so much better than Peyton Mannings I think one said almost double! LOL... I'm sure we both agree then we'll trade TE for Payton ASAP!!

... For what its worth, throw out TE's TD and his rating drops to 63.3. I found this easy way to answer my own question... http://www.csgnetwork.com/quarterbackratecalc.html

I would not argue with any of what you have written. I honestly have not done a detailed study of why Brohm gets the ball out so quickly. It just seems so fast and natural when he does it. I also hope that one or all three of these QB's could be the answer. This team still has a lot of needs Highly drafted QB's take three years to be truly effective since they are frequently late to camp so the first year is almost a waste. Using high draft choices elsewhere would be a nice luxury and get the Bills to the promised land sooner if one or more of the current crop steps up.

Brohm looked okay, but didn't do anything to take the job. Edwards looked good and didn't do anything to suggest they are going to bench him. When it's all said and done, Edwards will be the starter, Brohm will be number 2 and Fitz will get cut. They know what Fitz can and can't do and he's making more money than the other two. Brohm has shown he's a least as good as Fitz and he still has upside. Brohm will see the field once Edwards gets hurt. The Bills will draft a QB in the first round next year and not re-sign Edwards. Brohm and the drafted QB will battle it out and the drafted QB will be #1 and Brohm will be the back-up next year. In otherwords, the quarterback competition doesn't really mean anything, because we'll have a new QB next year anyway.

It really does not matter to me who starts the season. I do think we will see Brohm prior to mid season or after the bye week.

I don't need to find anything, not my axe to grind. To me it is obvious who is #1 on the depth chart based on the fact that Chan announced Trent would go into camp leading the #1's, who is working out with the #1’s in practice and who has started both preseason games. I did not assert it is locked in for all eternity but today it is the case, as it has been since the beginning of camp.

For those in denial that Brohm has not proven himself as the Buffalo messiah, I don’t know what else to tell you.

Can't find it huh? Just as I thought, someone talking out their arse again. Nowhere has Chan announced who his #1, #2, #3 QBs are yet.

Man, where do you people get this crap from?

Can't find it huh? Just as I thought, someone talking out their arse again. Nowhere has Chan announced who his #1, #2, #3 QBs are yet.

Man, where do you people get this crap from?

Look, mate, that's pretty damn lazy on your part.

"Look it up". No, YOU look it up before you post this sort of yap.

I know this will draw some sort of scintillatingly erudite response from you, and that's fine. Sometimes I like playing with fingerpaint, so go ahead. But just as a matter of board etiquette, don't do crap like that, okay? It's just as easy, or difficult, for you to engage in keystrokes PRIOR to your argument as it is for those who respond to your idiocy.