Pot: Not just for losers any more

ieatcrayonz

Number of people who use coke: 1.5 million

Number of people who smoke marijuana: 26 million

But yeah, the cartels can just flood the market with cheap cocaine. Oh wait, they buy it from the Colombians.

Guess what Chef? Heroin is very cheap and very pure right now, but people aren't doing it. How are they suppose to market it?

So tell me if marijuana is legalized here what do you think the drug cartels who traffic in marijuana are going to do?

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No the mob moved into selling drugs, big time. They went from one illegal activity to the other. That's where the money is. And you can be pretty sure that the marijuana cartels will go into harder drugs if/when marijuana is legalized. If you're cool with that unintended consequence I can't help you.

They are ALREADY selling illegal drugs. And they make the big $$ on the most popular and least addictive one of the bunch. I would prefer they don't make their money selling pot.

Your argument seems to be, the cartels will always find something illegal to do/sell illegally, so why bother to take away their #1 product?

Great argument you got there, Chef.

So tell me if marijuana is legalized here what do you think the drug cartels who traffic in marijuana are going to do?

Not sell marijuana to the USA, for one. They will adapt. They will have to downsize. They will move to other illegal, and less popular, products.

One thing that will be taken from them is the easy conversion they now have to get people who buy pot to try other things. If people wanting pot can get it w/o seeing a drug dealer they are less likely to get involved with other drugs. It won't eliminate drug dealing, of course. Nobody claims it will.

They will become far weaker, and will move into other, less profitable, areas. Marijuana and meth are the only two drugs that the cartels can make themselves. They have to buy everything else from other sources. There isn't a large enough customer base to support current activities just on hard drugs, so they will try to enhance their profits through other means. I suspect kidnappings, racketeering, and human trafficking will rise. These won't be able to sustain them, simply because Mexicans have far less money than Americans. They will still make a killing off hard drugs, but reducing their profits means reducing their manpower. You can't hire thugs to kill a judge if you don't have money.

There is no question they will be far weaker.

Not sell marijuana to the USA, for one. They will adapt. They will have to downsize. They will move to other illegal, and less popular, products.

One thing that will be taken from them is the easy conversion they now have to get people who buy pot to try other things. If people wanting pot can get it w/o seeing a drug dealer they are less likely to get involved with other drugs. It won't eliminate drug dealing, of course. Nobody claims it will.

Yes like cocaine, heroin, meth etc and market the hell out of it.

They will become far weaker, and will move into other, less profitable, areas. Marijuana and meth are the only two drugs that the cartels can make themselves. They have to buy everything else from other sources. There isn't a large enough customer base to support current activities just on hard drugs, so they will try to enhance their profits through other means. I suspect kidnappings, racketeering, and human trafficking will rise. These won't be able to sustain them, simply because Mexicans have far less money than Americans. They will still make a killing off hard drugs, but reducing their profits means reducing their manpower. You can't hire thugs to kill a judge if you don't have money.

There is no question they will be far weaker.

That's just !@#$ing awesome. :D

Yes like cocaine, heroin, meth etc and market the hell out of it.

:D

Drugs need little marketing for those who want them. You know how drug dealer sell drugs to users? They have them for sale when the user asks. But you are really missing the point. They already deal in those drugs. There simply isn't the market for them as there is for pot. Their pot clients don't die as quickly and don't need to be replaced as often.

But if your argument remains that we shouldn't take away drug dealers biggest seller simply because they will find something else to sell, then we have little more to discuss.

:D

Drugs need little marketing for those who want them. You know how drug dealer sell drugs to users? They have them for sale when the user asks. But you are really missing the point. They already deal in those drugs. There simply isn't the market for them as there is for pot. Their pot clients don't die as quickly and don't need to be replaced as often.

But if your argument remains that we shouldn't take away drug dealers biggest seller simply because they will find something else to sell, then we have little more to discuss.

I guess you've never hear the term drug pusher. Of course drugs don't need pushing to people who want them, they need to be pushed to people who have never tried them. I think us who took drugs had to be introduced to them from someone. And my point isn't that they'll find something else to sell they will create a market for something easier to sell, something highly addictive....remember crack? Personally I don't care if they legalize pot, I'm just saying it's my opinion is that if they do the market will be flooded with harder drugs.

I guess you've never hear the term drug pusher. Of course drugs don't need pushing to people who want them, they need to be pushed to people who have never tried them. I think us who took drugs had to be introduced to them from someone. And my point isn't that they'll find something else to sell they will create a market for something easier to sell, something highly addictive....remember crack? Personally I don't care if they legalize pot, I'm just saying it's my opinion is that if they do the market will be flooded with harder drugs.

No, no Chef. The housing bubble bursting won't hurt our economy, Americans will just find other jobs to work. No, no... making cola illegal will not hurt Coca-Cola, they will just find something else to sell.

No, no Chef. The housing bubble bursting won't hurt our economy, Americans will just find other jobs to work. No, no... making cola illegal will not hurt Coca-Cola, they will just find something else to sell.

Damn you just came up with the perfect analogies. :D

Damn you just came up with the perfect analogies. :D

Yes, removing an entities flagship product does not hurt them. Lets take a poll:

Who thinks if Cola were made illegal, Coca-Cola would be hurt financially?

The American economy crashed because credit dried up, and the Mexican cartel's pocket books will implode when they lose 60% of their revenue.

chef, what youre also forgetting is that if marijuana was legal and i could buy it from a dispensary, then i wouldnt have to associate with drug dealers. here in Atlanta, i get to choose whether i want to deal with someone involved in MS-13, or BMF, or some other gang. out in California, i could just go to a nice safe store, not have to deal with thugs, and not have the chance for them to "market" harder drugs to me.

sure, you'll have the people that still go to drug dealers for the harder stuff, but it will be a lot fewer people. and if the drug lords want to "market" their products more, theyll most likely get busted since ALL of the resources being wasted prosecuting pot violators could be turned on the big guys.

Most people who appreciate good bud don't purchase from the brick stuff coming through from Mexico. College students, daily smokers, and those with the means to purchase better product seek higher quality goods coming from our Canadian friends. Or, they simply grow it themselves, thus removing themself from the cartel equation altogether. The stuff the cartels is selling goes to the inner-city or is the stuff you smoked for the first time and realized that pot isn't all that good.

Most people who appreciate good bud don't purchase from the brick stuff coming through from Mexico. College students, daily smokers, and those with the means to purchase better product seek higher quality goods coming from our Canadian friends. Or, they simply grow it themselves, thus removing themself from the cartel equation altogether. The stuff the cartels is selling goes to the inner-city or is the stuff you smoked for the first time and realized that pot isn't all that good.

Take a walk around the US or Canadian growing areas. You will be snared by explosive traps, have vicious dogs set upon you, you name it. Somehow there is this idea that domestically grown stuff is being done by nice folks just looking to make an amiable buck. No. Gangs, be they white bikers or hispanic gangs, black gangs, you name it.

Kentucky, south of me, has a terrible problem. It's a State with natural beauty, but if you think you can roam about like you could years ago, think again.

You may go "missing."

These folks will slit your throat in an instant. And they depend on you to buy.

Take a walk around the US or Canadian growing areas. You will be snared by explosive traps, have vicious dogs set upon you, you name it. Somehow there is this idea that domestically grown stuff is being done by nice folks just looking to make an amiable buck. No. Gangs, be they white bikers or hispanic gangs, black gangs, you name it.

Kentucky, south of me, has a terrible problem. It's a State with natural beauty, but if you think you can roam about like you could years ago, think again.

You may go "missing."

These folks will slit your throat in an instant. And they depend on you to buy.

Mine is grown in the backyard of a very nice lady here w/no pets whatsoever.

You are in over your head here, Cincy. When is the last time you bought illegal drugs? Dealt with a drug dealer? Saw pot plants growing with your own eyes?

Now, are there some pot growers like the ones you describe? Yup. Legalization should put them out of business, or make them legit, pretty damn quickly, don't you think?

Holy crap.

Just Holy friggin crap.

A few hours ago I started this thread which linked to a picture of a BABY smoking pot. Yes, a BABY smoking pot.

And why was this baby smoking pot? Because the baby's mom is a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOser.

And why is the baby's mom a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOser? Because the baby's mom smokes pot.

I run a few errands and deal with a few clients and three pages later the thread has turned into two things:

1. A link to babies drinking as if two wrongs makes a right and

2. Arguments to LEGALIZE pot. I suppose this is so even more babies can smoke it and we can be even bigger losers as a society and be so softened up that our collective heads are soon rolling down collective flights of stairs?

Holy crap.

Just Holy friggin crap.

A few hours ago I started this thread which linked to a picture of a BABY smoking pot. Yes, a BABY smoking pot.

And why was this baby smoking pot? Because the baby's mom is a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOser.

And why is the baby's mom a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOser? Because the baby's mom smoke pot.

I run a few errands and deal with a few clients and three pages later the thread has turned into two things:

1. A link to babies drinking as if two wrongs makes a right and

2. Arguments to LEGALIZE pot. I suppose this is so even more babies can smoke it and we can be even bigger losers as a society and be so softened up that our collective heads are soon rolling down collective flights of stairs?

I was 100% certain this post was going to be about some pothead buying weed from Canadians. But I have to admit this was better.