Gailey's thoughts on Brohm's strengths

bfw1234

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2010/08/17/brohms-strengths/

Brohm’s strengths

Chris Brown

Posted August 17, 2010 – 6:33 am

Tags: 2010 preseason, Brian Brohm

Head coach Chan Gailey was asked to outline Brian Brohm’s strengths. Here was his response.

“He’s very smart. He know where to go with the football. He’s got good velocity on the ball. He just needs to work on continual accuracy,” said Gailey. ”That’s really been his only issue. He’s got good intelligence for football and understands defenses, which is part of playing quarterback, you’ve got to understand defense.”

Brohm will be the second quarterback in Thursday night in Toronto when the Bills face the Colts. Kickoff is set for 7:30 pm.

What seems strange is that Brohm's accuracy has been lauded by media covering OTAs and camp thus far - so BROHM - WIN THIS JOB!! If that's his only issue, then why isn't he starting!?! The other two have accuracy issues and several other issues each!!! If he has the fewest issues...then let's start and develop him!! WTF!!

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest dog14787
http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2010/08/17/brohms-strengths/

Brohm’s strengths

Chris Brown

Posted August 17, 2010 – 6:33 am

Tags: 2010 preseason, Brian Brohm

Head coach Chan Gailey was asked to outline Brian Brohm’s strengths. Here was his response.

“He’s very smart. He know where to go with the football. He’s got good velocity on the ball. He just needs to work on continual accuracy,” said Gailey. ”That’s really been his only issue. He’s got good intelligence for football and understands defenses, which is part of playing quarterback, you’ve got to understand defense.”

Brohm will be the second quarterback in Thursday night in Toronto when the Bills face the Colts. Kickoff is set for 7:30 pm.

What seems strange is that Brohm's accuracy has been lauded by media covering OTAs and camp thus far - so BROHM - WIN THIS JOB!! If that's his only issue, then why isn't he starting!?! The other two have accuracy issues and several other issues each!!! If he has the fewest issues...then let's start and develop him!! WTF!!

Relax, we are developing him,

I think its very possible Brian Brohm is getting groomed as the Bills QB of the future,

and there's absolutely no reason to apply undue pressure on Brohm to perform in a new offense before he's ready...especially with our O-line...

Brohm needs playing time not to compete with Fitzpatrick for the #2 spot and learn how to check down from the captain. He needs on field experience; he's had major success in the past, he can lead the team now that he's in his third season - there is no need to waste time with this non-sense if Gailey's only issue is accuracy?

I believe Mark Gaughn wrote that Brohm had "uncommon" accuracy and touch

no matter what happens Thursday, he needs more time to develop and gain experience. TE has had 3 plus years - enough is enough is enough. TE was not a #1 round pick the team doesn'nt have that much invested in him - what's the point here?

Guest dog14787
I've stated many times already and will repeat that, on Sept. 12, the QB 'pecking order' will be...

Brian Brohm - Starting QB

Bad Bad Levi Brown - #2 QB

Ryan Fitzpatrick - Clipboard

Trent Edwards - President - Dakota Fanning Fan Club, Los Gatos Chapter

Its you that has a crush on Dakota Fanning Senator, maybe you should join her fan club :flirt:

Fanning this, Fanning that, but I know, I know, your not a fan of the club...

It seems like the coaches feel that Trent has the accuracy and total package in practice. Then in a game he fails cuz he doesn't have the guts and confidence to hang in there. Brohm may be one of those guys who isn't the best in practice but plays great in games. Hope the staff gives him an honest look.

I've stated many times already and will repeat that, on Sept. 12, the QB 'pecking order' will be...

I like your ideas here except I could honestly see things playing out this way:

TBD Veteran Backup (possibly released from another team or in the CFL/UFL)

Bad Bad Levi Brown - #3 QB

I really don't know who is out there as a vet right now but I'm sure there is going to be at least a couple on the wire before the season starts that are better than TE and RF. I do think though that Chan would stick with BB as his starter and the vet being brought in strictly as a #2 to help him and teach Levi.

Fitz isn't a bad guy to have on the team either but it is time to cut our losses with Trent. He is a workout warrior, so to speak, being that guy that lights it up in Training Camp. Once the bullets start flying though, he looks as if he has never taken a snap from center.

Brohm looked accurate when I saw him in practice 2 weeks ago but again this makes no sense...how many "issues" does the captain have? how many issues does Fitz have? if they have more than one issue each, then Brohm ought to be #1 qb b/c he only has one "issue" but I guess Chan doesn't see TE's issues? Why and how did he not review the last 3 years of film on TE? this qb arrangement is strange - maybe wilson is involved. Heard Sullivan this morning on WGR say that Wilson loves TE

He also leads OTA's and camp thus far in interceptions... That is most likely why Gailey says he needs to work on continual accuracy and not just accuracy overall. When Brohm is off he is really off, when he's on target he's really on target.

Guest dog14787
Brohm needs playing time not to compete with Fitzpatrick for the #2 spot and learn how to check down from the captain. He needs on field experience; he's had major success in the past, he can lead the team now that he's in his third season - there is no need to waste time with this non-sense if Gailey's only issue is accuracy?

no matter what happens Thursday, he needs more time to develop and gain experience. TE has had 3 plus years - enough is enough is enough. TE was not a #1 round pick the team doesn'nt have that much invested in him - what's the point here?

I'm sure protection issues have entered Gailey's mind and he would prefer not getting his young single caller knocked around/development impeded.

TE's been there, done that...

haha

ryan fitzpatrick-clipboard

that should be a new insult for bad qbs. we should just call them clipboard.

gailey > gaughn

Accuracy is huge, much smaller windows in the NFL than at Louisville. If you cant hit your spots it doesnt matter if you have a huge arm and you arent much good to the team as a QB.

He also leads OTA's and camp thus far in interceptions... That is most likely why Gailey says he needs to work on continual accuracy and not just accuracy overall. When Brohm is off he is really off, when he's on target he's really on target.

he had a high completion % in college in pro set, similar to Gailey's offense .. . a predictor of nfl accuracy

gailey > gaughn

Accuracy is huge, much smaller windows in the NFL than at Louisville. If you cant hit your spots it doesnt matter if you have a huge arm and you arent much good to the team as a QB.

my point is when did the captain and fitz become paragons of accuracy?...actually TE is accurate in his check downs

Are there actual numbers out there somewhere or is this just from your observations?

The one thing (maybe the only thing) I respected about Jauron's head coaching ability was that he knew to pull the plug on Trent. It got him a few more W's. We'll see if Chan comes to the same conclusion in a more timely fashion.

Guest dog14787
my point is when did the captain and fitz become paragons of accuracy?...actually TE is accurate in his check downs

Actually TE has been the most accurate in practice going long to Lee Evans

The one thing (maybe the only thing) I respected about Jauron's head coaching ability was that he knew to pull the plug on Trent. It got him a few more W's. We'll see if Chan comes to the same conclusion in a more timely fashion.

Fitzpatrick won 5 games last year and TE 1 (I think, this according to wgr this morning too) again, what's the point here in continuing with the captain?

Understood. Trent is relatively accurate in short to medium throws. I havent seen too much of Brohm to compare.

If Brohm shines tomorrow i wouldnt be surprised to see him get more reps. With this Line and WR corps its gonna be a big task.