Boller’s Performance Likely Spells Trouble for Brennan

Leonidas

http://www.footballnewsnow.com/2010/boller...le-for-brennan/

Oakland Raiders head coach Tom Cable seems overall pleased with the play of backup quarterback Kyle Boller.

Unfortunately for the recently signed Colt Brennan, Cable’s praise of Boller likely means a one-way ticket out of town is in his future.

“I think Kyle Boller went in there and did some nice things … did some things I’m sure he’d like to do over again, but he also was able to make some big throws and give us a couple of plays that gets us into a chance there,” Cable told reporters on a conference call Friday afternoon.

The original plan was for Brennan to close the game against the Cowboys, but the Raiders coaches opted to stick with just two quarterbacks in the game.

Boller was a respectable 12-for-21 passing for 148 yards and one touchdown Thursday night and could have sealed his spot as the team’s third quarterback behind Jason Campbell and Bruce Gradkowski.

(that's how you post a link, Beerball)

I know it's a little late in the game, but I would pick him up and send Fitz or Brohm packing. Or put Levi on the PS and carry four. Thoughts?

And what would change, really? If a guy can't catch on with the Raiders, what's he going to do with the Bills???

PTR

And what would change, really? If a guy can't catch on with the Raiders, what's he going to do with the Bills???

PTR

A point well taken. But on the other hand the bills quarterbacks really stink and Boller at least showed some potential. If I remember he was known for a very strong arm. I don't think I'd bet the farm on him, but I'd keep him in my sights if one of our motley crew doesn't step up soon. There will be other qbs to look at in coming weeks.

A point well taken. But on the other hand the bills quarterbacks really stink and Boller at least showed some potential. If I remember he was known for a very strong arm. I don't think I'd bet the farm on him, but I'd keep him in my sights if one of our motley crew doesn't step up soon. There will be other qbs to look at in coming weeks.

The story talks about the Raiders keeping Boller and cutting Colt Brennan. It's Brennan who will be available.

PTR

PTR

Unfortunately, the Raiders have better QB's than we do. Campbell, Gradkowski, and Boller are unfortunately far superior to Edwards, Fitzpatrick, and Brohm. If Boller is playing well enough as the #3 to keep Brennan from seeing the field that doesn't mean Brennan isn't worth a look on our part. My impression from Brennan is that he's certainly not afraid to throw the ball, and I think he's got more talent than our other resident "gunslinger," Fitzy (I think I just threw up in my mouth calling Fitzpatrick a "gunslinger").

Unfortunately, the Raiders have better QB's than we do. Campbell, Gradkowski, and Boller are unfortunately far superior to Edwards, Fitzpatrick, and Brohm. If Boller is playing well enough as the #3 to keep Brennan from seeing the field that doesn't mean Brennan isn't worth a look on our part. My impression from Brennan is that he's certainly not afraid to throw the ball, and I think he's got more talent than our other resident "gunslinger," Fitzy (I think I just threw up in my mouth calling Fitzpatrick a "gunslinger").

Okay whatever. Let's just buy a plane ticket for every QB cut from camp.

PTR

Okay whatever. Let's just buy a plane ticket for every QB cut from camp.

PTR

Now come on. When was the last time I advocated bringing in a cast-off QB? I've liked Brennan since his HoF game debut vs. Indy. Give me some credit. I might be a sonofabitch but I'm not one of the lemmings.

Brennan was a monster at Hawaii, putting up insane numbers. He comes in, plays well in sparse preseason duties (faring much better than Brian Brohm, I might add), fights through hip surgery, and becomes the odd man out with McNabb/Collins/Beck in Washington.

What is truly puzzling is why Washington got rid of Brennan for Beck? Is the injury to his hip that bad, or diminished his ability to play?

I'd rather scout the Arena League for a QB before taking Beck.

As far as I'm concerned, all these guys (Edwards, Fitz, Brohm, Brennan, QB X that will/might get cut from team Y, etc) are all the same. I understand the sentiment behind wanting to bring guys in since the fan base isn't satisfied with our current group, but none of these other Flavors of the Week are going to do THAT MUCH better than the guys we have with a team that has a new coach, new offense, new defense and concerns at the LT position. Nix and Co are building this thing through the draft. If (when) our current group of QBs fail, we'll draft someone. The quick fix solution might win us an extra game or two/three but, really, does it matter if we go 4-12 or 7-9? No. Lets do this thing right instead of rushing arond looking for a band-aid.

What is truly puzzling is why Washington got rid of Brennan for Beck? Is the injury to his hip that bad, or diminished his ability to play?

I'd rather scout the Arena League for a QB before taking Beck.

I don't know, but I do know that they had interest for some time in obtaining Beck. I'd prefer Brennan to groom as a starter since McNabb only has a few good years left and Collins certainly isn't the future. I wouldn't trust Beck with my high school team.

As far as I'm concerned, all these guys (Edwards, Fitz, Brohm, Brennan, QB X that will/might get cut from team Y, etc) are all the same. I understand the sentiment behind wanting to bring guys in since the fan base isn't satisfied with our current group, but none of these other Flavors of the Week are going to do THAT MUCH better than the guys we have with a team that has a new coach, new offense, new defense and concerns at the LT position. Nix and Co are building this thing through the draft. If (when) our current group of QBs fail, we'll draft someone. The quick fix solution might win us an extra game or two/three but, really, does it matter if we go 4-12 or 7-9? No. Lets do this thing right instead of rushing arond looking for a band-aid.

Colt Brennan is 25 and is two years removed from the draft. He's somebody I liked coming out of college and liked even more when he dominated in the HoF game (albeit against backups). He's shown more in his career than Brian Brohm and is still very young. How is he a "flavor of the week"? This isn't a patch until we can draft, this is someone I would pursue as a long-term answer at the position.

Colt Brennan is 25 and is two years removed from the draft. He's somebody I liked coming out of college and liked even more when he dominated in the HoF game (albeit against backups). He's shown more in his career than Brian Brohm and is still very young. How is he a "flavor of the week"? This isn't a patch until we can draft, this is someone I would pursue as a long-term answer at the position.

you raise very good points, but the fact that the skins got Beck after Brennan's hip surgery leads me to wonder if he is ever going to really recover. I think he'd be risky but if no one else comes available we might want to give him a shot. I think stuckincincy has a point that bringing qbs in is probably not going to lead to any great season this year, but it is really important for the team to progress to put out a qb who can do the job on a week by week basis. The guys we have probably aren't going to be able to do that.

I know it's a little late in the game, but I would pick him up and send Fitz or Brohm packing. Or put Levi on the PS and carry four. Thoughts?

Frankly after WEEK ONE's performances (With the full understanding that they were WEEK ONE's performances) ... Levi was the best we had and there's nothing wrong with that.

If we continue to see quality quarterbacking from our draft pick ... then just perhaps we will see Levi as the #2 guy or maybe #1 even though that is not what Gailey has in mind right now. But when the cream rises to the top ... go for it!

As for the ridiculous idea of accepting Raider cast-off's ... well let's just leave it with the word RIDICULOUS ... unless of course they have a great MADDEN RATING ... then trade half the team for him!

MMM I wonder if the Ti-Cats have cut anyone lately ...