The game of life

Does anyone still play table games? I remember in the 80s my friends and I were Monopoly junkies. Marathon games lasting all night, tempers flaring"You can't call that ROLLING the dice" Same with Risk. I really enjoyed it and wondered if it is a lost form of entertainment. Or does everyone just zone out in front of their drive in movie size TVs?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone still play table games? I remember in the 80s my friends and I were Monopoly junkies. Marathon games lasting all night, tempers flaring"You can't call that ROLLING the dice" Same with Risk. I really enjoyed it and wondered if it is a lost form of entertainment. Or does everyone just zone out in front of their drive in movie size TVs?

Nothing like drunken, all-night Risk marathons to test a friendship :thumbsup:

My wife's family plays Settler's of Catan at almost every gathering (especially during the colder months) and it constantly devolves into bitterness and aggravation between family members.

Yeah that's a nice game, but somebody's always getting screwed over.

Risk is my favorite. I have a bad habit of aligning with my sister, and then ultimately coming in 2nd.

They are still out there, and seem to be purchased and enjoyed. A Target store I visit from time to time has maybe 25 feet of shelf space devoted to them. That's been so for several years, and with shelf space being so hotly battled for by manufacturers, I think that the board games still sell well.

BTW - Monopoly is a well-studied game. Here is one of many references:

http://www.tkcs-collins.com/truman/monopoly/monopoly.shtml

The out-of-print text, T.H.E. Ultimate (Wm. Poundstone, Dell/Doubleday/Bantam 1990, ISBN 0-385-24270-0) has an interesting chapter, too.

This isn't a board game, but since we're talking about games played with family at gatherings and such, here's a nice on if you get a large group together...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mafia_%28party_game%29

Really stimulates discussion and it's always good times. The difference in my family's version is that the narrator is involved in the game, and face-down playing cards are used by the sheriff to hunt down the mafia.

I play games every week at a club (I almost make a living from games, so playing games almost counts as work).

I hate Monopoly and Risk, there are so many other games out there.

Settlers of Catan is good/great, but there are loads of great games out there, largely German in origin.

Try games like Puerto Rico, Carcassonne, Agricola, Third Imperium, Pandemic (where players are against the game, noteach other), Alhambra or my favourite - Battlestar Galactica.

For younger kids (well ages 8 to 80) I like Poo!, the game of monkeys and... well you get the idea.

I play games every week at a club (I almost make a living from games, so playing games almost counts as work).

I hate Monopoly and Risk, there are so many other games out there.

Settlers of Catan is good/great, but there are loads of great games out there, largely German in origin.

Try games like Puerto Rico, Carcassonne, Agricola, Third Imperium, Pandemic (where players are against the game, noteach other), Alhambra or my favourite - Battlestar Galactica.

For younger kids (well ages 8 to 80) I like Poo!, the game of monkeys and... well you get the idea.

You play Warhammer per chance?

I love board games. My all time favorite is Clue but I also like Life, Stratego and Apples to Apples (tho not really a board game).

We have a 16'x9' movie screen by our pool w/an HD projector. We toss wireless controllers into plastic bags and play Risk via PS2 on the big screen while swimming.

There is no better retaliation than dunking someone who just eliminated you from the game. :thumbsup:

Risk I find boring. Mostly because everyone allies themselves against me to eliminate me as quickly as possible. Sometimes they even succeed. :thumbsup:

No one's ever played Squad Leader?

I played Squad Leader decades ago. Oh and there is a reason they team up to eliminate you and your strategic skill is secondary to that...

:nana: