Glenn Coffee

slyng1

Glenn Coffee, the SF 49ers 3rd draft pick last year, just "retired" apparently because he got yelled at for being run over by some SF defensive player.

First of all -- That's just funny...

Second of all, are they really going to enter the season with Michael Robinson as Frank Gore's only backup? We have a few running backs in our stable...

Sorry to start another thread on trading away a running back, but... I'm just saying...might make some sense to see what they have on offer.

EDIT: PFT Link: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/...coffee-retires/

Glenn Coffee, the SF 49ers 3rd draft pick last year, just "retired" apparently because he got yelled at for being run over by some SF defensive player.

Second of all, are they really going to enter the season with Michael Robinson as Frank Gore's only backup? We have a few running backs in our stable...

Sorry to start another thread on trading away a running back, but... I'm just saying...might make some sense to see what they have on offer.

Well, I guess the questions is, as is usually the case with careers that are so short (for example, Gayle Sayers), are his numbers good enough to get him into the Hall?

Put down your mug and step away from the coffee maker.

that guy is the "p" word. He gave back over half million dollars because he didn't like Tom Rathman yelling at him and he just happened to take a solid lick from a blitzer? Unreal...this guy is an embarrassment.

Yes! Let's trade Marshawn for him for the first 8 games to SF and then trade Marshawn for the last 8 games to Baltimore for Gaither.

I don't think anyone was suggesting we trade for Coffee -- The dude is clearly a loser/crybaby/quiter or whatever you want to call him -- The idea is to get something of value from SF in return for a RB (be it Lynch/Jackson) since they don't really have a #2 and Gore is somewhat injury prone.

I don't think anyone was suggesting we trade for Coffee -- The dude is clearly a loser/crybaby/quiter or whatever you want to call him -- The idea is to get something of value from SF in return for a RB (be it Lynch/Jackson) since they don't really have a #2 and Gore is somewhat injury prone.

Can we trade Marshawn for Tom Rathman?

We don't know all the facts but it appears that Glenn Coffee is not only a quitter, but that he's also pretty stupid.

According to PFT:

"The team will be able to recover the balance of his $828,000 signing bonus on a four-year deal. It works out to $621,000."

Now granted, $621,000 might not seem like a lot when we talk about NFL players.

And perhaps, Coffee is actually the exception, a guy who is smart enough not to need that money…who will do well in life after football.

But for most people, that's a big chunk of money. According to Wiki Answers, "Over a lifetime, high school grads average $1.2 million; with a bachelor's degree, $2.1 million; a master's degree, $2.5 million."

Coffee left Alabama after his junior season…I'd be willing to bet he doesn't have his college degree.

So to oversimplify my criticism, Coffee is walking away from about 50% of his projected life's earnings.

And here's the thing. If he was cut, he could keep his guaranteed signing bonus. By retiring (if he actually files the papers), he forfeits that money.

On some level, we should respect people's choices, and laud those who don't hold money as the end all, and that are thoughtful enough or deep enough to walk away from a career as an NFL player and pursue their own true happiness.

But I'd be willing to bet that Coffee comes to his senses (with a little help from his agent, who's commission is also in jeopardy) and return to the team.

Most people when confronted with the facts will simply not turn their back on $621,000.

They said he was likely retiring to become a minister. Can't fault him for it if that's actually the case. Money isn't everything though it is nice to have enough to live comfortably.

Yeah, it's great if you like your minister to go running away crying like a baby the first time Satan kicks him in the nuts :thumbsup:

We don't know all the facts but it appears that Glenn Coffee is not only a quitter, but that he's also pretty stupid.

According to PFT:

"The team will be able to recover the balance of his $828,000 signing bonus on a four-year deal. It works out to $621,000."

Now granted, $621,000 might not seem like a lot when we talk about NFL players.

And perhaps, Coffee is actually the exception, a guy who is smart enough not to need that money…who will do well in life after football.

But for most people, that's a big chunk of money. According to Wiki Answers, "Over a lifetime, high school grads average $1.2 million; with a bachelor's degree, $2.1 million; a master's degree, $2.5 million."

Coffee left Alabama after his junior season…I'd be willing to bet he doesn't have his college degree.

So to oversimplify my criticism, Coffee is walking away from about 50% of his projected life's earnings.

And here's the thing. If he was cut, he could keep his guaranteed signing bonus. By retiring (if he actually files the papers), he forfeits that money.

On some level, we should respect people's choices, and laud those who don't hold money as the end all, and that are thoughtful enough or deep enough to walk away from a career as an NFL player and pursue their own true happiness.

But I'd be willing to bet that Coffee comes to his senses (with a little help from his agent, who's commission is also in jeopardy) and return to the team.

Most people when confronted with the facts will simply not turn their back on $621,000.

or he was honorable, in that he didnt steal from the team. he apparently has a higher calling than the NFL.

or he was honorable, in that he didnt steal from the team. he apparently has a higher calling than the NFL.

Well, Glenn Coffee filed his retirement papers with the league so it looks like he's gonna go through with this.

I was wrong.

For whatever reason he walked away from the $621,000 he could have received by simply being cut, instead of retiring.

Kudos to him for not sandbagging and forcing the team to cut him.

That's a lot of money to turn your back on but he was certainly sincere about not wanting to play football any longer.