DirecTV Questions

PIZ

Hey Fezmid, a related yet unrelated questions.

I am a happy DirecTv subscriber, but can't figure out why pay per views and HBOs only present certain broadcasts in Dolby Sourround. They are all available in Dolby, but almost never broadcast that way. (and I do have a dolby box and receiver)

Thanks

I think that customer service and value are excellent with Directv.  However the picture quality on as standard NTSC tv connected via S VIDEO cables is poor compared to most cable.  The problem is that they  squeeze lots of information (channels) over a narrow bandwith.  There is too much compression and digital artifacts that are present. 

Cable is usually worse in most places. The addition of lots of HD channels, combined with all the digital channels cable has added is forcing them to add major compression as well. Some places apparantly look really good, but not the majority of the country.

CW

Hey Fezmid, a related yet unrelated questions.

I am a happy DirecTv subscriber, but can't figure out why pay per views and HBOs only present certain broadcasts in Dolby Sourround. They are all available in Dolby, but almost never broadcast that way. (and I do have a dolby box and receiver)

Thanks

791[/snapback]

No idea. I'm guessing it's a bandwidth issue -- 5.1 takes more than 2.0 -- but I'm not sure.

CL: Thanks for the plug. I never got any email/paypal from you yesterday regarding the Broncos preseason game though. Must not think they're *that* nice. :rolleyes:

CW

But where did the person you're getting it from buy it from?  DirecTV.  Therefore, they still subsidized it.  You just bought it from a middle-man, no different than buying it from Best Buy or DirecTV themselves.  They subsidize ALL of the hardware.

CW

785[/snapback]

I guess we are arguing on slightly different points. At some point, their subsidy has been paid for - in this case by the guy on e-bay who wants to sell the equipment. So why then do I have to buy new equipment from DirecTV ? And why do I have to sign a contract for something that DirecTV has already been compensated for by the previous owner ?

It is obvious I am in a minority here, but I particularly don't mind the cable company's monopoly as it is nto hurting me. I subscribe only to analog and would pull that plug too if it wasn't for my kids. Further, for connecting 3 TVs, analog cable is still cheaper. I haven't ever had to call for service problems so don't ahve anything to complani about. Monopolies in themselves are not bad - unless they are hosing the consumers which, in this case, is not true compared to DirecTV.

:rolleyes: Sorry cablelady, but its true. It doesn't matter though, one day we'll all work for 'THE COMPANY" Just one big corporation that does it all.

How ever that being said, it still beats the monopolies of Time Warner

:blink:

786[/snapback]

I guess we are arguing on slightly different points. At some point, their subsidy has been paid for - in this case by the guy on e-bay who wants to sell the equipment. So why then do I have to buy new equipment from DirecTV ? And why do I have to sign a contract for something that DirecTV has already been compensated for by the previous owner ?

It is obvious I am in a minority here, but I particularly don't mind the cable company's monopoly as it is nto hurting me. I subscribe only to analog and would pull that plug too if it wasn't for my kids. Further, for connecting 3 TVs, analog cable is still cheaper. I haven't ever had to call for service problems so don't ahve anything to complani about. Monopolies in themselves are not bad - unless they are hosing the consumers which, in this case, is not true compared to DirecTV.

803[/snapback]

That'd be true if you were buying 1st generation receivers. Chances are, the guy on eBay sold third party.

This is no different then cell-phone companies -- they give you the phone for really really cheap but you have to sign a 1-2 year contract so that they can recoup their costs.

That said, if you don't watch much TV and get what you need from analog, by all means stick with it.

CW

That'd be true if you were buying 1st generation receivers.  Chances are, the guy on eBay sold third party.

This is no different then cell-phone companies -- they give you the phone for really really cheap but you have to sign a 1-2 year contract so that they can recoup their costs.

That said, if you don't watch much TV and get what you need from analog, by all means stick with it.

CW

825[/snapback]

Thanx for a good debate.

A couple months back, I passed along the info that DirecTV was not going to allow users to have only the NFL ST after this year. My source was the telephone customer service rep of thiers. Whether she passed along an inside rumor or fact I cannot say as I haven't any confirmation of this any where else. Personally, DirecTV has a programming edge over Dish, but Dish for many people more than makes up for this with programming prices that easier on the old pocket. Dish basic package begins at approx $24.99 compared to DirecTV's $37.99. However the more premium content you add, the cost difference narrows.

DirecTV menus, guides, and channel surfing all seem to be noticeably quicker than seen on Dish, but I can only say that's my experience. Both suffer from very heavily compressed signals, yet again from my perspective the picture they provide is FAR superior to Cable (yes, even better than Cable's Digital). TWC is running a promotion here to gain back satellite users so they've offered a package of their Classic and Digital channels, with HBO (12 channels approx) and Showtime (10-11 channels approx) along with their version of a Tivo style Box for 31.19 a month (12 months). I took it and terminated Dish for the time being. I, of course, have my DirecTV NFL ST still active.

An in-home distribution system can and does solve many multiple TV hookup issues and mine includes modulators to take a single Sat Receivers output and run it to all 7 TV's in my home. However, to ensure the modulated signals (Sat) are of quality, don't purchase the cheapies. Get quality modulators, you'll really notice the difference. Now that I'm on Cable, the only modulator currently active is the one for DirecTV - NFL ST and I converted it to cable channel 121 to view on all 7 of our TV's.

So: DirecTV may be the best all around service, followed by Dish (best basic pricing), and then lowly Cable (that I'm currently using until their 12 month promo expires, then back to Satellite full time). Cable's best offering is highspeed Internet, not Television and now that their moving into phone service too, Cable may offer some value here as well. So pick your poison, sit back, and enjoy. Choice is a good thing.

A couple months back, I passed along the info that DirecTV was not going to allow users to have only the NFL ST after this year. My source was the telephone customer service rep of thiers. Whether she passed along an inside rumor or fact I cannot say as I haven't any confirmation of this any where else.

988[/snapback]

I really hope this doesn't happen. I don't see how they can force someone to pay for packages when they only want to view NFL Sunday Ticket. They already lost a huge lawsuit a couple years ago over Ala Carte games.

I already pay almost $100 mo for cable, and that includes Internet, HBO's and HDTV. I'll buy Sirius radio and listen to the games, before I pay $500 yr to watch the games on Directv.

I really hope this doesn't happen.  I don't see how they can force someone to pay for packages when they only want to view NFL Sunday Ticket. They already lost a huge lawsuit a couple years ago over Ala Carte games.

I already pay almost $100 mo for cable, and that includes Internet, HBO's and HDTV. I'll buy Sirius radio and listen to the games, before I pay $500 yr to watch the games on Directv.

1614[/snapback]

Can you pay for only the sports page of your local paper instead of the whole thing?

Can you pay your cable company for just ESPN?

Can you pay your internet provider for access to only TSW?

Subsidy, subsidy, subsidy. It's how the world goes 'round.

And they hardly "lost a huge lawsuit," unless giving coupons to the NFL Shop and allowing people to pay $30/week for NFL Sunday Ticket is huge loss...

CW

Can you pay for only the sports page of your local paper instead of the whole thing?

Subsidy, subsidy, subsidy.  It's how the world goes 'round.

And they hardly "lost a huge lawsuit," unless giving coupons to the NFL Shop and allowing people to pay $30/week for NFL Sunday Ticket is huge loss...

CW

1742[/snapback]

But that is what some of us have today.... Regional Sports & NFL, had it since '98. For DTV to change the rules now sucks. I have cable for the internet & the 6 TV's in the house and DTV for my 'office' for Sports. When the rules change, it'll cost me more than $40 more per month than today. If I dump cable TV & go all DTV, the cable company may tell me I can't use their internet because I can't just have 'one piece'. So I'm screwed, right? Say what you want but I'll cancel DTV 1st & wait for '06 for the NFL.

:D

PS: I recently bought an unopened never sub'd Tivo on EBay & activated it with my present package. I was told then that this was the last year of the NFL without a minimun of 'Total Choice'. Try to activate a reciever online & read what the requirements are,,,, It'll tell you just that. Thats why I did mine over the phone & got the guys name to ensure my package stayed intact(for now anyway). ;)

Subsidy, subsidy, subsidy.  It's how the world goes 'round.

CW

1742[/snapback]

Fezmid, I've seen how Directv operates firsthand. I had Sports package Ala-Carte for years @ $15 mo. Decided I wanted to add an HBO package on DTV to watch the Sopranos because it was cheaper than Cable. After 2 months, Sopranos was off so I decided to switch back to Sports Ala Carte. They promised me I could switch back when I got the HBO, but when I called them they

said Sports Ala Carte was no longer available, but I could get the Sports package on another package for $36 mo...

So, it doesn't suprise me they would try to do this with the NFL package.

When next years contract comes up is it possible the NFL will decide to split it up and show Sunday Ticket on Cable Networks as PPV much like it does NHL, NBA, ESPN College games? Or just limit it to DTV like it is now?

The upcoming contract is going to be interesting........

Fezmid,  I've seen how Directv operates firsthand. I had Sports package Ala-Carte for years @ $15 mo. Decided I wanted to add an HBO package on DTV to watch the Sopranos because it was cheaper than Cable. After 2 months, Sopranos was off so I decided to switch back to Sports Ala Carte. They promised me I could switch back when I got the HBO, but when I called them they

said Sports Ala Carte was no longer available, but I could get the Sports package on another package for $36 mo...

So, it doesn't suprise me they would try to do this with the NFL package.

When next years contract comes up is it possible the NFL will decide to split it up and show Sunday Ticket on Cable Networks as PPV much like it does NHL, NBA, ESPN College games?  Or just limit it to DTV like it is now? 

The upcoming contract is going to be interesting........

1767[/snapback]

Good points..... I like DTV but screw their tactics. I'm all for the NFL going to cable. :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:

Will she still get her shows?  How much would local channels (if that's what I'd need for CBS, NBC, & FOX) cost?  Now I'M CONFUSED.

746[/snapback]

Total Choice is $37.99 per month. Total Choice with locals is $39.99 per month. It's only 2 dollars more, in essence!

You don't have to buy the equipment from Directv, but it has to be Directv equipment to work with their system.

Buy it from Best Buy, Circuit City, Rapid Satellite, or Ebay. Doesn't matter, as long as you get their programming.

Get Tivo. You won't regret it, and you'll wonder how you ever watched TV without it, right Fezmid? :lol:

Archived