DirecTV Questions

PIZ

I just got my DirecTV hooked backed up. I did it myself. Right now, I only subscribe to NFL Sunday Ticket. So I get the Bills games and I can also order Pay Per View. Yesterday, someone on the board said next year you (me) will have to subscribe to a package in order to get NFL Sunday Ticket. Is this true?

Yesterday, I also received an email from DirecTV trying to sell me a DVR for $79.99. Is that a good deal?

So, what I've been thinking, is if I do have to get a package next year, I'm going to have to drop my cable and go all out DirecTV. But I have 3 TV's (possibly adding 1 more) and we record a lot of shows since we don't have time while the lttle guys are awake. So what would it cost me to have Tivo (DVR?) on say 2 TV's and the other one just have standard DirecTV. Does this sound right:

a. Total Choice Package-----------$39.99/month.

b. NFL Sunday Ticket-------------$180.00/season.

c. 2 Tivo's--------------------------$4.99/month.

c. Additional receivers------------$4.99/month x 3 = $14.97.

I just got my DirecTV hooked backed up.  I did it myself.  Right now, I only subscribe to NFL Sunday Ticket.  So I get the Bills games and I can also order Pay Per View.  Yesterday, someone on the board said next year you (me) will have to subscribe to a package in order to get NFL Sunday Ticket.  Is this true? 

Yesterday, I also received an email from DirecTV trying to sell me a DVR for $79.99.  Is that a good deal?

So, what I've been thinking, is if I do have to get a package next year, I'm going to have to drop my cable and go all out DirecTV.  But I have 3 TV's (possibly adding 1 more) and we record a lot of shows since we don't have time while the lttle guys are awake.  So what would it cost me to have Tivo (DVR?) on say 2 TV's and the other one just have standard DirecTV.  Does this sound right:

a.  Total Choice Package-----------$39.99/month.

b.  NFL Sunday Ticket-------------$180.00/season.

c.  2 Tivo's--------------------------$4.99/month.

c.  Additional receivers------------$4.99/month x 3 = $14.97.

519[/snapback]

Requiring Total Choice for Sunday Ticket is a rumor at this point. No official word has been released that I've seen. However, I wouldn't be surprised.

Additional receivers is only $4.99/mont x 2 (your first one is covered in the package). So your total would be $54.96. I'm pretty sure that they have a cheaper tier package if you wanted, but I don't remember offhand. Also, there's no guarantee on what Sunday Ticket will cost. Also, you are correct in that two TiVo's only costs $4.99/month (the same as 1 TiVo or 50 TiVos; a lot of people think it's $5/month/TiVo).

Now if you don't ever watch three different shows on all three TVs at the same time, you could reduce your receivers down to one or two and just distribute the signal from the box to the remote TV. Use an RF remote control and you'd be set (or use IR repeaters). Not sure if it's worth it to you to save the mirrored receiver fee though.

And $80 for the TiVo is the lowest I've seen. Make sure it's new, not refurb though; I know I've seen them for $80 new at Best Buy/Circuit City before. In fact, you might want to check that anyway, since they'll probably charge you $10 for shipping, whereas picking it up at the store would be free.

CW

I just got my DirecTV hooked backed up.  I did it myself.  Right now, I only subscribe to NFL Sunday Ticket.  So I get the Bills games and I can also order Pay Per View.  Yesterday, someone on the board said next year you (me) will have to subscribe to a package in order to get NFL Sunday Ticket.  Is this true? 

Yesterday, I also received an email from DirecTV trying to sell me a DVR for $79.99.  Is that a good deal?

So, what I've been thinking, is if I do have to get a package next year, I'm going to have to drop my cable and go all out DirecTV.  But I have 3 TV's (possibly adding 1 more) and we record a lot of shows since we don't have time while the lttle guys are awake.  So what would it cost me to have Tivo (DVR?) on say 2 TV's and the other one just have standard DirecTV.  Does this sound right:

519[/snapback]

Both Circuit City and Best buy are offering Directv Tivo's for the same price without $15 shipping charge. As far as I see they are all brand new in boxes.

I hear a lot of talk about NFL Sunday ticket with out a subscription. If you didn't have a subscription, how do you watch any other channels??? Do you still subscribe to cable for that? If so why would you use the dish for some programming and cable for the other?

I'M CONFUSED :rolleyes:

I hear a lot of talk about NFL Sunday ticket with out a subscription. If you didn't have a subscription, how do you watch any other channels??? Do you still subscribe to cable for that? If so why would you use the dish for some programming and cable for the other?

I'M CONFUSED  :rolleyes:

604[/snapback]

DirecTV and Dish Network both thrive on such confusion. I installed my Dish Network myself and ordered JUST south east Asian programming with no contracts and no other obligations. It is no problem - they do charge an addiitonal $5 'access fee' which i am cool with.

So I have cable on all TVs and DIsh connected to one TV. The only thing I like about the cable is that for one fee I can conect as many TVs as I want.

519[/snapback]

Dish Network's base price is about $10 cheaper with the same other costs. If you have already isntalled DirecTV, then I suggest you get Dish network for the rest of the programming.

I think DirecTV is gettign more and more arrogant. I called them up and said 'I can buy your dish and receivers from eBay. So can I hust get all the programming for no contract obligations and extra charge per receiver ?' And they said 'No - you can only subscribe to our programming if yo get the original equipment from us !". What kinda crap is that ? Dish Network let me get just SE Asian programming when I installed it myself.

when I got my Directv last year, I was told I couldn't JUST get the NFL package, I HAD to get some type of programing package... are there new customers who are being told they don't have to get anything except the NFL package??? that is news to me, I argued with the saleswoman for like 5 minutes about this point.....

Dish Network's base price is about $10 cheaper with the same other costs. If you have already isntalled DirecTV, then I suggest you get Dish network for the rest of the programming.

I think DirecTV is gettign more and more arrogant. I called them up and said 'I can buy your dish and receivers from eBay. So can I hust get all the programming for no contract obligations and extra charge per receiver ?' And they said 'No - you can only subscribe to our programming if yo get the original equipment from us !". What kinda crap is that ? Dish Network let me get just SE Asian programming when I  installed it myself.

724[/snapback]

You have to remember that all of the hardware is free/near free because DirecTV subsidizes the costs. You get your five receiver deal for free, but they need you to remain a customer for a year to help recoup the costs of the free hardware.

If you're not interested in sports, then Dish network is a good choice. Their hardware isn't as good (their PVR is downright bad from what I've read), and they don't have as many channels (especially sports), but otherwise they're still good.

Cable lets you connect to as many TVs as you want for free because they can't stop you. It's analog. You don't get their digital signal for free on all TVs though - and DirecTV is all digital.

Regarding Sunday Ticket -- again, the base price of the subscriptions subsidizes Sunday Ticket. Not many people thought the Ticket would be less than $200 after the new contract was signed -- but it has been for the past two years (for returning customers). They have to pay the NFL somehow, so part of that is from other programming. I really don't see what the big deal is. And, as another poster said, why use cable when you already have a dish up? DirecTV is VERY good about being fair to their customers -- they've given me well over $500 worth of credits over the past 6+ years. Cable gave me NOTHING when I had problems.

BTW, Sunday Ticket is exclusive to DirecTV this season and next. For the 2006 season, it will be available for purchase by cable outlets if they're interested.

CW

I'M CONFUSED  :rolleyes:

604[/snapback]

Yeah, I still have cable. I got DirecTV when NFL Sunday Ticket became available. I don't think local channels were available then. My wife watches ER, CSI, CSI Miami, Survivor, Cold Case, CSI New York, etc. We record a lot and watch it later. So she gets her shows (cable) and I get mine (NFL Sunday Ticket). I'm thinking about going all-out DirecTV, but I am hesitant. Will she still get her shows? How much would local channels (if that's what I'd need for CBS, NBC, & FOX) cost? Now I'M CONFUSED.

Yeah, I still have cable.  I got DirecTV when NFL Sunday Ticket became available.  I don't think local channels were available then.  My wife watches ER, CSI, CSI Miami, Survivor, Cold Case, CSI New York, etc.  We record a lot and watch it later.  So she gets her shows (cable) and I get mine (NFL Sunday Ticket).  I'm thinking about going all-out DirecTV, but I am hesitant.  Will she still get her shows?  How much would local channels (if that's what I'd need for CBS, NBC, & FOX) cost?  Now I'M CONFUSED.

746[/snapback]

I get locals here in Buffalo and I think it was a $5 per month charge. (This also gave me other addiditonal channels in addition to my locals)

:)  :rolleyes:  :blink:

For the cooking shows????

715[/snapback]

Very funny ! My wife missed the sitcoms from India and so we get those on 3 dedicated channels. It is great ! We can also get cricket matches on PPV. Consider hey charge at least $20 per match and here we are discussing giving $20 to SDS for supporting this great forum for a full year.

You have to remember that all of the hardware is free/near free because DirecTV subsidizes the costs.  You get your five receiver deal for free, but they need you to remain a customer for a year to help recoup the costs of the free hardware.

CW

745[/snapback]

But that is exactly my point. If I buy the equipment, there is nothing that they need to subsidize. Also this per receiver charge drives me crazy.

How would you like it if the broadband providers charged per Computer connected in your house ? Or SBC charged per telephone connected. I don;t care about their technology, I just think about it from my consumer and convenience view-point.

Yeah, I still have cable.  I got DirecTV when NFL Sunday Ticket became available.  I don't think local channels were available then.  My wife watches ER, CSI, CSI Miami, Survivor, Cold Case, CSI New York, etc.  We record a lot and watch it later.  So she gets her shows (cable) and I get mine (NFL Sunday Ticket).  I'm thinking about going all-out DirecTV, but I am hesitant.  Will she still get her shows?  How much would local channels (if that's what I'd need for CBS, NBC, & FOX) cost?  Now I'M CONFUSED.

746[/snapback]

What city do you live in? Most cities have locals available nowadays (although you may need a new dish; if you've been a customer for awhile, you can get it for free by calling DirecTV and asking for Customer Retention; then ask them for the dish).

Total Choice with Locals is (I think) $37.99. Total Choice Plus with Locals is $39.99.

CW

I think that customer service and value are excellent with Directv. However the picture quality on as standard NTSC tv connected via S VIDEO cables is poor compared to most cable. The problem is that they squeeze lots of information (channels) over a narrow bandwith. There is too much compression and digital artifacts that are present. Even my not so techy wife picks up on them. How ever that being said, it still beats the monopolies of Time Warner, Cocks Cable and Cablevison

Also the option of Direcway high speed internet is not a good value over DSL or Cable. Since we opted out of our cable service and don't want to pay$50+ a month for internet, and we can't get dsl, we are stuck with dial up at home.

But that is exactly my point. If I buy the equipment, there is nothing that they need to subsidize. Also this per receiver charge drives me crazy.

How would you like it if the broadband providers charged per Computer connected in your house ? Or SBC charged per telephone connected. I don;t care about their technology, I just think about it from my consumer and convenience view-point.

772[/snapback]

But where did the person you're getting it from buy it from? DirecTV. Therefore, they still subsidized it. You just bought it from a middle-man, no different than buying it from Best Buy or DirecTV themselves. They subsidize ALL of the hardware.

Oh, and Comcast DOES charge per computer hooked up. Their terms of service say that you can't connect multiple computers up at the base rate. They don't enforce it, but they could at any time if they wanted to. And when I signed up with CONcast, they did wnat to charge me extra to basically NAT my house. I declined and did it myself, but as I said, they could start enforcing their policy at any time.

Cablelady: :-p Most weren't for problems, I just asked for free stuff and they gave it to me because I'm such a good customer. LA can vouch :rolleyes:

CW

Archived