Why Torbor will start

bowery4

Torbor, at 6-foot-2 and 250 pounds, has a bigger, stouter frame than Maybin (even though Maybin is listed at 6-4, 250). Torbor also has a firm grasp of the Bills' defense because he played the past two years for Bills defensive coordinator George Edwards, who was inside linebackers coach in Miami.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/article97375.ece

* sorry if it is in the other more immature Maybin thread already :) *

Torbor, at 6-foot-2 and 250 pounds, has a bigger, stouter frame than Maybin (even though Maybin is listed at 6-4, 250). Torbor also has a firm grasp of the Bills' defense because he played the past two years for Bills defensive coordinator George Edwards, who was inside linebackers coach in Miami.

* sorry if it is in the other more immature Maybin thread already :) *

It is very disappointing that this is even an issue. From watching practice, it is very clear that Maybin has far

better athletic ability, but yet he can't get past a midling journeyman on the depth chart. I hope that Maybin

comes on and becomes the player his athletic ability would allow him to be, but this is not a good sign.

It could be that the journey man is good, there is that chance. I hope it isn't that he's a coaches favorite. I saw a few of the giants games the year they mentioned and he did look good but look who he was surrounded by.

Methinks, like countless others I'm sure, that Maybin left college a year too early. While I have no personal experience with it, I'd have to imagine that NFL defenses are probably complex things that build on basic knowledge. This kind of basic knowledge is presumably built up through peewee, high school, and college ball. By the time you hit the NFL, you have to be ready to take that to a whole other level and incorporate that into your game. I'm not saying that all NFL players are geniuses; far from it. But they do have an understanding of the game, ingrained in them so much that it has to be instinctive to them at this point.

If Maybin never fully developed that instinctiveness in his shorter Penn State career, then I can see how it would extremely difficult to do it at this level. It has to be like trying to take Calc II without having finished Pre-Calc: you have some idea of what's going on, but a lot of it is flying by really fast and it's tough to pick up the pace. Hopefully the learning curve won't be too bad after another season in the NFL, but you really don't know. I hope for both Maybin and the Bills that he pans out.

It is very disappointing that this is even an issue. From watching practice, it is very clear that Maybin has far

better athletic ability, but yet he can't get past a midling journeyman on the depth chart. I hope that Maybin

comes on and becomes the player his athletic ability would allow him to be, but this is not a good sign.

Maybe this is a way for this coaching staff to let their players earn their spots and push these top-round picks (McKelvin, Maybin) to the next level they are capable of. In the end, speed wins in NFL. I don't see these guys on the sidelines for too long.

Maybe this is a way for this coaching staff to let their players earn their spots and push these top-round picks (McKelvin, Maybin) to the next level they are capable of. In the end, speed wins in NFL. I don't see these guys on the sidelines for too long.

I like Maybin: Not close to givin' up on him yet. Maybe we should all go back and look at his Penn State Highlight reel again:) You gotta admit, even the Maybin haters, that when he's comfortable, and feels like he knows what he's doin he can CHASE some SH** down from behind, and make plays in the backfield.

However, I will admit that this change to a 3-4 may have saved his career. Highlight reel notwithstanding, I think I've seen him get swallowed up enough to have serious legitimate doubts as to whether he would have ever transformed into a traditional pass rushing defensive end out of a three pt stance.

My instincts tell me, if he'd remained in the 4-3 he probably would have lived up to the Erik Flowers comparisons.

"BRYCE PAUP FOREVER......erik flowers?, meh

Methinks, like countless others I'm sure, that Maybin left college a year too early. While I have no personal experience with it, I'd have to imagine that NFL defenses are probably complex things that build on basic knowledge. This kind of basic knowledge is presumably built up through peewee, high school, and college ball. By the time you hit the NFL, you have to be ready to take that to a whole other level and incorporate that into your game. I'm not saying that all NFL players are geniuses; far from it. But they do have an understanding of the game, ingrained in them so much that it has to be instinctive to them at this point.

If Maybin never fully developed that instinctiveness in his shorter Penn State career, then I can see how it would extremely difficult to do it at this level. It has to be like trying to take Calc II without having finished Pre-Calc: you have some idea of what's going on, but a lot of it is flying by really fast and it's tough to pick up the pace. Hopefully the learning curve won't be too bad after another season in the NFL, but you really don't know. I hope for both Maybin and the Bills that he pans out.

It may be more a physical issue than mental. Torbor is a much harder hitter. Maybin is fast but plays small.

PTR

Interesting point. If this is the case, I like this approach.

When you think about it, there is a clear theme emerging from this (Gailey/Nix) regime, both from what they say and what they do - to get on the field you need to EARN it. Being a high draft choice on this team doesn't entitle you to anything, you need to produce.

Maybin looked like he weighed 150 lbs last year when he played, albeit a quick 150. Anytime he was touched he was either driven back 10 yards or crumbled to the ground. He's got no ass! He looks like a male GQ model but his muscles don't translate into football strength. When a RB steps up to block you and you can't move him backwards, and your a NFL-DE, you got no ass behind you!

Maybe he could ask Bruce Smith for a butt transplant? <_< In all seriousness though, I don't have a problem if Maybin is only a situational rusher this year as long as he is effective at that. Remember people, Orakpo was a 23 year old rookie who as a freshman at Texas was only 220 lbs. It takes time to grow into your body. After this season I hope for a very powerlifting type training program for Maybin, and if he's still not a 3 down player by then, I will be on the bustwagon.

I'm not worried about Maybin at all. In fact, I'm glad Torbor has come in with a SB ring to add some desperately needed leadership to this team of toddlers Nix and Gailey has surrounded himself with. And of course he was picked up because Edwards coached him in Miami. That is the way it always works in the NFL.

But I hope Reggie stays healthy, and I hope he starts the entire season, with Maybin coming on on either side in passing situations to do nothing but use that natural talent of his to chase the QB all over the place. <_<

On average QBs,WRs, DBs and OL need three years before they fully grasp their positions. On average DL and LBs take one or two years. Maybin is very young, someone recently reported he is still the second youngest on the team. He has played his current position for only a few months. Give him this year and next and then start humping his a$$ but until then leave the freaking guy alone and allow him to make the most of his opportunity without having to worry about what a bunch of internet losers have to say. Same with TE, Bell, Nelson, Youbouty, Lynch etc....None of these guys had any say as to when and where they would be picked in the draft. So why do we feel we can verbally abuse them for something they had no control over? Get a life people and b!tch about those players with more than three years experience that underperform, Lee, Donte, Roscoe, Chris, etc.

* sorry if it is in the other more immature Maybin thread already :thumbsup: *

I can't wait to see this defense play.. I just wish the preseason games were avaiable in my area..

Does anyone honestly think Maybin would still be on the roster if he were a street free agent and not a #1 pick a year ago? Seriously. This guy will be the posterboy for the ineptness of the Bills franchise for the past decade. And James Hardy is right behind him. This guy has the IQ of a tree stump.

Last season, Maybin was the #4 DE and got on the field for less than 10 snaps a game. The natural progression for him would be to move up to #3 this season, becoming the "situational pass rusher". Hopefully next season he'll be ready to handle a starting job.

Dream on. Time to face reality.