NFL teams vs. College teams

hey does anyone think its honestly possible that a college team could beat an nfl team? it seems like it could be. You know like maybe a really good usc or texas team could beat the raiders or the rams, but not the bills haha. what do you guys think about this.

Not a prayer.

PTR

This has done before but it absolutely insane. Even the best college team doesn't get half of their team drafted. Every pro team has the best of the best college players on their roster. They are essential an older, veteran college all star team. No matter how bad the pro team was, it would be an absolute sluaghter.

That said, I'd love to see that game. But I think you won't being putting the college kids at serious risk for injury.

In addition, the pro teams are about playing ball with 100% of the time they can devote to the game. In college, though often the scholar-athletes are at best athlete-scholars if only to the extent they pretend to put effort into education it is a different thing than when your fulltime job is playing the game.

Merely the distractions of being 19 and learning about yourself and being 25 and having at least already made a bunch of decisions is a huge difference.

There are even physical maturation differences where collegiate athletes are still growing and pro athletes have hit a peak in their physical abilities (and modern neurological theory is demonstrating that full neurological connections between the action parts of the brain and the logical decision making parts of the brain are still not fully formed until the early 20s (this is in part why youngsters are such risk takers and why giving an 16-21 year old a license to drive several tons of metal which can go 100 miles an hour is not necessarily a good idea. Why we give kids a license to drive at 16, allow them to vote at 18 but understand that when they drink before 21 bad things happen is somewhat interesting.

At any rate a collection of young pros has it all over collegiate athletes in a number of ways which often have an impact when it comes down to the final seconds of a tight game. I do not think that the game would even be close though.

Perhaps with the right Herb Brooks type to challenge these youngsters to take on the professionals it would be like the Miracle on Ice. However, the fact that this was a miracle provides you with a general sense of how hard and rare it is to have plucky lads do in paid professionals.

There was a time when the NFL Champion played the College All Star team in a preseason/exhibition game every year.

In fact, one of the Vince Lombardi era Packers teams lost to the college all-stars. Lombardi was NOT pleased.

On one hand, it's the best of the college players. On the other hand they would presumably be much less cohesive (as an all-star team with a few days of practice) than their NFL opponent.

So yes, of course a college team could beat a pro team, not unlike the US Ice Hockey Team beat the Soviet juggernaut in the Miracle on Ice.

It's only a matter of how frequently they would beat them.

Once in 20 games?

Once in 50 games?

There was a time when the NFL Champion played the College All Star team in a preseason/exhibition game every year.

In fact, one of the Vince Lombardi era Packers teams lost to the college all-stars. Lombardi was NOT pleased.

On one hand, it's the best of the college players. On the other hand they would presumably be much less cohesive (as an all-star team with a few days of practice) than their NFL opponent.

So yes, of course a college team could beat a pro team, not unlike the US Ice Hockey Team beat the Soviet juggernaut in the Miracle on Ice.

It's only a matter of how frequently they would beat them.

Once in 20 games?

Once in 50 games?

And the Bills lost to a CFL team.

PTR

Depends on the team. Detroit, the Bills, Tampa...perhaps

A college All-Star team, sure. Definitely. But as others have mentioned, it would be tough for a great college team (i.e. USC 4 years ago), to beat even the worst NFL team. More than half of the guys on that great college team would fail to even get an invite to an NFL training camp. No matter how terrible that NFL team may be, every single player on that roster, down to the 3rd string QB, is still an NFL player (who most likely had great success as a collegian)..

in my opinion it should be a slaughter by the NFL team. and i think it would manifest itself through the line play foremost (and as mentioned earlier the NFL is the best of the best), i can't imagine a college line being able to go four quarters against ANY starting NFL line. one quarter "game"? yes, maybe....when is the last time you have ever heard a rookie lineman say that he is satisfied with his strength, weight, "feet and hand" work? never.

A college All-Star team, sure. Definitely. But as others have mentioned, it would be tough for a great college team (i.e. USC 4 years ago), to beat even the worst NFL team. More than half of the guys on that great college team would fail to even get an invite to an NFL training camp. No matter how terrible that NFL team may be, every single player on that roster, down to the 3rd string QB, is still an NFL player (who most likely had great success as a collegian)..

in my opinion it should be a slaughter by the NFL team. and i think it would manifest itself through the line play foremost (and as mentioned earlier the NFL is the best of the best), i can't imagine a college line being able to go four quarters against ANY starting NFL line. one quarter "game"? yes, maybe....when is the last time you have ever heard a rookie lineman say that he is satisfied with his strength, weight, "feet and hand" work? never.

I disagree with you guys.

I don't think that it is beyond the realm of possibility that a great college team could beat a horrible NFL team every once in a great while.

It's only a matter of how frequently.

Does the college team win once every 50 games?

Once every 100 games?

Once every 1000 games?

Think of all the great upsets in sports history where a team overcame very steep odds to win.

It's almost a statistical certainty that a much weaker team will occasionally beat a far superior team.

hey does anyone think its honestly possible that a college team could beat an nfl team? it seems like it could be. You know like maybe a really good usc or texas team could beat the raiders or the rams, but not the bills haha. what do you guys think about this.

no

It was also thought a football team from the Football Championship Subdivision (formerly 1-AA) could never beat a Division 1-A team, let alone a team ranked #5 in the country, yet Appalachian State beat Michigan (in Michigan's own house) back in 2007.

It was also thought a football team from the Football Championship Subdivision (formerly 1-AA) could never beat a Division 1-A team, let alone a team ranked #5 in the country, yet Appalachian State beat Michigan (in Michigan's own house) back in 2007.

There is no comparison between the difference between I-A and I-AA and the NFL and I-A. It's not even close. In fact, App State might have had as many players picked in the top 2 rounds as Michigan.

This ios like saying a good high school team could beat a good college team. It really makes no sense. The Lions have won 3 games the last 2 year, yet they have Calvin Johnson and Mat Stafford. It's funny to talk about it but if you honsetly believe it could happen, you're crazy. I'd still like to see the game though.

Even on the best Texas teams and the best USC teams only 10-14 players will make it to the NFL and maybe 4-6 will have meaningful careers. NFL teams are full of players who were the best or one of the best on their college teams. Even a bench player on the Rams was a star at his college.

IF NFL teams played a college team even a great college team the NFL team would win 98 out of 100 times.

This ios like saying a good high school team could beat a good college team. It really makes no sense. The Lions have won 3 games the last 2 year, yet they have Calvin Johnson and Mat Stafford. It's funny to talk about it but if you honsetly believe it could happen, you're crazy. I'd still like to see the game though.

There's some sort of cognitive disconnect going on here.

You're wrong, C.Biscuit.

The original post asked whether a college team could beat an NFL team. So why would you interpret that to be equivalent to "a good high school team beating a good college team?"

Logically it's quite obvious that the starting point for this discussion would be whether a great college team could beat a bad NFL team.

And for the 3rd time now, those posters who say no way this could happen, are you guys telling me that if the best college team played the worst NFL team one million times, that the college team would never win?

Please think about this.