Which back to compare Willis to?

LasBillz

It's been bugging me for weeks, but that's who I came up with- Franco. He was good between the tackles, could slide, move the pile, and also in his early years could break the long gainer. Similar size too, it seems, although I think Harris wore linebacker shoulder pads.

Now, when Willis is fully 100%, this may be upgraded :devil:

It's been bugging me for weeks, but that's who I came up with- Franco.  He was good between the tackles, could slide, move the pile, and also in his early years could break the long gainer.    Similar size too, it seems, although I think Harris wore linebacker shoulder pads.

Now, when Willis is fully 100%,  this may be upgraded  :devil:

144929[/snapback]

That's a pretty good comparison. I've been thinking (hoping) he'll end up like Keith Byers, but if he ends up approximating Harris's style - great!

Good observation.

I prefer McGahee's answer to this question from BB.com

144940[/snapback]

i don't think it is good for National TV talking heads to get out there and start making fools of themselves...but on a board like this it is fun to compare.

I liken him to....dare I say...Walter Payton.

I think if we want to see a comparison to WM, we have to look no further then NE and Corey Dillon. I think they have the same running style and they're basically the same size back.

My Webpage

My Webpage

144947[/snapback]

Actually, I was thinking the same thing last night when I saw the NE highlights from the Raven's game. Dillon has a pretty good stiff arm like WM and can run in the middle or bounce outside....good comparison.

Larger version of Thurman Thomas, though with an unbelievable stiff arm and possibly more break away speed.

I like the way he seems to squirt through creases, despite being a pretty large dude. Like TT, he's not afraid to get his nose dirty and can be split out wide (though we haven't seen much of that yet.

I don't think the comparison to Walter Payton or Jim Brown are even close. Franco Harris was a great back and that might be a little more accurate but I don't think Willis would ever turn out to the sideline the way Franco regularly did.

Larger version of Thurman Thomas, though with an unbelievable stiff arm and possibly more break away speed.

I like the way he seems to squirt through creases, despite being a pretty large dude.  Like TT, he's not afraid to get his nose dirty and can be split out wide (though we haven't seen much of that yet.

I don't think the comparison to Walter Payton or Jim Brown are even close.  Franco Harris was a great back and that might be a little more accurate but I don't think Willis would ever turn out to the sideline the way Franco regularly did.

145164[/snapback]

This would be my comparison too, mostly due to the way he let's a play develop before making a decision. He's a more physical runner than Thurman, but his vision and patience are almost identical to Thurman's.

And to the poster “hoping” he turns out like Keith Byers…umm, if you’re going to “hope” for something, how about he turns out like a Hall of Famer and not a trivia question!

This would be my comparison too, mostly due to the way he let's a play develop before making a decision.  He's a more physical runner than Thurman, but his vision and patience are almost identical to Thurman's.

And to the poster “hoping” he turns out like Keith Byers…umm, if you’re going to “hope” for something, how about he turns out like a Hall of Famer and not a trivia question!

145182[/snapback]

That's me! :w00t:

Check out Byers' 10-year+ career. You can always pick up a 1,200 yard runner - dime-a-dozen as long as they last - but it's a plus when you get a fellow at the rb position that catches 40 or 50 balls per year. He once caught 81.

SF's Roger Craig over 11 years cracked the 1K mark 3 times, but like Byers, moved the sticks big time with his receptions.

Those players were very tough to defend - year after year. :w00t:

Guest Guest_eyedog_*
I personally think he looks a little like Deuce McCallister

145181[/snapback]

Good call. I agree, he does look alot like Deuce.

i havent seen many RBs that run up to the line and just stop, then pick a spot and get atleast 4 yards. im still tryin to figure that one out. but its always fun to watch.

it will take more than 5 starts befor i start making comparisons to great backs of history.

He's a hell of a lot more like Duece and Edge than he is like Keith friggin' Byars and thank the lord above for that.

Byars = quick feet, great hands, but was slow, and lacked agility. He was really a better H-back / TE / FB type.

He's a hell of a lot more like Duece and Edge than he is like Keith friggin' Byars and thank the lord above for that.

Byars = quick feet, great hands, but was slow,  and lacked agility. He was really a better H-back / TE / FB type.

145214[/snapback]

I wouldn't say quick feet, either. He ran out of way more tackles than he avoided. Powerful guy and a smart football player. Quick feet? Maybe when compared to Jamie Nails.

Earl Campbell maybe?

145156[/snapback]

Earl had a much more aggressive "I'm going to run through you not around you" mentality. Willis still tries to use his speed and ability to make people miss. Willis can run over people but that is not his bread and butter IMO. However those stiff arms may prove to be 2nd to none for a NFL RB

Earl Campbell maybe?

145156[/snapback]

I remember watching Earl play. IMHO he maybe the best back ever. Of course he had a somewhat short career. But Willis is nothing like Earl. Earl was a friggen bull. LBers and DB's hated tackling him because he flat out would get lower and drive through them. He inflicted pain on people. He also had speed to get outside and seemed to like it as he would appear to seek out the corner backs just to run them over.

It really was amazing.