I think a classy move

At the end of the day you have to show that you are fair to unhappy players if you want to attract future free agents. The pats were able to play hard ball for a while but now no free agents want to go there because they know they will dumped 6 months after reaching their prime. A Houston reporter on Sirius NFL radio this morning stated that Schobel is just not made for a 3 - 4. That point is rarely brought up in the discussion of schobel.

Schobel won't end up with the Pats. Nothing about that situation makes sense for him, unless he's looking for payback, which he shouldn't be.

If he can't play in Houston, which it appears they don't need him barring an injury, than he wants to finally have a chance to play on a winner. New England makes all the sense in the world, so it will come back to bite us.

At the end of the day you have to show that you are fair to unhappy players if you want to attract future free agents. The pats were able to play hard ball for a while but now no free agents want to go there because they know they will dumped 6 months after reaching their prime. A Houston reporter on Sirius NFL radio this morning stated that Schobel is just not made for a 3 - 4. That point is rarely brought up in the discussion of schobel.

You make a good point, but it was discussed by some in a different thread yesterday. Schobel would have been an awful LB. While we know and love his pass rush skills, that's not all a OLB needs. He would have been badly exposed in pass coverage. Belicheck would have a field day with him anytime he wasn't rushing. Good coordinator would find ways to make him cover athletic TEs and he'd be toast.

I think this list would have a lot to say about his transition to OLB if he was playing for us...

If he can't play in Houston, which it appears they don't need him barring an injury, than he wants to finally have a chance to play on a winner. New England makes all the sense in the world, so it will come back to bite us.

There are so many more ways it doesn't make sense ways that make sense. Basically the only ways it makes sense is playing for a (fading) winner and wanting to get back at Buffalo.

And I don't think it was a classy move per se. They saved $8M after Schobel changed his mind about retiring and wanted to play for another team. Although I guess they could have demanded he get on a plane to Buffalo and then released him mid-flight.

I agree that Buddy has picked his spots and how to deal with them.

1. He and Gailey understood that eventually they need Marshawn Lynch on this team to successful. They did not budge on the requests from Marshawn for a trade and making Lynch come to the off season program.

2. On the Schoebe; front they knew that he was really done with the Bills and the Bills were done with him as he did not participate in their new off season to learn the new system. They knew that a trade was impossible with the big salary on his contract and Schoebels intention to be with his family during part of the week in the season. Rather than pay 2M for Schoebel to pass a physical and retire, the Bills released him. They released a player who had no chance of playing for them and impossible to be traded (even for a 7th Rd pick due to the big remaining salary).

3. Buddy and Spiller are NOT negotiating their contract through the media. They are being patient to hammer out the right deal. Buffalo is a cap-to-cash strategy team and do not have a abundance of cash to throw at everyone at their request. The Bills are going to be responsible with their spending. Buddy understands that and is willing to work within the organizations limits.

I believe he is making all the right moves and being very patient.

1. There is a strong possibility that Lynch still gets traded.

2. Salaries can be renegotiated to facilitate trades.

3. Spiller and the Bills are not negotiating through the media but if the contract is not done by the end of next week you will see comments from Nix like - "We would like to see him here but were moving on with the players that are here"

There are so many more ways it doesn't make sense ways that make sense. Basically the only ways it makes sense is playing for a (fading) winner and wanting to get back at Buffalo.

And I don't think it was a classy move per se. They saved $8M after Schobel changed his mind about retiring and wanted to play for another team. Although I guess they could have demanded he get on a plane to Buffalo and then released him mid-flight.

Kinda like Thurman signing with Miami?

not at all like thurman and miami

the bills dumped thurm, didnt want him any longer, same with andre. i didnt blame the bills then as they were going with a youth movement rebuild but thurm did and went to miami out of spite

two completely diff sitch

Kinda like Thurman signing with Miami?

Not, not kinda like Thurman. That was purely out of spite, after the way he was released by the Bills. Schobel has NO reason to be spiteful, after they released him following him jerking them around for months.

How many classy moves have the Patriots, Steelers, and Colts made lately? Pats cut Lawyer Milloy, trade away Veneteri, Steelers refuse to pay and ultimately cut Faneca. Those franchises just win. Forget the classy moves and win a few games.

Yes but they all sucked a one point or another and needed to rebuild. No need keeping someone that doesnt want to be here.