Thoughts on the Bills from Beantown

notwoz

I'm surprised that this view of the Bills comes from the Boston Globe. It's actually pretty straightforward, to the point and nowhere near as condescending as I expected.

Some examples:

"Feels like GM Buddy Nix and coach Chan Gailey are pouring concrete into the foundation right now – Very business-like, no-complaining, get-the-job-done tone. That’s good for this franchise, provided they give this regime time, since there’s been far too much upheaval over the last decade."

"But it’s clear that the intention is to be a physically imposing squad."

The writer is a little too gung-ho about McKelvin for my liking, but that's his opinion.

The story is on the Two Bills Drive page under the heading Buffalo Bills News. Or you can follow this link:

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patr...training_1.html

Also, when you think that the Bills are the pits -- and we all do from time to time -- check out this play from the Washington DC team with the racist nickname under the Jim Zorn era:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdX1rdLcTk8

I'm surprised that this view of the Bills comes from the Boston Globe. It's actually pretty straightforward, to the point and nowhere near as condescending as I expected.

Some examples:

"Feels like GM Buddy Nix and coach Chan Gailey are pouring concrete into the foundation right now – Very business-like, no-complaining, get-the-job-done tone. That’s good for this franchise, provided they give this regime time, since there’s been far too much upheaval over the last decade."

"But it’s clear that the intention is to be a physically imposing squad."

The writer is a little too gung-ho about McKelvin for my liking, but that's his opinion.

The story is on the Two Bills Drive page under the heading Buffalo Bills News. Or you can follow this link:

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patr...training_1.html

Also, when you think that the Bills are the pits -- and we all do from time to time -- check our this play from the Washington DC team with the racist nickname under the Jim Zorn era:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdX1rdLcTk8

Good article, great read.

Certainly not as snarky as he could have been. Not a bad read at all. I'll pick nits with his nit-picking, however. I don't see how he can say that "Facing the Pats* aerial show might be a bit more difficult for these guys" in one breath, and then conclude with "[McKelvin] paired with Byrd, it looks like this deep, talented secondary could be in good hands for years to come".

Logical asynchrony, methinks. Or homerism.

Pretty fair assessment, all in all. Not sure why anyone would be surprised with someone expecting great things from McKelvin. The guy has MAD skills.

And, Whitey, at first blush I can see why thinking the Bills secondary is talented while also worrying if they can contain the Pats* aerial attack might be somewhat counter-intuitive. But containing any great passing attack takes more than just a great secondary. It takes pressure on the QB as well.

Still, I don't think the Bills are going to lose games because of their pass D.

"Facing the Patriots’ aerial show might be a bit more difficult for these guys."

I think he's being a bit too kind to his home team...

If you follow his logic, not really. He says that the Bills can be passed on in first and second down situations because of their lack of natural pass rushers. The Pats are the only team in the division that is a very effective passing team on first and second down.

If you follow his logic, not really. He says that the Bills can be passed on in first and second down situations because of their lack of natural pass rushers. The Pats are the only team in the division that is a very effective passing team on first and second down.

The Colts do a fine job, too, if I'm not mistaken.

wow I just went to pull stats on their 1st and 2nd down passing....and you're way right. my bad -- just reading that comment reminded me of my 8 years in NH and how all their fans/writers are quick to compliment themselves.

thanks for the insight

did not realize that the Colts were back in the same division as the Bills

Oops. My bad. Missed "the division"

Thanks for the correction.