Front Windshield Chip Repair

linksfiend

I got a chip in my front windshield Friday traveling down the 190. It's smaller than a dime - maybe the size of a chocolate chip.

I'm thinking of going with the repair route rather than the replacement. Has anyone had that done before? Is it worth it? Or is it just going to spread anyhow?

Just had my windshield replaced. Apparently if the crack is longer than a dollar bill, they can't repair it?? Gotta love that standard. From my understanding, a small ding can easily be repaired for a whole lot less than replacement and it's just as good. But, do it soon because a bump or two can cause it to start cracking further and make the repair option not possible.

I got my windshield replaced for ~ $230, and just days afterwards, got a small chip in it. I called to ask how much having the crack filled (SafeLite "state of the art" resin) and it was about half that amount. Something didn't jibe there.

Yeah that seems like a small enough chip that it can be drilled out and filled with resin. I think I paid well under 100 dollars. I had a small repair too and I was satisfied with the results. I know of only one place off hand that does so, in Orchard Park. I will have to look it up.

I cant seem to find the name online. It is right behind the beer store, so I will update this soon.

Had a small chip on my window last year, went with safelite. They came on the day I called, and it took 15 minutes to fix. After they are done, the chip is gone. If you look closely, you can still see a small smudge. But nothing noticeable.

My insurance covered it, didn't pay one dime. :devil:

I got a chip in my front windshield Friday traveling down the 190. It's smaller than a dime - maybe the size of a chocolate chip.

I'm thinking of going with the repair route rather than the replacement. Has anyone had that done before? Is it worth it? Or is it just going to spread anyhow?

Ummm usually for the little chips like that, you call your insurance company and they'll send out a company that fixes it for free of charge to you. It works. I had one done about 6 months ago and it's fine. The reason it's free is because it works, and it's better for the insurance company to pay for that instead of a new windshield.

They also come to you at your place of work.

I've had chip repairs many times over the years. Some went well some not so well. Generally there is always some small "spot" left behind. If it is not in your regular line of sight not a big deal. If you are going to have a repair don't wait. Cracks will become longer as the glass flexes due to temperature changes or just driving.

Ummm usually for the little chips like that, you call your insurance company and they'll send out a company that fixes it for free of charge to you. It works. I had one done about 6 months ago and it's fine. The reason it's free is because it works, and it's better for the insurance company to pay for that instead of a new windshield.

They also come to you at your place of work.

Had the same thing done... it was a good thing and they did good work