Ross Tucker's SI Article on Conditioning Test

Malazan

This is one of the reasons I love Ross Tucker as a writer. He took an issue that was being beat to death and wrote an actual article on it that increased my knowledge.

Sports Illutratrated - Ross Tucker

Not every team has a conditioning test. In my seven NFL training camps, I believe I had to pass a test of physical condition at the start of camp three times and was exempted one or two other times because of my participation in the offseason program. Not every conditioning test is the same, mind you. The Patriots required their linemen to run two sets of 10 40-yard dashes in six seconds each. There was a 30 second break between each individual sprint and a three-minute rest period that broke up the two sets. It's considered a pretty tough test, but certainly doable if you have been working at it.

During my time in Buffalo, the big boys had to complete eight 68-yard dashes in 10 seconds, and though I don't recall the exact rest, I think it too was around 30 seconds between each sprint. This was not a terribly difficult test, so those who didn't pass it stuck out like a sore thumb.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writ...l#ixzz0vIrsMLyc

I found it interesting that Buffalo's test was considered easy and that some guys still failed it. I wonder if the test is different now.

I wonder if Haynesworth will ever pass his conditioning test.

This is one of the reasons I love Ross Tucker as a writer. He took an issue that was being beat to death and wrote an actual article on it that increased my knowledge.

I found it interesting that Buffalo's test was considered easy and that some guys still failed it. I wonder if the test is different now.

who cares, some teams dont have them anyway.

Interesting. I'm sure that it is different now ... we have had many coaching changes since Tucker.

I think the real story here is the picture of Fat Albert in that article... He doesn't seem as fat as I thought

Haynesworth, as reported, lost a bit of weight (30 lbs?) during the off-season. So its not a fat thing. Its a not being ready for camp thing. Wait, actually, its a" Shanahan's way or the highway" thing.

THAT is Ross Tucker? jeez, he lost a ton of weight.