Schobel is now 70/30 on playing this year

he's a diva because he is putting his family first thats a new one. give me a break!

How is taking 6 months to decide about whether or not to retire from the NFL putting his “family first”? He has the financial means to walk away, so putting his family first means hanging up his cleats January 3rd after the whistle blew. Lamenting over it for half a year is more about him then his family it seems.

Be it retire, play or trade to another team, it's just fine, but make up your mind already...

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think he is a diva he fully informed the team that he is going to consider retirement. He isn't trying to attract attention to himself like others. All he is is a veteran who has earned the right to contemplate retirement and sit out of certain off-season workouts. As long as he doesn't miss any meaningful portions of training camp/pre-season I am fine with it.

I think that Schobel is still our pass rush and I want to see him on the team to help out this new 3-4.

really good post! :blink::censored:

Yeah, I'm not getting the extra 10 days thing after having over six months to think about the decision.

Lots of theories out there…many of them good.

AS said he talked to Kollar during a golf game recently, coach asked him if he'd regret walking away -or- playing next January. AS then said, yeah, I could definitely see myself regretting retirement, so maybe now I'm not so sure. Linky

I gotta go with that and see what happens next.

the apology quote is from my piece. he really is apologetic about going back and forth. i do believe him when he says he was "done playing" a month ago, as he told me. but as time went on, he got the itch again ... something that wasn't there all offseason.

and believe me, Schobel is not a guy who wants to go out there and fall flat on his face -- if he elects to come back. that's one of the things he's worried about.

jw

I don't think he is a diva he fully informed the team that he is going to consider retirement. He isn't trying to attract attention to himself like others. All he is is a veteran who has earned the right to contemplate retirement and sit out of certain off-season workouts. As long as he doesn't miss any meaningful portions of training camp/pre-season I am fine with it.

I think that Schobel is still our pass rush and I want to see him on the team to help out this new 3-4.

So what you're saying is that veterans right the right to sit out OTA's, mandatory mini-camps and part of training camps. Aren't veterans suppose to set the example on the team? Marcus Stroud could have easily pulled the same crap with switching from DT to DE, but he didn't, he's a veteran and a professional. On top of that, Schobel or any other member of the Bills should not be skipping any sort of team training considering how bad the team has been not only during the Jauron era, but over the last decade. Play or retire, it's that simple. Note to Schobel: "You're not Bruce Smith and nowhere near the level of ability Bruce Smith was!!"

the apology quote is from my piece. he really is apologetic about going back and forth. i do believe him when he says he was "done playing" a month ago, as he told me. but as time went on, he got the itch again ... something that wasn't there all offseason.

and believe me, Schobel is not a guy who wants to go out there and fall flat on his face -- if he elects to come back. that's one of the things he's worried about.

jw

Oh Balderdash!

Mr. Wawrow, clearly you have the disadvantage of your "personal contact" with said athlete. Put simply, you're blind. As a full-time Professional Expert, I can assure you that we, the Citizens of the Internet, are much better at understanding the subtleties of what a journalist wrote that an athlete said, than the journalist having the actual conversation.

Trust me sir, Aaron Schobel is taking us all for a ride - he simply wants to miss camp and / or ultimately, force a trade, just like Brett Farve. And come this season Schobel will get his trade wish and be in Miami throwing TD's against the Bills as we're swept once again by the Dolphins...

I know this, because I've *read the quotes* (without interjecting any conjecture, I should add). Have you?

GOOD DAY SIR.

M

Oh Balderdash!

Mr. Wawrow, clearly you have the disadvantage of your "personal contact" with said athlete. Put simply, you're blind. As a full-time Professional Expert, I can assure you that we, the Citizens of the Internet, are much better at understanding the subtleties of what a journalist wrote that an athlete said, than the journalist having the actual conversation.

Trust me sir, Aaron Schobel is taking us all for a ride - he simply wants to miss camp and / or ultimately, force a trade, just like Brett Farve. And come this season Schobel will get his trade wish and be in Miami throwing TD's against the Bills as we're swept once again by the Dolphins...

I know this, because I've *read the quotes* (without interjecting any conjecture, I should add). Have you?

GOOD DAY SIR.

M

P.S. Ralph is cheap

Fixed it for you. :blink:

Oh Balderdash!

GOOD DAY SIR.

M

i'm a part-time drinker, still working on maintaining my amateur status in the event the nutjobs on the Olympic committee finally come to their senses and add "binging" as a sport. and with the next Olympics in London, i can't see how they've missed this opportunity yet AGAIN!

g--dam elitist tea-totlers, with their fancy suits and knitted socks. feh!

as to you, sir, i agree. i've hardly ever believed anything i've read -- on the intrawebs or in Penthouse for that matter -- though the tales have been certainly juicy. ... sorry, where was i going with this?

oh yeah, nyah, nyah: conjecture that. :blink:

jw

I think Schobel is smart enough to know that he can't sit out very long. He needs to learn the new defense and get into game-ready shape. He won't want to come back and fail to contribute. So if he's coming back we'll know early next week, maybe even Monday. If it drags on much longer than that then he's probably going to retire.

Fixed it for you. :blink:

he may be, but my (albeit limited) understanding of the situation is that Ralph was ok with Aaron taking an extra day off during the season, but it was Nixed by the HC and GC's opinion was likely supported by our GM.

Part of the reason it was a such a difficult decision, since he knew he probably wasn't gonna get any extra family time.

i'm a part-time drinker, still working on maintaining my amateur status in the event the nutjobs on the Olympic committee finally come to their senses and add "binging" as a sport. and with the next Olympics in London, i can't see how they've missed this opportunity yet AGAIN!

g--dam elitist tea-totlers, with their fancy suits and knitted socks. feh!

as to you, sir, i agree. i've hardly ever believed anything i've read -- on the intrawebs or in Penthouse for that matter -- though the tales have been certainly juicy. ... sorry, where was i going with this?

oh yeah, nyah, nyah: conjecture that. :blink:

jw

lol

As a guy who knows a pro snowboarder or two, I'm pretty sure that binging IS an Olympic sport. Or it's at least part of the training routine. Perhaps an event change is in order? Agree about the tea-totlers though.

Re. The Bills - I bet everyone's questions will be answered over the next few months, starting tomorrow...