Here is a stadium project to keep your eye on

I'm an old T-Cat fan, and I like CFL ball. I miss being able to see broadcasts.

They are on NFLN now. Do you have that? FYI: I'm going to see my first live CFL game Oct 8 in Hamilton. Part of my Ti-Cats/Sabres/Bills triple-header weekend!

PTR

They are on NFLN now. Do you have that? FYI: I'm going to see my first live CFL game Oct 8 in Hamilton. Part of my Ti-Cats/Sabres/Bills triple-header weekend!

PTR

No, no NFLN. I hope you enjoy that CFL game. I think it's a pleasing variant - the players hit hard and strive to win. What else need there be?

Ooops!

Besides, I'm betting what's left of the Rogers clan is cursing the dead over the $78 million they paid for what they've gotten so far.

If the Rogers group (his son) buys the team when it is auctioned off it can make a strong claim that there shouldn't be a relocation fee because it is already part of the expanded market the team currently plays in. So another way the Toronto group can view the Wilson hustle is that they are investing in their own future. In addition, they are buying into the Buffalo market if the team should be moved to the Canadian side of the border.

I thought Canada had some kind of weird law about drinking outside of a bar or residence that would make tailgating illegal whether they had the space or not?

you are correct, theres a Law against having open alcohol containers in public (without being in a liscensed area)

You can "tailgate" all you want in any parking lot in Canada, you just better not have any open alcohol at the Tailgate, which (in my opinion) after seeing many drunken idiot D-bags that can't hold their liquor stumble around the lots over an hour before a game, I don't see it as being a bad Law

as for the Ti-Cats new stadium, they are having enough trouble trying to build a 30,000 seat stadium for a CFL team that will be used for the Pan-Am games, theres no way they will be able to amend this for a 60-70,000 seat facility. But hey, Jim Basillie can always step in and make a play to buy the Bills and move them to Hamilton.................

Playing one game a year in Canada is very different than moving the whole team there. The Bills have a stadium that sells out even in tough economic times and they have been in the top 10 for NFL attendance the last three years and among the leaders during the last ten. Why would a new owner want to risk giving that up?

Because in today's NFL, the average fan no longer matters. It is all about corporate $$ and high rollers.

The dad who works in a Ford plant stamping cars and takes his two sons to the game on sunday is no longer what the NFL is about. Now it's about JERRUHLAND and $100 cheese pizzas.

Buffalo has no future in a league like that (nor do probably 15 other current NFL cities)

Simple as that.

This thing is probably nothing but it's good to be aware of what is happening around you. That Balsillie idea is not that far-fetched. He's getting jerked around by the NHL so he makes a left turn and picks up an NFL team, and joins the elite rung of sports owners in the USA. The more I think about it they more it sounds plausable.

PTR

This thing is probably nothing but it's good to be aware of what is happening around you. That Balsillie idea is not that far-fetched. He's getting jerked around by the NHL so he makes a left turn and picks up an NFL team, and joins the elite rung of sports owners in the USA. The more I think about it they more it sounds plausable.

PTR

Thanks for the excellent post. How about the Buffalo Bills of Toronto?

It's kind of a scary thought. Lord knows that the Erie and Niagara county governments couldn't find their ass with both hands, so it's unlikely that a new stadium will be built during the Ralph Wilson era. They'll want some sort of guarantee from the new owners that they won't move the team before making an commitment of this magnitude. Actually, the logic of that seems pretty rational. Delaying a decision, however, makes a possible move for the Bills more probable. Won't say it will happen, just makes it more difficult for new ownership to ampliify future value without a state-of-the-art facility. It's the new reality. To make their investment work, they need to increase the value of the team. That requires greater revenue streams which won't happen without big changes in the Bills' revenue structure. Don't look for the new team owners to pay more than a pittance of the cost of a new facility. Instead, look for an instant demand for, at the very least, major taxpayer financed stadium upgrades and significantly increased ticket prices after Ralph passes and the team is conveyed to new ownership, whomever they may be.

It appears most of the CFL teams are fixing or wanting a new stadium.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/foot...article1646804/

Due to cost a new CFL stadium would have no more than 40,000 seats. This includes the fact they are touting

pro soccer also, which those stadiums are around 20K or so. No way a financially strapped city like Hamilton builds a NFL ready stadium, ie: luxury suites galore, scoreboard(s), large number of seats (65K at the very least) to be a suitor.

One of the CFL stadiums being touted is 33,000 seats at a cost of only $115 million to build, although BC place is looking at $458 million in just renovations. An NFL type stadium would be $750 million to 1 Billion.

you are correct, theres a Law against having open alcohol containers in public (without being in a liscensed area)

You can "tailgate" all you want in any parking lot in Canada, you just better not have any open alcohol at the Tailgate, which (in my opinion) after seeing many drunken idiot D-bags that can't hold their liquor stumble around the lots over an hour before a game, I don't see it as being a bad Law

I have never understood the joy in getting rip-roaring drunk at a tail-gate session prior to the game and then going inside the stadium to watch the game. Why waste money on a ticket when you are not in condition to watch the game?

I'm not a spoil-sport. I understand the appeal of grilling and modestly imbibing with thousands of like minded fans. That is a terrific ambience and experience. However, sitting near drunken hooligans and having to be exposed to their ignorant behavior is not my idea of a good time. What is even more reckless is having these staggering morons get in their cars and hazardly drive away after the game.

I think the odds are poor that the Bills stay in the immediate Buffalo area, but I do think if they move it may not be far away; to Toronto or Southern Ontario. There are too many people and too much money there to ignore.

PTR

I think the odds are poor that the Bills stay in the immediate Buffalo area, but I do think if they move it may not be far away; to Toronto or Southern Ontario. There are too many people and too much money there to ignore.

PTR

They've been saying that about LA for 15+ years now...and still no team. You think Toronto is a more promising market than LA? Both need new stadiums, but Toronto has half the population plus the CFL issue.

That mey not be entirely accurate.

Tennessee Football Inc., the company that owns the Titans, filed the lawsuit Monday in Davidson County Chancery Court against both the university and Kiffin.

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/sports/2010..._by_Titans.html

Anyone want to clarify if companies can own teams?

The NFL still bars corporate ownership of teams. Adams is the owner.

Tennessee Football Inc. is the same as Buffalo Bills Inc. It is the entity that runs the team, pays the bills, the payroll, etc.