Cycling fans

bartshan-83

Thanks BB; I've always been under the impression that it was a single 'race' (guy who bikes around France and crosses the finish line first), rather than a series of events with a declared winner.

There are a number of prizes for the TdF. The most important is the winner of the GC (general classification) - yellow jersey. He wins this by the least amount of time for the entire event. Then there is the green jersey - most points. Red polka dot - king of the mountains. White jersey - best young rider.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait let me get this straight. Had Contador known that Schleck had lost his chain he was supposed to stop and wait for him? :devil:

No - not stop. Had he known he would have slowed down to allow Schleck to get back up to speed, not catch back up to him. There was another incident in one of the following stages where Contador did slow down for the points leader to collect himself after a mechanical failure. (Exact details escape me at the moment - I'll look around).

Official TdF site is TdF site

Wait let me get this straight. Had Contador known that Schleck had lost his chain he was supposed to stop and wait for him? :devil:

From what I read: YES.

Kinda like when the children playing soccer all have to take a knee when somebody gets hurt!

:P

I find it equally as funny. I just don't get how they are going all off on this last stage etiquette thing when this chain thing happened.

No - not stop. Had he known he would have slowed down to allow Schleck to get back up to speed, not catch back up to him. There was another incident in one of the following stages where Contador did slow down for the points leader to collect himself after a mechanical failure. (Exact details escape me at the moment - I'll look around).

Official TdF site is TdF site

Is this all cycling events or just to Tour de France?

Isn't it ridiculous? Imagine watching a football game, and when the running back fumbles, the other team is just supposed to wait while he picks it back up.

And you thought completely arbitrary 'offsides' calls where bad...

I'm really only familar with the TdF as that one is really the only one televised here. I really don't know, but I would think yes.

Either way that's just gay and that's why I thought it might only be the Tour de France. :devil:

Perhaps the ultimate irony...this sport which seemingly relies so much on "etiquette" might have a bigger juicing problem than even baseball.

No doubt. However, just the hint of PED in any sport raises the question to all. Wasn't there some "ejections" from fencing in the Beijiing Olympics?

Golf even has some non-written rules.

But none that requires when someone in your foursome hooks it you have to heave your ball near theirs. I don't know, I'm just a big proponent of when your competition is down you step on their neck.

But none that requires when someone in your foursome hooks it you have to heave your ball near theirs. I don't know, I'm just a big proponent of when your competition is down you step on their neck.

No arguement there - I'm with you. This is just one of those "rules" that have been there for a long time.

first time i'm on TBD for months!!

and it looks like you need my help guys!

Cycling is like baseball or golf, an old sport with lot of traditions involved and non written rules everywhere. This is one of the reasons BTW why Lance armstrong has not be loved in the peloton from the beginning of his career. He was not coming from the classical cycling minor teams and schools but from the triathlon and was not aware of a lot of those unwritten rules. So he broke a few and made ennemies.

those rules are part of the charm of this sport but i understand they are somtimes a little complicated and unlogical

BTW there is no rule about the last stage of the Tour. And schleck for exemple could have attacked and tried to win the race gaining those 39 seconds but fact is it was impossible to do. let me explain you why:

Tour winners or potential winners are all complete riders that can climb well and win time trials , they are thin little ball of muscles. But there is an other brand of riders in the tour: sprinters. Huge physical guys who are there to win the flat stages and the "green jacket", the "by points" competition.

The last stage on the Champs Elysées in Paris is for those sprinters and their teams the most prestigious "flat stage" to win. And the setting is perfect for this. An huge flat and large road with no turns. It's like a giant inside cycling track. So it is almost impossible for a lone rider or a small pack to attack and to try to win alone or gaining time. If schleck had attacked, even with his whole team, the Contador team would have been helped by about 4 or 5 others teams , the ones with the best sprinters. And on the Champs Elysées such an attack has absolutly no chance. So each year it's the same thing. A huge sprint at the end or sometimes a lone rider able to gain a fistful of seconds during the last kilometer.

Schleck did not attack because he had no chance not because of some unwritten rule.

BTW there is no rule about the last stage of the Tour. And schleck for exemple could have attacked and tried to win the race gaining those 39 seconds but fact is it was impossible to do. let me explain you why:

Because his chain fell off and Contador "didn't see him?" :ph34r:

You speak all this etiquette, but Contador seemed to violate it just as bad by not paying attention.

What gives? I don't buy all this etiquette stuff on one side of the mouth while the other side is giving some guys a free pass.

Contador PASSED him... He had to know that something was wrong mechanically.

Etiquette smeditquette. Such a double standard!

Gotta admit, Schleck was a "good soldier" about all this... Will that buy him some "favor"... :lol:

You either play to win all the time and throw etiquette out the window... Or totally honor the etiquette and go back and right this wrong. There is no middle road.