Trent Edwards vs. Drew Brees

Coach55

Sure it was. That was Jauron's attempt. He WANTED an inept offense.

First, Trent did NOT lead a 4th quarter comeback win vs the Rams.

The Bills were down 14-13 entering the 4th quarter, and that changed with Greer's pick 6.

By the time goober threw his first TD, the Bills were already ahead.

Second, look at his stats again.

4 TD's in 4 games. Did you know all 4 came in the 4th quarter?

The drubbing of Seattle? Thank you Special teams.

2 FG by Lindell, a punt return for a TD by Parrish, and a Moorman pass to Denney for a TD on a FG attempt.

Goobers TD was the last score of the game.

Third, in 2008

Raiders were 5-11, and defensively were 24th in points and 27th in yards

Seattle was 4-12, and defensively was 25th in points and 30th in yards

Rams were 2-14, and defensively were 31st in points and 28th in yards

Jax was 5-11, and defensively was 21st points, and 17th in yards

Other than Jax, those were some god awful defenses, and even Jax, at best, was below average.

Non-linear post concussion syndrome, phantom concussions, ... whatever excuse works for you.

Can we just stick a fork in him and move on?

^^THIS^^

Thank you, now I dont have to post this stuff again...one of the biggest MYTHS about Trent have been him somewhow being good in our 4-0 start when he struggled in every game except Sea, was very unproductive, and had to eek out wins against awful teams that were made possible more by other players than Trent.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^THIS^^

Thank you, now I dont have to post this stuff again...one of the biggest MYTHS about Trent have been him somewhow being good in our 4-0 start when he struggled in every game except Sea, was very unproductive, and had to eek out wins against awful teams that were made possible more by other players than Trent.

Of course he struggled, I expected him to struggle (did you not?) because he was a young player when it happened. Had he not struggled at all it would have been an anomaly. And we as fans got the best of both worlds, even though he struggled the team still won. The opposition wasn't the greatest but still they were NFL teams, were they not? In that span he made all the throws that were to be made by an NFL QB, consistency and more TDs were the only thing lacking from his game.

Then, they came better opponents, a mix of lack of experience, his own limitations and poor guidance by the coachings staff he inmersed himself in a situation in which to this day he can't get past it.

If Gailey can help him regain his confidence, that sense of anticipation on his game he could still be a productive QB and more.

This post is great. It really is a valid comparison not only for Trent, but with many "sucky" QB's in the league and in NFL history.

I do remember when the consensus was "Drew Brees sucks". If no one remembers that, they are in denial.

He was Tim Couch West in many peoples eyes, trust me.

Also, even if a QB is not the prototypical franchise QB, with a solid team around him, he could be good enough to still not hamper a team's ability to win a Super Bowl.

I doubt anyone in Baltimore, Washington, or NJ are bitching about the time Dilfer, Rypien, or Hostettler played for them.

I'm confused, is it really considered "Trent bashing" to notice the urine running down his pantleg so often? Not all the time, mind you. Only when he's not faking an injury so he can sit on the sideline.

Not at all. Read his other posts and you will understand.

I'm not a Trent Edwards fan. I'm a Buffalo Bills fan, true and true. If he gives us the best chance to win then I want him in the game. He's shown glimpses, albeit few and far between lately. My guess is that he starts the season, and we'll know pretty quickly what we've got. I still see us taking a quarterback early in next year's draft barring an entirely unexpected breakout from one of our QB's.

I also think Trent Edwards will be the starting QB. I too am a Bills fan, so I will root for him because I want the Bills to win. What I don't understand is the hate some have for Edwards. I think some people would rather see Edwards fail than the Bills winning. I think Gailey will decide who should start and I trust his opinion on the matter. And then I root for that QB to be successful. I happen to think that will be Edwards. I could be wrong but I will still root for the guy Gailey decides to start.

Guest dog14787
I also think Trent Edwards will be the starting QB. I too am a Bills fan, so I will root for him because I want the Bills to win. What I don't understand is the hate some have for Edwards. I think some people would rather see Edwards fail than the Bills winning. I think Gailey will decide who should start and I trust his opinion on the matter. And then I root for that QB to be successful. I happen to think that will be Edwards. I could be wrong but I will still root for the guy Gailey decides to start.

Everyone has their favorite player/s and I don't have a problem with that, myself personally, and as most of you guys already know, I'm a huge Trent Edwards fan so of course I want him to succeed. TE's one main primary goal has always been a lofty one and as well it should be, Edwards wants to bring home a Championship to Buffalo and I Billieve one day he will. It still doesn't stop me from rooting for Brian Brohm or Ryan Fitzpatrick to develop and do well because it adds quality depth and makes our Buffalo Bills football team stronger.

I'm a 100% die hard Bills fan not 80% or 90% and each individual on the roster is part of the team and I back them all.

Trent Edwards honed in on Drew Brees's skills at the QB position long before Brees became a champion and although there has been very little similarity in their leadership abilities or play up to this point, Trent Edwards in my opinion has the heart, the focus and the determination to follow in his idols footsteps and become a Champion one day.

I Billieve...

This is where you see people not being able to seperate football from reality...You see, its not that people hate Trent Edwards, they just hate when hes on the field because it means we are going 3 and out after a 4 yard run on 1st, a bad sack on 2nd because he hesitated to throw to our open reciever too long, and then a 2 yard checkdown for a 2 yard gain on 3rd and 10 because the combination of bad field vision and reluctance to throw to our WR's.

Everyone on this board would love to see Trent morph into a great QB...hell even just a solid QB. The difference is, most dont believe it can happen considering he was not a good college QB and hasnt been a good NFL QB...so there is no hope to hold onto for many people here anymore. What has he done since High School?

Lets see, one 300 yard game since high school, very few multiple TD games since high school, perennial losing record (including ZERO wins his last year at Stanford which won just one game, the game he did NOT play in), etc etc. Seroiusly, why should people still believe he can turn it around?

This is where you see people not being able to seperate football from reality...You see, its not that people hate Trent Edwards, they just hate when hes on the field because it means we are going 3 and out after a 4 yard run on 1st, a bad sack on 2nd because he hesitated to throw to our open reciever too long, and then a 2 yard checkdown for a 2 yard gain on 3rd and 10 because the combination of bad field vision and reluctance to throw to our WR's.

Everyone on this board would love to see Trent morph into a great QB...hell even just a solid QB. The difference is, most dont believe it can happen considering he was not a good college QB and hasnt been a good NFL QB...so there is no hope to hold onto for many people here anymore. What has he done since High School?

Lets see, one 300 yard game since high school, very few multiple TD games since high school, perennial losing record (including ZERO wins his last year at Stanford which won just one game, the game he did NOT play in), etc etc. Seroiusly, why should people still believe he can turn it around?

I think he had high expectations coming from high school and was viewed as a disappointment but look at his carreer college stats...

Stats Overview Passing

YEAR CMP ATT YDS CMP% YPA LNG TD INT SACK RAT

2004 149 274 1732 54.4 6.32 76 9 11 20 110.29

2005 168 268 1934 62.7 7.22 49 17 7 29 139.01

2006 94 156 1027 60.3 6.58 48 6 6 22 120.55

He played on a team that had an enormous amount of injuries and that lacked talent. he had zero wins his last year but you fail to mention that he played in only six games due to injury. His qb rating was very good. I don't know if he can turn it around either, but i'm willing to see what he does with Gailey as his head coach.

I think he had high expectations coming from high school and was viewed as a disappointment but look at his carreer college stats...

Stats Overview Passing

YEAR CMP ATT YDS CMP% YPA LNG TD INT SACK RAT

2004 149 274 1732 54.4 6.32 76 9 11 20 110.29

2005 168 268 1934 62.7 7.22 49 17 7 29 139.01

2006 94 156 1027 60.3 6.58 48 6 6 22 120.55

He played on a team that had an enormous amount of injuries and that lacked talent. he had zero wins his last year but you fail to mention that he played in only six games due to injury. His qb rating was very good. I don't know if he can turn it around either, but i'm willing to see what he does with Gailey as his head coach.

Im going to guess you dont follow college football very much, because those are not very good stats nor are the QB ratings impressive.

In 3 years he totaled a pathetic 32 TDs...thats barely 10 a season in college (and actually he only had at least 10 once)!!! Not to mention he also still threw 24 INTs...so 32 TDs with 24 INTs...come on now.

Do you realize this guy has only thrown for more than 11 TDs in a season ONCE...just ONCE since high school?

Im going to guess you dont follow college football very much, because those are not very good stats nor are the QB ratings impressive.

In 3 years he totaled a pathetic 32 TDs...thats barely 10 a season in college (and actually he only had at least 10 once)!!! Not to mention he also still threw 24 INTs...so 32 TDs with 24 INTs...come on now.

Do you realize this guy has only thrown for more than 11 TDs in a season ONCE...just ONCE since high school?

you're guess would be correct....my bad...what is a good college rating, because the 110, 139 and 120 numbers would be great in the pros.

Not to make a comparison, but as I said before I was once a big proponent of Edwards and am now under the belief that this is his last chance to make a statement or Brohm's only chance as otherwise we will be getting a new QB in next year's draft. But, back in 04, the Chargers drafted Rivers because they thought Brees was a bust. Could Edwards have a year 4 breakout of epic proportions?

Brees

Year W-L Comp% Yds TD-Int Yds/A Rating

2001 0-0 55.6% 221 1-0 8.2 94.8

2002 8-8 60.8% 3284 17-16 6.2 76.9

2003 2-9 57.6% 2108 11-15 5.9 67.5

2004 11-4 65.5% 3159 27-7 7.9 104.8

Edwards

2007 5-4 56.1% 1630 7-8 6.1 70.4

2008 7-7 65.5% 2699 11-10 6.6 85.4

2009 2-5 60.1% 1169 6-7 5.3 73.8

2010 ????

This must be a joke. List the intangibles and you will see the huge difference.

you're guess would be correct....my bad...what is a good college rating, because the 110, 139 and 120 numbers would be great in the pros.

I figured that was the case, and if you didnt follow College football much you most likely would not know this. College QB rating system is completely different with many top QB's having ratings in the mid 140's to 150's.

In case you are curious to just how different the rating systems are, I will show you the difference in his ratings. Below is each year of college and the rating he had along with what the NFL QB rating would be with the exact same stats.

College: 110.29

NFL: 67.96

College: 139.01

NFL: 94.65

College: 120.55

NFL: 76.52

PS: Pardon me if I seemed flustered in my earlier coorespondence, the threads daring to compare a struggling QB to the greats brings that out some times, lol... :)

Not to make a comparison, but as I said before I was once a big proponent of Edwards and am now under the belief that this is his last chance to make a statement or Brohm's only chance as otherwise we will be getting a new QB in next year's draft. But, back in 04, the Chargers drafted Rivers because they thought Brees was a bust. Could Edwards have a year 4 breakout of epic proportions?

Brees

2001 0-0 55.6% 221 1-0 8.2 94.8

2002 8-8 60.8% 3284 17-16 6.2 76.9

2003 2-9 57.6% 2108 11-15 5.9 67.5

2004 11-4 65.5% 3159 27-7 7.9 104.8

Edwards

2007 5-4 56.1% 1630 7-8 6.1 70.4

2008 7-7 65.5% 2699 11-10 6.6 85.4

2009 2-5 60.1% 1169 6-7 5.3 73.8

2010 ????

The Chargers went 0-0 for the 2001 season and the Bills went 5-4 in 2007? :)

I figured that was the case, and if you didnt follow College football much you most likely would not know this. College QB rating system is completely different with many top QB's having ratings in the mid 140's to 150's.

In case you are curious to just how different the rating systems are, I will show you the difference in his ratings. Below is each year of college and the rating he had along with what the NFL QB rating would be with the exact same stats.

College: 110.29

NFL: 67.96

College: 139.01

NFL: 94.65

College: 120.55

NFL: 76.52

PS: Pardon me if I seemed flustered in my earlier coorespondence, the threads daring to compare a struggling QB to the greats brings that out some times, lol... :)

thanks for the education on the college rating system

Edwards is an easy equation to solve. He just doesn't cut it. Hoping he'll channel Jim Kelly won't make it so. He always looks great in training camp and in the pre-season and then nose dives somewhere in first six games. By the second half of the season, he's in free fall. I know that Gailey has "the touch" with quarterbacks without obvious talent or success. I expect that Nix and Gailey will rapidly discover that Edwards will be an obvious discard next off-season. I can't imagine they'd give him a fifth season to prove that he's NFL material despite Nix not having all of his pieces in place. I'd be pleased if they discovered that before the Dolphins game. I didn't see any fire in him that gave me any confidence that he was going to take absolute command of the field in 2009 or 2010.

Everyone will say that he didn't have any blocking. Kelly would have ripped his line apart on the sidelines if they didn't block for him. They did. Edwards made excuses for his offensive line.

I like the guy, I do, but he's just too fragile, physically and mentally.

Guest dog14787
Edwards is an easy equation to solve. He just doesn't cut it. Hoping he'll channel Jim Kelly won't make it so. He always looks great in training camp and in the pre-season and then nose dives somewhere in first six games. By the second half of the season, he's in free fall. I know that Gailey has "the touch" with quarterbacks without obvious talent or success. I expect that Nix and Gailey will rapidly discover that Edwards will be an obvious discard next off-season. I can't imagine they'd give him a fifth season to prove that he's NFL material despite Nix not having all of his pieces in place. I'd be pleased if they discovered that before the Dolphins game. I didn't see any fire in him that gave me any confidence that he was going to take absolute command of the field in 2009 or 2010.

Everyone will say that he didn't have any blocking. Kelly would have ripped his line apart on the sidelines if they didn't block for him. They did. Edwards made excuses for his offensive line.

I like the guy, I do, but he's just too fragile, physically and mentally.

Kelly blasting out a very inexperienced O-line wasn't going to magically give them experience.

It might have made Jim Kelly feel better until the next time he was slammed to the turf or twisted up like a pretzel, but that's about all it would have done.

Kelly blasting out a very inexperienced O-line wasn't going to magically give them experience.

It might have made Jim Kelly feel better until the next time he was slammed to the turf or twisted up like a pretzel, but that's about all it would have done.

If I was an OL and Kelly got in my face, I would tell him to go learn to read a defense......