Former Bills trainer enables daughter to avoid Jail

She should have gone to jail for less than what she would have gotten had the money not been repaid. There should be consequences for her actions.

You don't think there were consequences to her actions?

What you're saying is that there should be more consequences to her actions.

I mean, she's disgraced the family name, brought shame to her parents, relatives, husband, and children AND she's committed professional suicide. That's a whole lot of pain and suffering going on. Now she should be punished further? Not to mention that if you incarcerate her that she's taken away from her kids. AND there is a very high cost to the state (our taxes) for imprisoning her. The money's been re-paid, her career is in shambles, and the family has been disgraced (except Abe, who paid it all back).

Sounds like you simply want your pound of flesh. Would you also like her placed with the general prison population?

I feel sorry for Eddie but the family had to know something was up sometime over all those years?? They should not have let it go on.

This was 14K per year for someone who might have been making 6 figures…not to mention what her husband makes. You have no idea if they knew "something was up" and to accuse them as such and state that they "should not have let it go on" is extremely presumptuous. You're basically accusing her family of being co-conspirators, fellow thiefs…without having one iota of evidence. Good job.

You don't think there were consequences to her actions?

What you're saying is that there should be more consequences to her actions.

I mean, she's disgraced the family name, brought shame to her parents, relatives, husband, and children AND she's committed professional suicide. That's a whole lot of pain and suffering going on. Now she should be punished further? Not to mention that if you incarcerate her that she's taken away from her kids. AND there is a very high cost to the state (our taxes) for imprisoning her. The money's been re-paid, her career is in shambles, and the family has been disgraced (except Abe, who paid it all back).

Sounds like you simply want your pound of flesh. Would you also like her placed with the general prison population?

Those things happen to every criminal. The idea of punishment, even if the item(s) pilfered has/have been restored, is setting an example. And as for general pop, sure. I hate that "white collar" criminals get country club prisons. If they had to go into general pop, they'd be less likely to do it.

Sophia Canahai, the former chief financial officer of the Cantalician Center for Learning, was told by State Supreme Court Justice M. William Boller on Friday that the only reason she wasn't going to jail for her years of embezzlement was because her father News 4 has confirmed that her father is Eddie Abramoski, the well-known former trainer for the Buffalo Bills paid off $222,684 of her thefts.

http://bills.football-news-update.com/tag/sophia-canahai/

Maam, you have something on your chin. No the other one, no the other one.

http://media.buffalonews.com/smedia/2010/0...ffiliate.50.jpg

I want to express my remorse for my betrayal,” Canahai said.

I hate those BS courtroom apologies. If she had never been caught she'd still be doing it. The only thing she's sorry about is that she got caught. <_<

I have no idea why she didn't go to jail. She committed crimes for 14 years, I think she knew what she was doing along the way. It was a premeditated, malicious & she took away money to be used to help mentally challenged kids.

Fry her in oil would be my verdict + 20 years in jail.

She should have at least gotten 10 years. I'd say double that but 10 years at least.

She should have gotten jail time. All this shows is that if you're able to find someone to cover for you then it's ok. :)

This wasn't a case of a person desperate for money because of drug issues or crushing financial stress. This was a case of a cold and calculating person who thought she had developed a "system" to regularly siphon off funds from the most vulnerable.

Violating the trust of nuns and stealing from the least capable to defend themselves says something about the dark soul and hard heart of Sophie. Whether she stole a quarter of a million dollars or $10 dollars, the ignominious nature of the crime is still the same.

I agree with you that it is sad and unfair that her shame will inevitably spill over to the rest of her family circle. I do believe in redemption. But this is a tough situation to be charitable toward this very calculating thief. She has a lot of work to do to cleanse her very soiled soul.

San Jose, you make a very powerful point that the parents are very much affected by the acts of their offspring. Because of this dreadful case they will never be the same. The pain and guilt will follow them to their grave. That is a shame.

Her chances of redemption, IMO, are slim to none. she may be able to hedge her crime a little but there will be payment doled out in the afterlife. If she had come forward on her own and paid it back plus some she might be redeemed but I don't believe she will ever find full redemption.

Clearly she was stealing the money for food. :unsure:

:lol:

20+ Years in my mind, about a year for every year she stole.

:)

The judge was pretty clear on that:

In most embezzlement cases, the majority of the money is gone. In this instance, maybe the judge decided the best way to help disabled kids was recovering the money rather than putting the perp in jail. Her father was under no obligation to pony up the cash, so it was either one or the other.

Why do they have to be mutually exclusive? Pony up the cash and reduce the sentence from 20 to 10 years.

I have no idea why she didn't go to jail. She committed crimes for 14 years, I think she knew what she was doing along the way. It was a premeditated, malicious & she took away money to be used to help mentally challenged kids.

Fry her in oil would be my verdict + 20 years in jail.

Definitely. Say you stole a CD from a store. If you get caught, you can't just hand it back, say you're sorry and that's it. You may just get probation in that case but stealing all this money shouldn't go so lightly punished just because it was returned.

Now she did get 5 years probation. Perhaps with her history she is likely to get caught doing something else and end up in jail. This shouldn't be the case though. This probation is a slight deterrent to her doing something like it again.

In many embezzlement cases not only do the perps not do time, they continue employmentwith the organization to repay the lost funds.

A friend of mine stole a fortune in Canadian money from Holiday Twin Rinks and was caught on camera. He apologized to the owner and promised to repay him through employment there. He ended up working for him for decades, which I thought was a cool deal.

My friend needed the money, for a surgery.

Why do they have to be mutually exclusive? Pony up the cash and reduce the sentence from 20 to 10 years.

Because there were two sides negotiating, that's why. Your hypothetical would have been rejected by the Canahais because they correctly surmised that the prosecutor deemed it more important to recover the money than to put her in jail.

Say you stole a CD from a store. If you get caught, you can't just hand it back, say you're sorry and that's it.

That's because a prosecutor is going to care more about punishing a thief than in recovering a CD that cost 3 cents to make.

Now she did get 5 years probation. This probation is a slight deterrent to her doing something like it again.

Actually, it's a large deterrent because no one is going to put her in a position of trust again.

I can appreciate that people's sense of moral outrage is not being soothed in this case, but it's the way the world works sometimes.

Embezzlement is great, why shouldn't everyone do it?. Steal money and it is yours. If you get caught, you just have to give it back. And you get probation...........wow that's nothing. It is a crime with virtually no risk to the criminal

Good thing she was not convicted in Genesee County

or one of the other "Mayberry RFD" courts. They would

have given her the chair.

Would have only let her off without time if SHE had paid back

the money. If I were the judge I would have at least made

her pay back Abe as a punisment.

Poor Eddie...has to use his retirement/pension money to

keep is doper daughter out of the pokey.

Can you get the stupid Redsox B Out of here!!

Go be a Pats Fan

Embezzlement is great, why shouldn't everyone do it?. Steal money and it is yours. If you get caught, you just have to give it back. And you get probation...........wow that's nothing. It is a crime with virtually no risk to the criminal.

Go for it. Good luck to you.

Just remember to keep all the money you steal so you have a way to plea bargin your way out of jail.