Attn: Al Qaeda

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

sure, i have no problem agreeing that Nickleback has as much credibility as the Monkees, if that is what you are saying. Or the Backstreet Boyz, or even Linkin Park (which was completely orchestrated and put together by a record label, they didnt even know each other before they were a band).

to put it in comparative terms, thats like saying the Monkees were the Kings of Rock while the Rolling Stones are being ignored.

I don't think anybody has (seriously) called Nickelback "Kings of Rock." But they're very successful, have very catchy riffs, and are easy to listen to. There's no substance, but name some mainstream music that DOES have substance. Why do you think there are so many, "Help me find some new music" threads?

if it makes you guys feel any better, in true karmic fashion, because of this thread I've had "this is how you remind me" stuck in my head for the past few hours. but i only know a couple lines, so it's a pretty incessant repeat...

I'm not a huge Nickelback fan, but I admit their tunes are catchy. But they're also VERY similar...

My wife likes listening to them, and I personally think there are far worse bands out there. That said, they may not be the best musicians in the world (duh), but they are amazing businessmen. Or at least Chad Kroeger is, I don't know about the rest of the band.

I've seen them live a couple of times and they put on a pretty entertaining show. They play up the sex, drugs, and rock-and-roll bit throughout the entire show - they interact with the crowd, give people free drinks, and Kroeger pretends to be part of the whole thing, getting beers and shots given to him on stage during the show. If you pay attention though, you can tell it's all an act - he drinks MAYBE 1/4 of a drink total over the 3 hours. He's not stupid - he plays up the image on stage, but knows it's all just an act.

Practically everyone in the country has heard a Nickelback song whether they realize it or not - they're played at sports arenas, commercials, TV shows, video games, you name it!

The guy went from selling drugs on oil rigs to being one of the wealthiest musicians in the world. He's a world-class businessman, not a world-class musician. And there's nothing wrong with that.

This is an excellent post and sums up my feelings way better than I ever could. Plus, there is stuff I did not know. IMO Nickelback is mediocre and overplayed, but music snobs are more of a bane than mediocre bands. It isn't like they have any impact on the actual band, just on the fans who aren't likely to change their own opinion.

Hear the sound of music

Drifting in the aisles

Elevator prozac

Stretching on for miles

The music of the future

Will not entertain

It's only meant to repress

And neutralise your brain

Soul gets squeezed out

Edges get blunt

Demographic

Gives what you want

One of the wonders of the world is going down

It's going down I know

It's one of the blunders of the world that no-one cares

No-one cares enough

Now the sound of music

Comes in silver pills

Engineered to suit you

Building cheaper thrills

The music of rebellion

Makes you wanna rage

But it's made by millionaires

Who are nearly twice your age

Soul gets squeezed out

Edges get blunt

Demographic

Gives what you want

One of the wonders of the world is going down

It's going down I know

It's one of the blunders of the world that no-one cares

No-one cares enough

He's a world-class businessman, not a world-class musician. And there's nothing wrong with that.

Ah. The Madonna argument. Outstanding!

Actually, I'd say there is plenty wrong with that, but I get the point.

I say we just blame Peal Jam for the mess and move on.

Ah. The Madonna argument. Outstanding!

Actually, I'd say there is plenty wrong with that, but I get the point.

I say we just blame Peal Jam for the mess and move on.

Why is there plenty wrong with that? They're giving the customers what they want. You might not like it, but the majority of the world does.

Authors do the same thing. You don't really think Dean Koontz is a great author, do you? But he's richer than sin because he writes books that have a wide audience. They're easily accessible to a wide range of readers and are quick to digest. Kinda like McDonalds. :rolleyes:

Why is there plenty wrong with that? They're giving the customers what they want. You might not like it, but the majority of the world does.

Authors do the same thing. You don't really think Dean Koontz is a great author, do you? But he's richer than sin because he writes books that have a wide audience. They're easily accessible to a wide range of readers and are quick to digest. Kinda like McDonalds. :rolleyes:

I think it should be clear by now that I have little respect for authors like Koontz or McDonald's. I believe that, in most cases (not all) if the masses like something it's probably crap.

Sell-outs that dumb-down their product for the masses, in order to make money, ranks among the things that offend me most.

In this case though, we aren't really dealing with that. I think we are dealing with marginally talented individuals who are pretty much doing marginal work to make a s#itload of cash. I am also offended when making money is the main goal of any enterprise. I have no problem with people making money as a result of doing good work, but in those cases doing good work is the goal and the $$ is the reward. When the $$ comes first, the entire enterprise is compromised.

Obviously, I am regularly offended in my day-to-day life.

I think it should be clear by now that I have little respect for authors like Koontz or McDonald's. I believe that, in most cases (not all) if the masses like something it's probably crap.

Sell-outs that dumb-down their product for the masses, in order to make money, ranks among the things that offend me most.

In this case though, we aren't really dealing with that. I think we are dealing with marginally talented individuals who are pretty much doing marginal work to make a s#itload of cash. I am also offended when making money is the main goal of any enterprise. I have no problem with people making money as a result of doing good work, but in those cases doing good work is the goal and the $$ is the reward. When the $$ comes first, the entire enterprise is compromised.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Well stated sir.

I'll take it one step further in regard to bands like Nickelback. The "musicians" themselves usually aren't even the ones responsible for dumbing things down, those songs are crafted largely by men in suits to appeal to the lowest common denominator. To me whats worse than the new rock bands when it comes to this practice is "new country. Utter garbage.

I'll take it one step further in regard to bands like Nickelback. The "musicians" themselves usually aren't even the ones responsible for dumbing things down, those songs are crafted largely by men in suits to appeal to the lowest common denominator. To me whats worse than the new rock bands when it comes to this practice is "new country. Utter garbage.

In Nickelback's case, they fully control their own empire. I believe they're the ones who sponsor other groups as well - so in a sense, Nickelback has become the "men in suits" you're referring to.

An interesting article:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/may03/arti...chadkroeger.asp

"I can play and sing anything I write really well, but I don't consider myself to be great in either department," says Chad Kroeger. "Whenever I'm in a room with a bunch of singers who I think are better than I am, I'll call myself a guitar player, and whenever I'm in a room with a bunch of guitarists I'll call myself a singer... and when I'm in a room with both, I'll call myself a songwriter." What about when he's in a room with all three?

"Well, then I'll let them all know that I can drink them under the table!

Excuse me... But who is Nickleback? I usually am up on music, but I had to search this one... I do admit, I knew the name... But the name/music NEVER found me! I found they have been around since the mid-1990's... :)<_< I can honetly say I don't kknow who they! Have I been sleeping the last 15 years? I mean WTF! I can at least hit or miss a song by any other popular band... Does my confession say something about the band or me?

Excuse me... But who is Nickleback? I usually am up on music, but I had to search this one... I do admit, I knew the name... But the name/music NEVER found me! I found they have been around since the mid-1990's... :)<_< I can honetly say I don't kknow who they! Have I been sleeping the last 15 years? I mean WTF! I can at least hit or miss a song by any other popular band... Does my confession say something about the band or me?

I can guarantee you've heard their music, whether you recognize it or not. Like I said before, they're master businessmen and have their music in all sorts of TV shows, movies, video games, sporting events, etc.

This song has been "popular' lately - it's even on the NHL10 soundtrack, and I've heard it on a few shows lately (can't tell you what shows offhand):