Trent Edwards - Your Expectations For 2010

Edwards - Have you given up on him?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Edwards - washed up? or still hasn't reached potential

• Still too early to tell - jury's still out
    • Expect a breakout season
    • He's had his chance - he's a bust

I'm curious what the expectations are by you Bills fans for Edward's success this year.

There have been plenty of negative comments on him, but I wonder what percentage of fans reading this forum actually think the Trent Edwards experiment is over.

Here's my 2 cents:

He showed promise in his rookie year. Has good mobility and good accuracy, particularly on the short to medium range throws. There seems to be a concensus among some that the concussion(s) of 2008 were his downfall, and yet in his first game back against San Diego, was playing lights out, at least in terms of percentage completed and QB rating. Go figure.

Last year he didn't want to throw it downfield, or appeared to lack the vision to see plays developing. Comments were made by him to the effect that he was only "doing what he was told to do". And let's face it, it would have been a challenge for any QB to be successful with all the chaos surround the team last season, let alone a guy with only a handful of starts to his name.

I'm still not ready to hang him out to dry. Some here are too young to remember, and others may have conveniently forgotten, that in his first couple of seasons in 1986 and 1987, playing with a reasonably inept team, Jim Kelly had some pretty bad games and his share of criticism and doubt.

So, with a little better O-line (hopefully), an improved running an return game (hopefully), and an offensive-minded coach running the show, can Edwards have a breakout year or has he proven that he's nothing more than a journeyman NFL QB?

I'd like to have everyone consider all the variables and then hear realistic feedback, and not just a bunch of Trent bashing for the sake of negativity.

I still believe that with a little stability, some imaginative play calling, and better tutledge, Edwards has a chance to be a decent QB. Is he Elway. Marino, Manning, or Kelly? No, but not too many are. This is a make or break year and I think we'll find the answers soon enough. What do y'all think?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Edwards has not been right ever since getting concussed on a blitz by Adrian Wilson at Arizona. That hit seemed to take ten years off of his career. His reaction time has gone from average to terrible. I'm not sure if he'll ever come back to where his potential was. His career high game is 289 yards. The only thing that can save his career is the checkdown to Spiller. The way to stop Edwards is to pack 11 defenders within 10 yards of the line of scrimmage, since he refuses to go deep. I joke about the 11 defenders, but am I really joking?

Edwards has not been right ever since getting concussed on a blitz by Adrian Wilson at Arizona. That hit seemed to take ten years off of his career. His reaction time has gone from average to terrible. I'm not sure if he'll ever come back to where his potential was. His career high game is 289 yards. The only thing that can save his career is the checkdown to Spiller. The way to stop Edwards is to pack 11 defenders within 10 yards of the line of scrimmage, since he refuses to go deep. I joke about the 11 defenders, but am I really joking?

He wasn't good to begin with. Everyone points to that record the BILLS had before the smacking he took. All he did was checkdown to that point and get a high completion %. The guy never should have started a game inthe NFL.

He wasn't good to begin with. Everyone points to that record the BILLS had before the smacking he took. All he did was checkdown to that point and get a high completion %. The guy never should have started a game inthe NFL.

In addition D-Ice those victories were ALL against teams that finished the year below .500. It was an inflated record against horrible teams. (I assume we are talking about the 5 - 0 start). If I am not mistaken there was scoring help from special teams and the defense to even achieve 5 - 0. Let's not forget the fact that Trent life time has a ridiculously bad record against 3 - 4 defenses. The only thing that could help him is that he sees a 3 - 4 defense now in practice every day. Time to give Brohm a shot and consider Jake Locker in the 2011 draft.

My prediction for Trent in 2010 is him performing fellatio on the field.

I think trent will look amazing......as he hold the clipboard and calls in the plays to Brian Brohm, who is leading the Bills to yet another victory.

This should be another poll....why the lovefest for Brian Brohm?

He may turn out to be a good QB - who knows? But there's a reason he ended up on Green Bay's practice squad - he wasn't that good! Most 2nd rounders can at least make the 53 man roster.

On the other hand, maybe he was just overwhelmed by the first year NFL experience, and now with a couple of years of seasoning, will settle down and find his groove.

I don't know. I don't have a reason to feel one way or the other about him with nothing more than a mop-up game in Atlanta last year to go by.

I'm more hopeful with Edwards than I am with Brohm. I think Brohm is a long shot to be the starter. I believe the order, barring injury, will be Edwards, Fitzpatrick, Brohm.

He may turn out to be a good QB - who knows? But there's a reason he ended up on Green Bay's practice squad - he wasn't that good! Most 2nd rounders can at least make the 53 man roster.

On the other hand, maybe he was just overwhelmed by the first year NFL experience, and now with a couple of years of seasoning, will settle down and find his groove.

I don't know. I don't have a reason to feel one way or the other about him with nothing more than a mop-up game in Atlanta last year to go by.

I'm more hopeful with Edwards than I am with Brohm. I think Brohm is a long shot to be the starter. I believe the order, barring injury, will be Edwards, Fitzpatrick, Brohm.

He's better physically and mentally then edwards, and apparently this system is very similar to the one he ran at louisville, where he was awesome in 4 yrs, and was a legit heisman contender.

admittedly, he failed in GB, didn't handle it all well, however, if he follows thru with what he's been sayin this offseason, this guy can be the guy for a long time.

his ceiling is much higher than trents IMO, and as he showed in college, he has Never been afraid to throw downfield.

add it all up and what I get is a guy that is capable of winning the starters job and giving the bills a quality QB to build around, which is something that trent is not.

There isn't a love fest per se about Brohm. Basically he represents hope for those who have opened their eyes and see that Edwards has always sucked and represents futility. Basically Brohm is a guy not named Edwards or Fitzpartick.

There isn't a love fest per se about Brohm. Basically he represents hope for those who have opened their eyes and see that Edwards has always sucked and represents futility. Basically Brohm is a guy not named Edwards or Fitzpartick.

That pretty much sums it up.

That pretty much sums it up.

wrong - Brohm is a guy who displayed great skills a few years ago; was put into the wrong NFL system; got "lazy" and never played. Brohm is a guy who could have been #1 over all pick a few years back - he is not just some guy other than TE or RF.

Did anyone ever consider TE or RF potentially worthy of a #1 over all pick?

wrong - Brohm is a guy who displayed great skills a few years ago; was put into the wrong NFL system; got "lazy" and never played. Brohm is a guy who could have been #1 over all pick a few years back - he is not some guy other than TE or RF.

Point taken I guess but basically I think you agree with us that he represents the potential for hope where as the others do not.

wrong - Brohm is a guy who displayed great skills a few years ago; was put into the wrong NFL system; got "lazy" and never played. Brohm is a guy who could have been #1 over all pick a few years back - he is not some guy other than TE or RF.

As it was stated Brohm represents hope. You are right he isn't just some guy, there is potential for greatness given his college career, but we all know college success does not guarantee NFL success.

I'm all aboard the Brohmwagon!

I'm curious what the expectations are by you Bills fans for Edward's success this year.

There have been plenty of negative comments on him, but I wonder what percentage of fans reading this forum actually think the Trent Edwards experiment is over.

Here's my 2 cents:

He showed promise in his rookie year. Has good mobility and good accuracy, particularly on the short to medium range throws. There seems to be a concensus among some that the concussion(s) of 2008 were his downfall, and yet in his first game back against San Diego, was playing lights out, at least in terms of percentage completed and QB rating. Go figure.

Last year he didn't want to throw it downfield, or appeared to lack the vision to see plays developing. Comments were made by him to the effect that he was only "doing what he was told to do". And let's face it, it would have been a challenge for any QB to be successful with all the chaos surround the team last season, let alone a guy with only a handful of starts to his name.

I'm still not ready to hang him out to dry. Some here are too young to remember, and others may have conveniently forgotten, that in his first couple of seasons in 1986 and 1987, playing with a reasonably inept team, Jim Kelly had some pretty bad games and his share of criticism and doubt.

So, with a little better O-line (hopefully), an improved running an return game (hopefully), and an offensive-minded coach running the show, can Edwards have a breakout year or has he proven that he's nothing more than a journeyman NFL QB?

I'd like to have everyone consider all the variables and then hear realistic feedback, and not just a bunch of Trent bashing for the sake of negativity.

I still believe that with a little stability, some imaginative play calling, and better tutledge, Edwards has a chance to be a decent QB. Is he Elway. Marino, Manning, or Kelly? No, but not too many are. This is a make or break year and I think we'll find the answers soon enough. What do y'all think?

My expectations are that he will end up starting and struggle through another injury filled inconsistent season. My hopes are that Brohm ends up the full time starter by the end of the season, and Trent Edwards is cut or traded by next year. If Gailey oversees another merry-go-round of high school level quarterbacking by all three of these guys, I would expect them to be cut or traded, while Levi Brown heads into Free Agency March 1st 2011 as the only QB on the roster. Then we can all spend 20 hours a day out here trying to figure out who the next Bills QB will be.

I was a huge TE fan after his first season based on how he managed the game and his apparent leadership ability. After the infamous hit in Arizona, he seems to have fallen apart and hasn't recovered. (yes I know he had good games in SD and KC). Now I am on the fence. I really want him to succeed, hoping his issues were his lack of coaching and line play. However, I feel his leash is very short in my eyes. He has the talent, but is his head too far gone?

This year is TE's last chance and if he fails, Brohm's only chance. If either of these guys want to be this team's franchise QB, they have to do it THIS year. It's playoffs or bust for these guys. Otherwise, next year's rookie class looks pretty good.

At the end of the day, it's all about WINS. That's the only thing that matters. If Trent wins, he can stay around. If he doesn't win, then he needs to move along. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt one more season. He's had a rough go of it during his young career with all the coaching changes and offensive system changes. It must suck to be Trent in this situation. That said, if he can survive all that and come out strong this season, it will only ultimately make him a better QB. The bottom line is that he has to win football games. That's the gold standard by which QBs are ultimately judged.

What about the Chargers game after the bye where he went 22 of 28 and was ruthlessly efficient?

What about the Chargers game after the bye where he went 22 of 28 and was ruthlessly efficient?

Using my time machine was this back in 2008 when we played San Diego without their best pass rusher Shawn Merriman and they started the season 3 - 10? One game does not a career make.

Just checking :blink:

*As an interesting side note that was the Lee Evans "throw me the damn ball I'm a #1 WR catch against the side of the helmet tip toe TD". Still love that. That is what you get if Trent trusts the guy and throws him the ball.