Steinbrenner and Wilson

major

Well....I can tell you that LA isn't and hasn't been an option in many years (STILL no stadium). Toronto is not an option because they have no NFL stadium, nor are they interested in Bills football.

But then, you could have read these things just about anywhere.

you are telling me that when Baltimore and Nashville had suitable stadiums when they got their teams? Hell even the raiders stadium is a small dive of a hellhole and it hasn't been replaced since they move back. Also, the Rams had to play in Busch stadium for a handful of games before their dome opened up. The NFL would tolerate a subpar stadium. Toronto fans would open up to the NFL if they had their own team as opposed sharing a team. LA only shows up for winners which would be a big knock to moving buffalo over. I agree that LA is far fetched for everyone, except the Chargers and the Jags.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since the late 1980's, this has been true. But before then, he was widely known as a major cheapskate. Ask anyone older than 30 about RW and paying players.

As for paying coaches, he has always been a cheapskate. Up until maybe now, where the rumors were that he was courting the Cowhers and Shanahans but was turned down.

RW's overall legacy will be 180 degrees between what ESPN and the national media say about him and what WNY thinks of him...for the very simple reason that he has failed to secure the team's future in WNY. To most fans of the BUFFALO Bills, Ralph Wilson = Art Modell.

+1.

A good owner like Steinbrenner was knows when it's time to step back, and has a firm succession plan in place.

Big Stein did both, laid the groundwork for building a new stadium for this century that will keep it in its city, and by grooming a successor left no question about who would own/run the team in the future.

Ralph has done neither. Despite the musings of his former top knight that the castle will hold together, it really looks like the kingdom will vanish with the king.

you are telling me that when Baltimore and Nashville had suitable stadiums when they got their teams? Hell even the raiders stadium is a small dive of a hellhole and it hasn't been replaced since they move back. Also, the Rams had to play in Busch stadium for a handful of games before their dome opened up. The NFL would tolerate a subpar stadium. Toronto fans would open up to the NFL if they had their own team as opposed sharing a team. LA only shows up for winners which would be a big knock to moving buffalo over. I agree that LA is far fetched for everyone, except the Chargers and the Jags.

Well..... am telling you that the owners of the Ravens and the Titans knew they were getting new stadiums.

Again, there is no stadium in LA, nor is their one currently under construction. There is no way Toronto is going to build an NFL stadium.

Next....

+1.

A good owner like Steinbrenner was knows when it's time to step back, and has a firm succession plan in place.

Big Stein did both, laid the groundwork for building a new stadium for this century that will keep it in its city, and by grooming a successor left no question about who would own/run the team in the future.

Ralph has done neither. Despite the musings of his former top knight that the castle will hold together, it really looks like the kingdom will vanish with the king.

You really don't think a huge part of the difference is ownership is where both franchises are located? I love Buffalo but I think NYC has a few more resources than us. The Yankees also had their struggles until they just stayed to out spend countries.

And since you know all about Ralph's future plans, can you please share them with the rest of the board? Bashing a guy for something you have no idea is going to happen seems silly no?

And if Norwood makes that kick, do people still try so hard to bash RW? I don't think so. It's funny that the best football writers (who aren't bitter Bills fans) think enough of the guy to put him in the HOF.

Well..... am telling you that the owners of the Ravens and the Titans knew they were getting new stadiums.

Again, there is no stadium in LA, nor is their one currently under construction. There is no way Toronto is going to build an NFL stadium.

Next....

i disagree with Toronto not building an NFL caliber stadium. If someone wanted to do in Toronto, they have the population and accumlated wealth to put at least 65,000 seats together and sell them at a reasonable price. In LA, there are developers that are trying, with a feasible makeshift stadium in the old "Mausoleum"

You really don't think a huge part of the difference is ownership is where both franchises are located? I love Buffalo but I think NYC has a few more resources than us. The Yankees also had their struggles until they just stayed to out spend countries.

And since you know all about Ralph's future plans, can you please share them with the rest of the board? Bashing a guy for something you have no idea is going to happen seems silly no?

And if Norwood makes that kick, do people still try so hard to bash RW? I don't think so. It's funny that the best football writers (who aren't bitter Bills fans) think enough of the guy to put him in the HOF.

I didn't claim to know Ralph's plans. As I said, it is the leaving the fans in the dark on succession that denotes a major difference b/w the men.

GS took care of his fans by ensuring a smooth transition, not making them worry about whether they would still have a team 6 months after the big guy kicked it.

Comparing NFL to MLB is apples to oranges re: the cap. Stabilizing a franchise to exist after the death of an aged owner for sure isn't dependent on market size. RW has refused to stabilize the Bills. In fact, it's like everything has been done to ensure that the next owner will have no tie-downs to the Buffalo area. How many times have Erie, state and national pols talked about starting the process of building a new stadium and they're shot down? It's being set up so the next guy's first act will be to call the Mayflower trucks.

I understand, given Ralph's age, how and why this and other "what happens after Ralph goes" threads keep popping up, but I have to say I'm tired of them. The guy isn't dead yet! Can we show some respect? I want to see Ralph holding the Lombardi trophy one day in the not-too-distant future.

I didn't claim to know Ralph's plans. As I said, it is the leaving the fans in the dark on succession that denotes a major difference b/w the men.

GS took care of his fans by ensuring a smooth transition, not making them worry about whether they would still have a team 6 months after the big guy kicked it.

Comparing NFL to MLB is apples to oranges re: the cap. Stabilizing a franchise to exist after the death of an aged owner for sure isn't dependent on market size. RW has refused to stabilize the Bills. In fact, it's like everything has been done to ensure that the next owner will have no tie-downs to the Buffalo area. How many times have Erie, state and national pols talked about starting the process of building a new stadium and they're shot down? It's being set up so the next guy's first act will be to call the Mayflower trucks.

Yeah, pretty much. RW avoids talking about the issue to WNYers because he knows the franchise is as good as gone to Toronto or LA. And he's okay with this because it will net his family the most money. That will be this "great" man's legacy on this Earth: $$$.