JaMarcus Russell arrested for possession of a controlled substance...

boyst

This might be the best thing that happened to him. It can explain how he got fat and sucked..........If this gets him to rehab and he gets it, he'll get a second chance. Teams will look at the Raider years as before rehab years.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This might be the best thing that happened to him. It can explain how he got fat and sucked..........If this gets him to rehab and he gets it, he'll get a second chance. Teams will look at the Raider years as before rehab years.

I was thinking the exact same thing

yes, if only b/c he made more $$ and did less.

both seem to have a prob with the opiates

Lots of players get hooked when they take them for injuries. Then it's just a lifestyle, because these guys are basically injured for the rest of their lives. It's no excuse for his poor play though, many good/great players have the same problem. Bret Favre comes to mind. It's way more common than the NFL wants the fans to know.

Lots of players get hooked when they take them for injuries. Then it's just a lifestyle, because these guys are basically injured for the rest of their lives. It's no excuse for his poor play though, many good/great players have the same problem. Bret Favre comes to mind. It's way more common than the NFL wants the fans to know.

yeah, I was just sayin both were top pick qb bust with apparent opiate issues, although percocet and codiene syrup are different.

yeah, I was just sayin both were top pick qb bust with apparent opiate issues, although percocet and codiene syrup are different.

Not all that different. They both fall into the class of a narcotic. Just different narcotics...

Not all that different. They both fall into the class of a narcotic. Just different narcotics...

yes, i know they are narcotics, because they are both derivatives of opiates, which is what I said originally. however, leaf was hooked on painkillers, either hydrocodone or percocet, i cant remember which, and russell seems to enjoy the sizzurp, so while they are the same base, they are in fact different drugs.

The key difference here is that JaMarcus wasn't hooked on painkillers, an addiction brought on by the treatment of the excessive pain of playing football, but was busted with a recreational drug that people use to get high.

I don't know that much about purple drank, but my sense is that it's not something you use to recover from a torn ACL, or the chronic muscle and joint pain that football players suffer from, and treat with strong drugs.

Codeine.

Also, this aint the first time he's been caught with purple drank, just the first time by the cops:

http://forums.kffl.com/showthread.php?t=261642

Purple dank. :devil: That's a new one to me.

Ya gotta wonder why he still uses the cheap ghetto buzz, now that he can afford something much cleaner and better. This stuff has to be rough on the system.

The key difference here is that JaMarcus wasn't hooked on painkillers, an addiction brought on by the treatment of the excessive pain of playing football, but was busted with a recreational drug that people use to get high.

I don't know that much about purple drank, but my sense is that it's not something you use to recover from a torn ACL, or the chronic muscle and joint pain that football players suffer from, and treat with strong drugs.

Codeine is a painkiller. That's one of its primary uses (that and as a cough suppressant). He may be taking it for other reasons, but I'm sure it helped dull the pains he gets from playing, much as Vicodin does.

I recall some of the brand names of the codeine cough syrups...Novahistine, Robitussin AC, Cheracol D. You went to a pharmacy and signed a book, attesting that you would not buy another bottle for 24 hours.

That changed in the early '70's (in NYS). A friend of mine who was a pharmacist and owned his own business ordered large quantities in anticipation of the last day. He nailed it - the lines were out the door. The parking lot was full of Cold Springs taxis - if anyone remembers that outfit.

The stuff sold for about 2 bucks a bottle back then, and was re-sold for 5 IIRC. Turpin hydrate was included in the ban; it was known as "G.I. Gin" because the military used it and folks got hooked.