Why the Bills drafted CJ Spiller

CJ Spiller is going to be the biggest match-up problem in the NFL next year, and here are the two reasons why.

1. CJ has a has a very unique COMBINATION of talents

-Speed, quickness, vision, and patience to run the ball

-Deep speed, short area quickness, good hands, and intellegence to be a receiver

2. Chan Gailey has the creativity and the balls to use Spiller in the best and most unconventional ways

-The Bills offense is going to be different than every other offense in the NFL. There is going to be a lot of motion that is going to cause confusion in defenses. And if defenses make one wrong step, guys like CJ Spiller and Roscoe Parrish are going to take it the distance.

-Some of the best offenses in the NFL are the different offenses. Remember the K-Gun? One of the reasons that was so successful is because the Bills were the only team in the NFL that was fully committed to it. Similarly, the Dolphins are the best at the Wildcat because they are the most heavily committed to it.

In summary, the Bills didn't just draft a runningback/wr. They drafted a player that is going to help them launch a new style of offense that I believe will be very successful.

All good points, but overall I don't think that C.J. Spiller will be a match-up problem at all next year. The Offensive line is still relatively poor yet. I think the offensive line is on the upswing and with continued improvement could become average.

Remember it all starts with the Offensive line to open up holes for the RB's and to give the QB time in the pocket when passing.

The WR postion is undermanned and inexperienced except for Lee Evans are WR's are unproven and may be more of a liability than a plus. This makes our Offensive game likely to be more of a one dimensional attack.

I think it is easy to say with little doubt that our QB positon is below average and isn't likely to change anytime soon with

the same QB's on the roster. I know, I know..Chan Gailey is good with QB's generally, but he has his work cut out for him this time! I don't think we have successfully solved this puzzle this season. I think throughout the year this will be an obvious shortcoming of the team and lend itself to making the offense even more one dimensional as the coaches will probably lose confidence in the passing game. The focus will probably be on running the ball and the opponents defense

will play up anticipating a runninng play most of the time.

I just don't see at this point where any RB except for maybe Barry Sanders (back in the day) would be too difficult to contain considering all the other positional deficiencies that remain because they haven't been properly addressed.

I do agree that it appears that C.J. Spiller has future Pro-bowl potential based on his college career and what he should bring to the team in the future, but I don't see him having an adequate opportunity to produce quite yet until the Bills fill some voids at other positions on the offense.

Also, the Bills have holes on defense as well and until they are shored up properly will lose the time of possession game and limit the amount of offense snaps the team will have during each game. Remember a good defense makes for a better Offense as the offense will have more opportunities to make a play.

I think that Chan Gailey trying to be a head coach and call all the offensive plays (as Modkins is incapable yet due to the fact that he has never been an offesive coordinator at any level before) is a bad thing. There is a reason why most teams

have positional coaches, coordinators, and a head coach and I think that the team functions at a higher level if each of those positons are traditionally filled with coaches that have experience at the coaching positon they are hired for. Also, I think the offense would perform better following the same logic.

So far, at least from what I have read to date is that the Bills will likely designate about 12 plays a game to C.J. Spiller. Although it is up to him and the players around him to maximize his production based on his touches; it doesn't project

him to total big numbers this season. Even if he averaged 5 yards a carry which is better than average he'd only have about 60 yards a game! Not big numbers in fantasy or real football by any measure. 6 Yards a carry would give him 72 yards a game.

If the Bills run 3 Rb's and hold on to Lynch this season I think they will be inclined to try to share the wealth of carries equally among all three RB's unless their is a substantial difference in production between the three of them. Like I said,

I think there will be a lack of opportunity between limited carries, and talent deficiencies on the Bills to give C.J. Spiller

the potential to shine like a Gem this year.

I do hope you are right and I am wrong, and the Bills win 10 games this year, C.J. Spiller runs for over a thousand yards, and the coaches do a fabulous job, and a future franchise QB comes from this mix, but looking at things realistically I just don't see any of these things happening based on what I have witnessed!

2010 season prediction 5-11 :rolleyes:

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest dog14787
CJ Spiller is going to be the biggest match-up problem in the NFL next year, and here are the two reasons why.

-Deep speed, short area quickness, good hands, and intellegence to be a receiver

2. Chan Gailey has the creativity and the balls to use Spiller in the best and most unconventional ways

-The Bills offense is going to be different than every other offense in the NFL. There is going to be a lot of motion that is going to cause confusion in defenses. And if defenses make one wrong step, guys like CJ Spiller and Roscoe Parrish are going to take it the distance.

-Some of the best offenses in the NFL are the different offenses. Remember the K-Gun? One of the reasons that was so successful is because the Bills were the only team in the NFL that was fully committed to it. Similarly, the Dolphins are the best at the Wildcat because they are the most heavily committed to it.

In summary, the Bills didn't just draft a runningback/wr. They drafted a player that is going to help them launch a new style of offense that I believe will be very successful.

Great post :rolleyes:

The Buffalo Bills need big play makers, players that can take it to the house every time they touch the ball, players you have to specifically defend against, and CJ Spiller is that type of player.

So far, at least from what I have read to date is that the Bills will likely designate about 12 plays a game to C.J. Spiller. Although it is up to him and the players around him to maximize his production based on his touches; it doesn't project

him to total big numbers this season. Even if he averaged 5 yards a carry which is better than average he'd only have about 60 yards a game! Not big numbers in fantasy or real football by any measure. 6 Yards a carry would give him 72 yards a game.

If the Bills run 3 Rb's and hold on to Lynch this season I think they will be inclined to try to share the wealth of carries equally among all three RB's unless their is a substantial difference in production between the three of them. Like I said,

I think there will be a lack of opportunity between limited carries, and talent deficiencies on the Bills to give C.J. Spiller

the potential to shine like a Gem this year.

I do hope you are right and I am wrong, and the Bills win 10 games this year, C.J. Spiller runs for over a thousand yards, and the coaches do a fabulous job, and a future franchise QB comes from this mix, but looking at things realistically I just don't see any of these things happening based on what I have witnessed!

2010 season prediction 5-11 :rolleyes:

I think what is more realistic way to project his touches would be about 10 runs, 5 targets on pass plays, and a few returns. If he ends up averaging 50 yards rushing, 30 or so catching, 8-10 yards a return and then breaks one big play every game or two, I dont think a single person would complain. The thing is, its hard to gauge a guy like this sometimes because even in a game where he get 8 yards on 6 carries, his mere presence on the field could open up big plays to a lot of other people. Reggie bush hasnt put up huuuuge numbers, but the fact that he can score anytime (and does frequently), and put up a game like he did against arizona, makes it so that whole offense can do things they otherwise wouldnt. Theres a reason sean payton and mickey loomis laugh off questions about his 8mil salary next year - they figure so be it, might be a little high for him, but in the end that presence on the field is near impossible to replace - we now have it too.

that said, my prediction, 8-8 (granted they havent even put on pads yet so we will see!)

Here is a direct quote from Wikipedia:

"The most famous and complete usage of the no-huddle offense was executed by the Buffalo Bills offense, nicknamed the "K-Gun", during the 1990's under head coach Marv Levy and offensive coordinator Ted Marchibroda."

I was in a sense innovative, because it was the first time a team pretty much exclusively ran the no huddle offense

Thank you for researching this. When I first read nucci's post, I thought it didn't really jive with my recollection of all the hype around year one of the K-gun. By the second year though, defenses we're adjusting, but still couldn't stop the Bills because of the outstanding talent & precision execution. But I clearly remember reading plenty of articles back then on the innovation of Marchibroda's design & Kelly's ability to run it.

Wrong. They drafted him because RW said to.

Great post :rolleyes:

The Buffalo Bills need big play makers, players that can take it to the house every time they touch the ball, players you have to specifically defend against, and CJ Spiller is that type of player.

I could not disagree more.

The Bills dont need more "2 or 3 games a year Ill break a long touchdown and make an ESPN highlight" players (Evans/Parrish/McKelvin/now maybe Spiller)

The Bills need "I BRING IT EVERY FUKIN DOWN" players. Big nasty behemoths who overpower and dominate their individual match ups on the O or D line. These are the players who contributes are not on ESPN and 80% of fans wouldn't even notice this players importance to the teams success. Players who bring it every play. The Bills need a RB who wont try and bounce it outside on a 3rd and 3, put his head down and get the first.

The last thing the Bills need is some "hail mary prayer" type player who they hope can score long touchdowns - while they ignore the fact they cannot establish an offensive drive. That type of thinking has gotten us into the situation we are currently in, and is moving us in the wrong direction.

Seriously, building a team around guys like Spiller/Evans/Parrish/McKelvin is essential like building an offensive game plan that is "3 hail mary bombs, hopefully we will score an 80 yard TD, but we will punt if we dont"

Guest dog14787
I could not disagree more.

The Bills dont need more "2 or 3 games a year Ill break a long touchdown and make an ESPN highlight" players (Evans/Parrish/McKelvin/now maybe Spiller)

The Bills need "I BRING IT EVERY FUKIN DOWN" players. Big nasty behemoths who overpower and dominate their individual match ups on the O or D line. These are the players who contributes are not on ESPN and 80% of fans wouldn't even notice this players importance to the teams success. Players who bring it every play. The Bills need a RB who wont try and bounce it outside on a 3rd and 3, put his head down and get the first.

The last thing the Bills need is some "hail mary prayer" type player who they hope can score long touchdowns - while they ignore the fact they cannot establish an offensive drive. That type of thinking has gotten us into the situation we are currently in, and is moving us in the wrong direction.

Seriously, building a team around guys like Spiller/Evans/Parrish/McKelvin is essential like building an offensive game plan that is "3 hail mary bombs, hopefully we will score an 80 yard TD, but we will punt if we dont"

What do you think a player like CJ Spiller is who can go all the way on any given play and can catch as good as he runs. Or how about the fact that Spiller can also throw and return for TD's?

Defenses will have to give Spiller extra attention which in turn will open up more opportunity for other weapons when they do,

The Fella averaged a TD a game throughout college, Spiller's a scoring machine, hello, points win ball games,

The days of the big bruiser, I will bowl you over, one dimensional RB's dominating the league are pretty much over in my opinion.

What do you think a player like CJ Spiller is who can go all the way on any given play and can catch as good as he runs. Or how about the fact that Spiller can also throw and return for TD's?

Defenses will have to give Spiller extra attention which in turn will open up more opportunity for other weapons when they do,

The Fella averaged a TD a game throughout college, Spiller's a scoring machine, hello, points win ball games,

The days of the big bruiser, I will bowl you over, one dimensional RB's dominating the league are pretty much over in my opinion.

My quote was aimed at Lineman. Guys like Ngata on D or Clady or Oher on O. Spiller may be "dynamic" but I dont want "a chance to score every time he touches the ball" - with 15 other touches that average <2yards per touch. The Bills need consistency. They need guys who have the positional opportunity to dominate their job every down. Hell, Spiller wont even be on the field for 75% of the offensive snaps.

I just hate the idea that the Bills will get some home run threat and that will somehow mask the fact that the Bills suck everywhere else.

The Bills have tried this before and failed every time. Evans, McKelvin, Parrish.... they are good players who have a couple special plays a year, but they lack ability and opportunity to make a more positive contribution. Evans has no QB to throw him the ball and Parrish/Mckelvin can only field so many punts in a game.

Instead of some hail mary attempt to score points, why not build a team that can consistently score points? Why not assemble a quality OL instead of continuing to add "weapons" like a 12 year runs his madden franchise. You wouldn't call three hail mary bombs to Evans in a row as an offensive drive, so why build a team with the same philosophy? Its easy to see why this team hasn't made the playoffs this millennium.

I think Gailey is gonna use him like the Vikes used Percy Harvin his rookie year. Less backfield handoffs than college and more underneath routes, reverses, screens, pitches. Stuff that will get him some space to operate. Harvin obviously adjusted well to the change and I see a lot of similarities between he and Spiller in terms of the way they play.

We have Freddy and Lynch for the normal workload, I think Spiller gets 3-5 carries a game, and the rest is receptions and YAC baby !

Guest dog14787
My quote was aimed at Lineman. Guys like Ngata on D or Clady or Oher on O. Spiller may be "dynamic" but I dont want "a chance to score every time he touches the ball" - with 15 other touches that average <2yards per touch. The Bills need consistency. They need guys who have the positional opportunity to dominate their job every down. Hell, Spiller wont even be on the field for 75% of the offensive snaps.

I just hate the idea that the Bills will get some home run threat and that will somehow mask the fact that the Bills suck everywhere else.

The Bills have tried this before and failed every time. Evans, McKelvin, Parrish.... they are good players who have a couple special plays a year, but they lack ability and opportunity to make a more positive contribution. Evans has no QB to throw him the ball and Parrish/Mckelvin can only field so many punts in a game.

Instead of some hail mary attempt to score points, why not build a team that can consistently score points? Why not assemble a quality OL instead of continuing to add "weapons" like a 12 year runs his madden franchise. You wouldn't call three hail mary bombs to Evans in a row as an offensive drive, so why build a team with the same philosophy? Its easy to see why this team hasn't made the playoffs this millennium.

I have absolutely no argument against building a quality O-line.

I would agree except for the offensive line. The K-gun had an outstanding offensive line that gave the skill players time to do their jobs. Unless I see a better offensive line this year, I think the Bills will still have offensive problems.