My GUESS is Spillrt at #2 WR

I doubt we will see this declared officially on the depth chart until it happens so as not to tip our hand but my sense is:

1. There is an obvious opening for a #2 WR-

In fact when we let TO walk we actually are letting go our WR that finished 1st in receptions and total yards and Evans finished a mere 1 TD ahead of TO whom we let go. Lets take it as a given that Evans is the #1 WR (even though statistically he was not) but this merely even more sharply identifies we are missing a #2 WR.

2. There are several candidates for this essential #2 role but none is a lock to step up into this job=

A. Johnson is highly regarded by all, but the statistical fact (which does not determine anything for sure but is an indicator which cannot be logically totally ignored) is that he regressed in achievements last year with fewer receptions, yards and games played. There was simply little or no nothing about Edwards which indicated he simply demands to play with his accomplishments on the field.

B. Hardy has collegiate accomplishments, great height (this cannot be taught), and a nice TD pm a fade route early in his rookie year but simply defines the saying that potential means you have not done anything real yet.

C. Easley is well regarded in the draft books and most agree the Bills got a steal in the 4th. However. Gailey is not a fool who is gonna demand that this rookie step in an immediately force single coverage opportunities for Evans.

These three are all viable plan Bs but little else.

3. There are strong reasobs why Spiller might be a good candidate to be at least as viable a plan B as the three young potential heir apparents.

A. Spiller's rep demands he be on the field- He is a top 10 choice for a reason and he has to get a chunk of touches in order to make this a reasonable choice.

B. Touches are gonna be harder to get at RB where Spiller is at best #2 behind Jackson and the #3 is a former Pro Bowler.

C. He had reasonable output as a receiver in college and his write ups specifically site him as a threat to line up wide at WR. Reggie Bush is an example often sited about how to use him productively.

D. His small size has folks questioning already whether he is a 3 down RB.

4. There are great strategic advantages to using him as a WR.

1. If he is used regularly as split end, it forces opposing teams to deal with two WRs who both demand a very fast CB or a double cover over and under.

A. Spiller's speed on the opposite side from Evans automatically makes Evans have more shots as simply dting Evana becomes more difficult to dicey for a DC to do. Either you single cover Evans and do not cover him tight or you over and under both him tight under with someone over if he runs a fly. You almost have to do the same with Spiller. He will have run a few fly patterns (and even better catch some long passes and even better score some TDs in order to make folks respect him, but the Evans/Spillrer set is scary fast. The Jets will likely give Revis one on one with Evans a lot the first game but Gailey should at least challenge this by splitting out Spiller and throwing to him a lot at WR.

B. Spiller has already show his broken field running ability in college. Pro athletes are bigger and faster and Spiller will need help finding space as a pro. Quick passes, near illegal picks, and slant patterns are ways to get Spiller the ball in space to him without him having to run past people like he did in college.

C. The Bills are showing signs already that an assumption of a trade of Lynch may not happen. Unless the Bills start running the wishbone its hard for me to see how they get all three RBs on the field at the same time without using Spiller as a WR. If all three are on the field at the same time it presents real challenges for the DC.

If I am Gailey I am working hard on getting Spiller in the game as my #2 WR.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although I do not object to Spiller lining up wide from time to time, I would NOT like to see this happen on a regular basis. The main advantage Spiller has as a running back is that he will be matched-up against slower, bigger LB'ers. If he plays wide-out, that advantage won't be so lopsided.

I wouldn't have him as my #2 WR but I'd have him splitting out or going in motion a lot of the time- if he's only going in as a third down back then that was a waste of a 1st round pick- he should be on the field about 75-80% of the time but he should be used as a decoy about 60% of the time. 12-15 runs 6-8 passes thrown to him and the rest of the time making the defense worry about him.

I see a lot of passes over the middle that will allow him to turn upfield and move fast down the middle. I'd be willing to bet that if he can turn upfield he can turn a five yard pass into at least ten yards 70% of the time. JMO

I think he's gonna be used as a slot receiver and catching a lot of screen passes.

for the last time 5-11 200 lbs is not small, its the same size as thurman thomas and many primary backs in the league today. I have no problems with the rest of the post but this part always irks me.

I doubt we will see this declared officially on the depth chart until it happens so as not to tip our hand but my sense is:

In fact when we let TO walk we actually are letting go our WR that finished 1st in receptions and total yards and Evans finished a mere 1 TD ahead of TO whom we let go. Lets take it as a given that Evans is the #1 WR (even though statistically he was not) but this merely even more sharply identifies we are missing a #2 WR.

Though you skirt around it, the true issue is that we are missing a #1 receiver and maybe a #2. In fact, Lee All-Star Evans has had just 3 or fewer catches in 16 of his last 32 games. 4 or fewer catches in 25 of his last 32 games. And only 3 games with more than 5 catches in that same period. Looks, sounds and plays like a #3 WR to me.

Though you skirt around it, the true issue is that we are missing a #1 receiver and maybe a #2. In fact, Lee All-Star Evans has had just 3 or fewer catches in 16 of his last 32 games. 4 or fewer catches in 25 of his last 32 games. And only 3 games with more than 5 catches in that same period. Looks, sounds and plays like a #3 WR to me.

I agree. I believe we have some real options at WR fortunately. Unfortunately we need one of them to be the #1, I hope there's one that manifests.

2. There are several candidates for this essential #2 role but none is a lock to step up into this job=

A. Johnson is highly regarded by all, but the statistical fact (which does not determine anything for sure but is an indicator which cannot be logically totally ignored) is that he regressed in achievements last year with fewer receptions, yards and games played. There was simply little or no nothing about Edwards which indicated he simply demands to play with his accomplishments on the field.

B. Hardy has collegiate accomplishments, great height (this cannot be taught), and a nice TD pm a fade route early in his rookie year but simply defines the saying that potential means you have not done anything real yet.

C. Easley is well regarded in the draft books and most agree the Bills got a steal in the 4th. However. Gailey is not a fool who is gonna demand that this rookie step in an immediately force single coverage opportunities for Evans.

3. There are strong reasobs why Spiller might be a good candidate to be at least as viable a plan B as the three young potential heir apparents.

A. Spiller's rep demands he be on the field- He is a top 10 choice for a reason and he has to get a chunk of touches in order to make this a reasonable choice.

B. Touches are gonna be harder to get at RB where Spiller is at best #2 behind Jackson and the #3 is a former Pro Bowler.

C. He had reasonable output as a receiver in college and his write ups specifically site him as a threat to line up wide at WR. Reggie Bush is an example often sited about how to use him productively.

1. If he is used regularly as split end, it forces opposing teams to deal with two WRs who both demand a very fast CB or a double cover over and under.

A. Spiller's speed on the opposite side from Evans automatically makes Evans have more shots as simply dting Evana becomes more difficult to dicey for a DC to do. Either you single cover Evans and do not cover him tight or you over and under both him tight under with someone over if he runs a fly. You almost have to do the same with Spiller. He will have run a few fly patterns (and even better catch some long passes and even better score some TDs in order to make folks respect him, but the Evans/Spillrer set is scary fast. The Jets will likely give Revis one on one with Evans a lot the first game but Gailey should at least challenge this by splitting out Spiller and throwing to him a lot at WR.

B. Spiller has already show his broken field running ability in college. Pro athletes are bigger and faster and Spiller will need help finding space as a pro. Quick passes, near illegal picks, and slant patterns are ways to get Spiller the ball in space to him without him having to run past people like he did in college.

C. The Bills are showing signs already that an assumption of a trade of Lynch may not happen. Unless the Bills start running the wishbone its hard for me to see how they get all three RBs on the field at the same time without using Spiller as a WR. If all three are on the field at the same time it presents real challenges for the DC.

based on the setiment that M. Lynch will probably not be traded, that there isn't enough of a workload for 3 capable running backs, and that Spiller may be used exclusively as a #2 WR (or at least part-time)...Why didn't we just draft a true WR instead of going through the process of trying to basically convert a RB with pass catching abilities. Just like when we drafted Aaron Maybin as a DE even though he became somewhat of a project who we needed to convert to a OLB. Instead I would have drafted Brian Orakapo as a True DE and a WR to catch the ball. Makes me think that next year after the EdFitzBrohm experiment proves fruitless that we'll draft a WR to be our franchise QB when considering the Bill's braintrusts' logic! :devil: 5-11 oh no!!

for the last time 5-11 200 lbs is not small, its the same size as thurman thomas and many primary backs in the league today. I have no problems with the rest of the post but this part always irks me.

I agree. I know, seriously. CJ is not a midget like some people try to imagine he is. He is not a Sproles, he is a Thurman sized back. Now please everyone, let the size issue rest. It has died and should be buried and should not be spoken of again. Don't let it rise from the grave.

I agree. I know, seriously. CJ is not a midget like some people try to imagine he is. He is not a Sproles, he is a Thurman sized back. Now please everyone, let the size issue rest. It has died and should be buried and should not be spoken of again. Don't let it rise from the grave.

Thurman Thomas weighed 206. Spiller is 196. Spiller is NOT a Thurman-sized back, and Thurman played 10 years ago. Linebackers, linemen and most importantly, RBs have gotten bigger since then. Thurman was pretty much average-sized when he played.

Even the FO has acknowledged that Spiller won't be a full-time back. The reason is that he's too small. He's a Reggie Bush type, and will be used that way.

The fact that you don't like talking about it doesn't affect the fact - and it's a fact - that it's a major issue.

Thurman Thomas weighed 206. Spiller is 196. Spiller is NOT a Thurman-sized back, and Thurman played 10 years ago. Linebackers, linemen and most importantly, RBs have gotten bigger since then. Thurman was pretty much average-sized when he played.

Even the FO has acknowledged that Spiller won't be a full-time back. The reason is that he's too small. He's a Reggie Bush type, and will be used that way.

The fact that you don't like talking about it doesn't affect the fact - and it's a fact - that it's a major issue.

Oh be nice. You don't have to agree with my point of view and vice versa. Spiller is young, he can put on 10 lbs if that will please you.

Evans is a #1, and there aren't any doubts about it except on the boards.

He didn't have many catches the past few years? It's hard to catch balls that aren't thrown to you, no matter how open you are. And Lee was constantly open.

You could hear it in the radio broadcasts, even though you can't see on TV who's open downfield. Again and again, Kelso was saying after the play "Trent chose to go short there, even though he had a man open downfield. I don't know if he didn't see him or what, but he hit the checkdown for a three-yard gain. Fourth and slix and the punting team trots onto the field." Again and again and again. Kelso kept repeating that Lee was often open.

Again, you can't catch the balls that aren't thrown to you.

And that won't change no matter who is the #2. Though it won't be Spiller. Spiller will doubtlessly play split out sometimes, though. But won't be a #2.

Oh be nice. You don't have to agree with my point of view and vice versa. Spiller is young, he can put on 10 lbs if that will please you.

He could put on 30 pounds if he wanted to, much less 10. But adding weight would slow him up. Which would be counter-productive.

Thurman was never a speed merchant. Spiller is.

As for being nice, you're the one who said the issue was dead. That's what I was responding to. People with your point of view are going to be dealing with this issue for the length of his career. And the Bills will use him in a way that's respectful of his body size, limitations and also, of course, possibilities and talents.

Evans is a #1, and there aren't any doubts about it except on the boards.

He didn't have many catches the past few years? It's hard to catch balls that aren't thrown to you, no matter how open you are. And Lee was constantly open.

You could hear it in the radio broadcasts, even though you can't see on TV who's open downfield. Again and again, Kelso was saying after the play "Trent chose to go short there, even though he had a man open downfield. I don't know if he didn't see him or what, but he hit the checkdown for a three-yard gain. Fourth and slix and the punting team trots onto the field." Again and again and again. Kelso kept repeating that Lee was often open.

Again, you can't catch the balls that aren't thrown to you.

And that won't change no matter who is the #2. Though it won't be Spiller. Spiller will doubtlessly play split out sometimes, though. But won't be a #2.

Agreed. Spiller wasn't drafted to be a #2 wideout. I'm glad you caught all that Kelso had said. Perhaps Trent doesn't have as much field vision as i thought he did. This is a frightening thought. Mark Kelso must've been frustrated as hellz. I hate it how the cameras don't show all the players as the plays unfold. Makes it hard for us to analyze each play and play slow motion to see if everyone is positioned where they should be as the play happens.

He could put on 30 pounds if he wanted to, much less 10. But adding weight would slow him up. Which would be counter-productive.

Thurman was never a speed merchant. Spiller is.

As for being nice, you're the one who said the issue was dead. That's what I was responding to. People with your point of view are going to be dealing with this issue for the length of his career. And the Bills will use him in a way that's respectful of his body size, limitations and also, of course, possibilities and talents.

OK maybe the issue isn't as dead as i thought. But you could still be a bit more tactful with your responses.

As usual, GP provides lots of good munchies for thought. But the thing that makes Spiller most dangerous is his ability to operate in space. Lining him up wide negates 2/3s of the field for him to operate in. When he is used as a receiver it will most likely be from the slot AFTER he has shifted out of the backfield. This will allow him to exploit mismatches against slower LBs and Ss (he is the fastest player in the AFC East) and, most importantly, allow him the extra space that lining up in the middle of the field provides.

Spiller is gonna snap a LOT of LB and S ankles this year. It's gonna be fun to watch.

GO BILLS!!!

[/quote

Anybody remember Haven Moses and O.J. Simpson playing WR at the same time... ??? It didn't work!!