Ranking the presidents

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or why?

Rising food and fuel prices inflate the price of everything else

I don't remember the when but I remember the why

publicly given reason, food and energy prices are too volatile to give accurate information on inflation trends

speculated reason, food and energy prices raises the rate of inflation which looks bad for politicians and increases the amount of payouts for Social Security and other inflation indexed programs.

I don't remember the when but I remember the why

publicly given reason, food and energy prices are too volatile to give accurate information on inflation trends

speculated reason, food and energy prices raises the rate of inflation which looks bad for politicians and increases the amount of payouts for Social Security and other inflation indexed programs.

That actually would make sense. However, it still is a misleading gauge.

That actually would make sense. However, it still is a misleading gauge.

I agree but it is the gauge they use now - I was wondering if it was the cause of the 13.6% to 18% gap- maybe 1980 article used the old measurement that included food and energy while my data compares inflation using the new measurement that doesn't.

I think its obvious that we did better under Reagan than Carter, but I am still not comfortable saying that they are completely responsible for what happened during their terms. Government is more than just the President.

I think its obvious that we did better under Reagan than Carter, but I am still not comfortable saying that they are completely responsible for what happened during their terms. Government is more than just the President.

Agree with this, I sometimes wonder what we would have thought of the Bush Presidency if he had Powell as Vice President, James Baker as Secretary of the State, and Richard Lugar as Secretary of Defense.

Agree with this, I sometimes wonder what we would have thought of the Bush Presidency if he had Powell as Vice President, James Baker as Secretary of the State, and Richard Lugar as Secretary of Defense.

I'm late to this discussion but have read the last 3 or 4 pages. I feel dumber for having done so.

A couple things. The full list, I didn't see it posted but I haven't read all 6 pages.

Ranking Obama at #13 is ridiculous, whether you are a liberal or conservative. That puts him ahead of LBJ AND Reagan. LBJ certainly has more "landmark legislation" history if you're a liberal. Even the rigged Daily Kos polls show that less than 50% of us support the healthcare legislation.

Herbert Hoover and Calvin Coolidge over GWB? Come on, really?

Um, yeah, Jimmy Carter ended inflation.

FDR ranks first in overall accomplishments

:devil:

I love how fillmore wasn't on the bottom 5 list in '82, '90, '94... then he's the unanimous worst president of all-time in 2002. Must have had a bad year.

He's swiftly recovered of course, since in 2010 he's again not on the worst list. Moving on up.

:devil:

I love how fillmore wasn't on the bottom 5 list in '82, '90, '94... then he's the unanimous worst president of all-time in 2002. Must have had a bad year.

He's swiftly recovered of course, since in 2010 he's again not on the worst list. Moving on up.

Welcome back murra. How do you feel about the oil spill now?

Also, I nominate "imagination" as the most ridiculous category ever.

Don't get me wrong here, I understand that people need a PhD in history to conclude that James Polk is the 17th most imaginitive president of all-time.

Presidential power-rankings ftw.

Also, I nominate "imagination" as the most ridiculous category ever.

Don't get me wrong here, I understand that people need a PhD in history to conclude that James Polk is the 17th most imaginitive president of all-time.

Presidential power-rankings ftw.

I wish they had "imagination" as a category in the NFL rankings. I wonder where Dick Jauron would have ranked?