Giants' disgruntled LT might be worth keeping an eye on.

John, I usually agree with your posts. They are well-written and coherent. But I disagree greatly on this one.

There is almost no better scenario for the Bills this season to give playing time to their young players and see what they have. The team is rebuilding…not contending. Sure they may surprise but I don't think you make player moves based on that expectation. I think you make roster decisions based on the expectation that you are rebuilding and need to play your young players to develop AND evaluate them.

I think Bell and Meredith need to play. Ditto Troup, Carrington, Calloway, Easley, Batten, Moats, etc. etc. etc. I think Steve Johnson suffered from sitting behind Terrell Owens last year. Fewell started Fitzy because he knew it gave him the best chance to win games and get the head coaching job. But to me, Brohm should have gotten the starts down the stretch…for the good of the organization.

The only valid counter-argument is the "we need to have competent play from this position in order to evaluate the QB, etc" but I disagree. I think the Bills will get adequate enough tackle play and if they have to use the tight ends and backs more in pass protection, so be it. They get to evaluate how well their running backs and tight ends pass block. They get to see if the young tackles have what it takes to become solid starters and if they improve week to week.

While you make a good point, I do think in Bells case it is a moot point (agree with troup and the others though). Bell started most of last season. He was pretty terrible most of last season too. I think its pretty clear he isnt ready to start or compete.

The fact is he has to develop, but most fast are assuming that he will. He has a much higher chance of washing out of the NFL than he does developing into a capable starter. Lasy year was pretty bad for Bell, he showed that he wasnt ready. Meanwhile we havent seen Troup yet, and S. Johnson has shown flashes when gotten the chance. The guys that show promise/havent had any opportunity need to play. The guys like Bell who have dissapointed dont need more chances on gameday, they need more practice.

I wouldnt be suprised in Meredith is the day 1 starter.

There is almost no better scenario for the Bills this season to give playing time to their young players and see what they have. The team is rebuilding…not contending. Sure they may surprise but I don't think you make player moves based on that expectation. I think you make roster decisions based on the expectation that you are rebuilding and need to play your young players to develop AND evaluate them.

I think Bell and Meredith need to play. Ditto Troup, Carrington, Calloway, Easley, Batten, Moats, etc. etc. etc. I think Steve Johnson suffered from sitting behind Terrell Owens last year. Fewell started Fitzy because he knew it gave him the best chance to win games and get the head coaching job. But to me, Brohm should have gotten the starts down the stretch…for the good of the organization.

The only valid counter-argument is the "we need to have competent play from this position in order to evaluate the QB, etc" but I disagree. I think the Bills will get adequate enough tackle play and if they have to use the tight ends and backs more in pass protection, so be it. They get to evaluate how well their running backs and tight ends pass block. They get to see if the young tackles have what it takes to become solid starters and if they improve week to week.

I really agree with this. I don't think it could be much more obvious what our F.O. is thinking right now. As much as I'd like to see us win every game, I'll be happy also to see some of these guys dealing with the adversity of having to make do with what we've got. If they can find any measure of success - especially offensively - without having a dominant O-line, for instance... it'd be nice to see a QB fighting, and yelling at his teammates, and earning yards and first downs... maybe, despite the youth and inexperience, we'll see some fight this year, and expect more of it to come.

What is wrong with you people. Want to trade our good players away for people are are unhappy. I am so tired of the trade Lynch and Whitner BS. They aren't being traded and will probably be starters opening day.

DEAL.

Are you kidding me? I would trade Whitner away for a legit. starting O-lineman every day of the week and

twice on Sunday.

He doesn't seem suited for either safety position.

While you make a good point, I do think in Bells case it is a moot point (agree with troup and the others though). Bell started most of last season. He was pretty terrible most of last season too. I think its pretty clear he isnt ready to start or compete.

The fact is he has to develop, but most fast are assuming that he will. He has a much higher chance of washing out of the NFL than he does developing into a capable starter. Lasy year was pretty bad for Bell, he showed that he wasnt ready. Meanwhile we havent seen Troup yet, and S. Johnson has shown flashes when gotten the chance. The guys that show promise/havent had any opportunity need to play. The guys like Bell who have dissapointed dont need more chances on gameday, they need more practice.

I wouldnt be suprised in Meredith is the day 1 starter.

Last season is last season. There is a chance any player can wash out of the NFL. I have news for you; Bell could have played a lot better last season, but if you go back and watch the games he made some good plays too. So what, his bad plays mean more than his good ones? He needs to play so Nix and co. can find out if he can do the job consistently. If not then they will replace him. There are a few bills in that same boat.

according to PFF, which is the only site i know that evaluates every single play of the year... Diehl graded out as the 63rd best OT last year, with a final score of minus 16.4. that was behind Cornell Green, and Kirk Chambers, and well behind Jamon Meredith. i get the feeling that Diehl's LT days may be over. as the man turns 30 in september, i don't foresee a lot of upside there, either.

he may have played well once, but for the past three years, that no longer seems to have been the case.

~AS

What is wrong with you people. Want to trade our good players away for people are are unhappy. I am so tired of the trade Lynch and Whitner BS. They aren't being traded and will probably be starters opening day.

DEAL.

i tend to agree with the no trading lynch or whitner - but lynch will not be the starter on opening day - whitner possibly a starter

John, I usually agree with your posts. They are well-written and coherent. But I disagree greatly on this one.

I completely agree with your post, i think the only way our Tackles will get better is with playing time, whatever harm was done last year by making them play will no longer hurt them. Now its the to evaluate what we have in this team, because i really don´t trust any evaluation the last coaching staff had.

I completely agree with your post, i think the only way our Tackles will get better is with playing time, whatever harm was done last year by making them play will no longer hurt them. Now its the to evaluate what we have in this team, because i really don´t trust any evaluation the last coaching staff had.

I agree that it's certainly time to evaluate, however O-lines take years to to build and develop, so wouldn't you pick up a

true starter if you could to speed the process? The only issue I would have is the Bills have historically been so brutal at

picking up free agent O-linemen I just can't trust them with the keys to that car.

IMO.

I agree that it's certainly time to evaluate, however O-lines take years to to build and develop, so wouldn't you pick up a

true starter if you could to speed the process? The only issue I would have is the Bills have historically been so brutal at

picking up free agent O-linemen I just can't trust them with the keys to that car.

IMO.

if a 'true starter' is playing then you don't have the guys you're expecting to develop playing. Playing > Not Playing for development.

IMO.

There are variables.

How much would Deihl cost (in terms of trade compensation and salary)?

How well would Deihl play? He's a physically limited player who is (like Matt Light) believed to be on the slight decline.

After you factor in the above, you then project the cost/benefit.

If the guy is not a clear cut, slam dunk improvement over how (you project) the young guys will play, then it's not worth it.

Especially in the context of the rebuilding plan, I just don't see the benefit of trading for a player like Deihl as being worth it.

DEAL.

No Deal. Lynch is incidentally unhappy too and won’t be starting in September unless FJ is injured and Spiller is not ready. But I am in the “don’t give him the satisfaction of a trade” camp. Rather run him into the ground, use him as a small fullback or special teams.

On the Whitner side of the coin, Chans 3-4 will change perspectives on SS strengths and weaknesses vs. Tampa two, because the responsibilities are different. In fact I'd say this goes for the whole team.

Horrible offensive coaching, game planning and offensive coordination completely distorted the perception of each players abilities. So we might have had some poorly coached good linemen.

I too would like to see all the young linemen get a lot of coaching and reps at their position. My concerns at LT now would be the time missed in OTAs that may have helped Bell take that next step. But hey if the bills are going to use the season as an extended practice - I mean rebuilding- then let them go for it. Coach the hell out of these guys and let them get the practice against the big guys in the league.

Hell, I wouldn't care if they took time outs to let the position coaches on the field to grab the new guys facemasks and drag them into the proper position while screaming at them what they should be doing...as long as the result next year is a vastly improved team. Would make interesting commentary for the announcers. Tell me they couldn't get some humorous audio with the parabolic mikes...

If you're gonna rebuild, rebuild. If you play against higher level opponents every day you will get better. If you can't handle getting schooled this is your problem, find a new career. Don't we want players with the 'bring it on' attitude? If they can't handle it cut them and get on with the process. Some people will always be better than you, find a way to win.

Did we quit when the Germans bombed pearl harbor? (Senator Blutarski)

Having a veteran LT start at one of the most critical and challenging positions on the line doesn't mean that you also can't develop the younger players on the line. What is wrong with intermittingly giving these young players playing time and allowing them to grow into the jobs. That is how the Saints did it with the young LT Bushrod getting playing time in intervals. Now he is ready to be a full time starter while also allowing the former starter Jammal Brown to be traded.

Do you think Troup, Carrington, Calloway, Easley are going to be full time starters? They won't be. They will be sharing time with the other more veteran players.

Last year, before getting hurt, Demetrius Bell was the starting LT. He was overmatched and overwhelmed. His side of the line was constantly under seige. Do you think that that LT vulnerability had a measurable impact on the young qbs developing? Don't you think that that vulnerability at the LT position had a negative affect on the backs and receivers being able to make plays.

There comes a point where the team has an obligation to field a competitive team. Last year and the years prior the loyal customers payed a lot of money to watch a horrible product. Isn't it about time this organization gets serious at upgrading the product.

In order for the Bills to be competitive they need to substantially upgrade the OL from last year. They also need depth players. Look what happened last year when some of the line players went down without much credible backup players available to replace the injured starters.

As I stated in other postings the coaching staff is taking a major gamble in not having a backup plan if those same young players who were overmatched last year are again inadequate. The offense and season will be sunk before it barely starts.

A developing team doesn't have to be a non-competitive team. A developing player doesn't haven't to be a starter. He can be a backup who plays enough to learn on the job and play more as he masters his responsibilities.

We're hurtin for a disgruntled LT. It's been over a year.....

lmao

nicely said and agree with you San Jose'

Having a veteran LT start at one of the most critical and challenging positions on the line doesn't mean that you also can't develop the younger players on the line. What is wrong with intermittingly giving these young players playing time and allowing them to grow into the jobs. That is how the Saints did it with the young LT Bushrod getting playing time in intervals. Now he is ready to be a full time starter while also allowing the former starter Jammal Brown to be traded.

Do you think Troup, Carrington, Calloway, Easley are going to be full time starters? They won't be. They will be sharing time with the other more veteran players.

Last year, before getting hurt, Demetrius Bell was the starting LT. He was overmatched and overwhelmed. His side of the line was constantly under seige. Do you think that that LT vulnerability had a measurable impact on the young qbs developing? Don't you think that that vulnerability at the LT position had a negative affect on the backs and receivers being able to make plays.

Bell and Meredith had their baptism by fire last year. They will be better and much more prepared as a result. Ditto with Eric Wood and Andy Levitre.

Troup, Carrington and the other rookies will probably have the luxury of being eased in.

But I think for the sake of developing and making a final assessment of the young veterans Bell and Meredith, that it is best for the club and for the players to play as much as possible.

They will only improve by playing at this point. The added bonus is that by making a commitment to playing them as much as possible, the Bills can definitively evaluate them and make a decision on them before next year's draft.

And as I said also, I'm not convinced that Diehl could be had cheaply enough to actually be worth the cost, considering that he's a slightly above average player who is probably in decline. The Bills would be buying high for a stock that is falling.

I say let's see what the young guys give us.