for you plumbers out there

dib

does anyone know if a flexible pipe exists for under sink connections (drains etc)? I have to make a kind of screwy connection and this would make my life so much easier.

does anyone know if a flexible pipe exists for under sink connections (drains etc)? I have to make a kind of screwy connection and this would make my life so much easier.

I'm not a plumber, but I play one on TV . . . I have a flexible connector for my garbage disposal, so I know they exist. Mine is about a foot long and allows the height difference between the drain and the GD to be about 2 inches . . . Been a while since I installed it, but I think I found it at Home Depot . . . maybe VALU.

Yes. I recently had a sink leak and went to the Depot to buy some copper tube. Dude asked why I was doing that when I could use flex piping. They're flexible tubes that are sheathed in wife mesh. They have matching nuts on either end, simple as pie to install and works great!

Yes. I recently had a sink leak and went to the Depot to buy some copper tube. Dude asked why I was doing that when I could use flex piping. They're flexible tubes that are sheathed in wife mesh. They have matching nuts on either end, simple as pie to install and works great!

:thumbsup:

I had an in- wall pipe from my kitchen sink rot out. Plumbers wanted a lot to fix it. So I slapped stuff to seal the pipe off from vapors, capped off the inlet, and ran the drain via a cobbled-up pvc pipe arrangement. I constructed a pvc pipe manifold with a clean-out plug that fit into the nearby downpipe, which is also a roof vent. I bought an adapter rubber collar to mate the small sink 1 1/2" pipe to 2" pipe...Lowes or Home Depot, I forget. Another to mate the piping from the sink to the manifold. I was fortunate, having the main drainpipe exposed and in reasonable proximity. Sometimes you get lucky. YMMV.

Fernco is your friend:

http://www.fernco.com/

Be sure to use the purple NSF-approved pvc cement - it's what's required for code. Check the label. If you don't and you get inspected, they will tell that you have to rip it out. And be sure to buy those cans of cleaner and primer.

BTW - it you have to make supply water connections and are not comfortable with or able to sweat copper, or space is tight, I do recommend the Sharkbite connectors:

http://www.sharkbite.com/

EDIT: I did successfully hose-clamp up some flexible sump pump hose from the sink 1 1/2 pipe to my manifold before I put in the glued-up hard pvc piping.

I have done it, there is an accordian like waste pipe for kitchens and bath sinks. Any local ahrware store will habe em. Just use the threaded connectors to the rigid pipes already in place. In some cases, you may have to use teflon tape to get a good seal, but I have been using them for 25+ years.

Depends on the code in your burg.

I had a vanity top replaced in my master bath about a year ago and the installer took the shortcut and used a accordion drain connector from the basin to the top of the trap.

A few months back I remodeled the bathroom.

Town plumbing inspector saw the vanity's flex drain and would not pass the bathroom till that got fixed - even though it was replacement work and the bathroom was all new. :thumbsup:

BTW - it you have to make supply water connections and are not comfortable with or able to sweat copper, or space is tight, I do recommend the Sharkbite connectors:

http://www.sharkbite.com/

EDIT: I did successfully hose-clamp up some flexible sump pump hose from the sink 1 1/2 pipe to my manifold before I put in the glued-up hard pvc piping.

I used a sharkbite connector last weekend to repair an outside hose faucet that had broken loose from the original sweated connection (probably original to the house - was very poorly done - not sure why it lasted as long as it did). It worked like a charm.