Maybe Chan is the right coach

Oh, that's right--the league spent a billion more than they would have despite teams not spending to the cap and there being hundreds of millions of dollars of cap money laying around. And all players, wait---not all players got more money as a result of the CBA.

The "new CBA" included a span of time where the owners made more money than over any other such period in the league's history. The poor guys! And their labor costs didn't even cost them the 59.5% they agreed to "give" to the players.

Even if they had given that kind of money, 60% for labor costs in a nonmanufacturing business is par for the course. My employer, the 6th largest in NY State, has a 60% labor cost. It doesn't clear as much as the Bills each year (comes close).

Oh, that's right. It was a great deal for the NFL...until "the situation changed." At which point it became a bad deal.

But wait, they opted-out of it a full year before "the situation changed." And despite them making "more money than any other such period" while paying-out a billion dollars more to players (the numbers don't lie), they're crying poverty. Which is obviously lying on their part. But "the situation changed," so are they?

Turn out the lights on the courthouse steps when you leave, doc.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some coaches are meant to coach to a particular level in the NFL, and fail if they over reach their ability, Bills fans have first hand knowledge of this fact Mularkey-Williams et al.

Every coach when called upon for an interview for a job usually goes in with a plan on exactly how he will build the team into a winning program, Cowher stated he would hire Chan Gailey as his OC.

The fact that Gailey was fired as the Chiefs OC and then spent the year out of football, plus the fact that the Bills are heading into this season with nearly the exact same O line as last season leads me to think this guy isn't meant to be a HC in the NFL again. The sad part is it might take 1-3 years for most of the fans and RW to figure this out.

The red flags are up and flying and not many are noticing them because everyone is so desperate for a winner, plus the fact they have no control and no choice but to go along with who was hired and let him prove himself.

As a Bills fan I really want this guy to turn this team around and get them back into respectability, I just don't see it happening from some of the moves he has made so far. The position coaches he hired, the players drafted, the free agents.

You guys can drink all the Nix-Gailey kool aid you want, I'm going to remain skeptical.

Some coaches are meant to coach to a particular level in the NFL, and fail if they over reach their ability, Bills fans have first hand knowledge of this fact Mularkey-Williams et al.

Every coach when called upon for an interview for a job usually goes in with a plan on exactly how he will build the team into a winning program, Cowher stated he would hire Chan Gailey as his OC.

The fact that Gailey was fired as the Chiefs OC and then spent the year out of football, plus the fact that the Bills are heading into this season with nearly the exact same O line as last season leads me to think this guy isn't meant to be a HC in the NFL again. The sad part is it might take 1-3 years for most of the fans and RW to figure this out.

The red flags are up and flying and not many are noticing them because everyone is so desperate for a winner, plus the fact they have no control and no choice but to go along with who was hired and let him prove himself.

As a Bills fan I really want this guy to turn this team around and get them back into respectability, I just don't see it happening from some of the moves he has made so far. The position coaches he hired, the players drafted, the free agents.

You guys can drink all the Nix-Gailey kool aid you want, I'm going to remain skeptical.

Rabbit, I always seem to agree and enjoy your comments. IMO, you represent a man of logical reasoning.

I can see the flags flying so high and bright red...

With that said, I will not be commenting much anymore. I stand by everything I said but I think it's best for everyone that I keep my big mouth shut...

Rabbit, I always seem to agree and enjoy your comments. IMO, you represent a man of logical reasoning.

With that said, I will not be commenting much anymore. I stand by everything I said but I think it's best for everyone that I keep my big mouth shut...

I now have proof......there IS a GOD!

Oh, that's right. It was a great deal for the NFL...until "the situation changed." At which point it became a bad deal.

But wait, they opted-out of it a full year before "the situation changed." And despite them making "more money than any other such period" while paying-out a billion dollars more to players (the numbers don't lie), they're crying poverty. Which is obviously lying on their part. But "the situation changed," so are they?

Turn out the lights on the courthouse steps when you leave, doc.

Which numbers are those again? Oh the USA Today numbers. What were the cap numbers for 06, 07, 08, 09? And what were the total payrolls for those years of the top spending teams?

The owners announced their opt out in 5/08. Prior to this, in March, Bear Stearns--a wall street cash machine for decades-- was going belly up and ended disappearing--scooped up by JPMC for pennies on the dollar. Within 4 months (9/08), Lehman Brothers, a company in business for 150 years, went bankrupt. The next day, AIG was bailed out.

For those paying attention (say.....billionaire NFL owners with huge debts to service), none of this was surprising news.

Sorry, I'm going to side with the billionaire owners on this one. You can stick with the players. How's that going, by the way?

Which numbers are those again? Oh the USA Today numbers. What were the cap numbers for 06, 07, 08, 09? And what were the total payrolls for those years of the top spending teams?

I gave you the link to the payrolls for ALL teams so that you can tabulate them, chief. Not just some worthless exercise of looking at the "top spending teams," which were still well above what they were previously. Perhaps in some magical world the owners didn't spend any more money, because "they didn't spend to the cap," just like they've never done. But the owners felt they paid out too much, even though they were making more than ever before. Hence they opted-out.

The owners announced their opt out in 5/08. Prior to this, in March, Bear Stearns--a wall street cash machine for decades-- was going belly up and ended disappearing--scooped up by JPMC for pennies on the dollar. Within 4 months (9/08), Lehman Brothers, a company in business for 150 years, went bankrupt. The next day, AIG was bailed out.

For those paying attention (say.....billionaire NFL owners with huge debts to service), none of this was surprising news.

The owners were talking about opting-out of the CBA almost a year before Bear Stearns. And months before the stock market began to tank. And NOT ONCE when they were opting-out did they mention the economy, much less Bear Stearns. For those paying attention.

Sorry, I'm going to side with the billionaire owners on this one. You can stick with the players. How's that going, by the way?

I'm not siding with any side, least of all the players. A better salary cap/revenue sharing situation helps the Bills. I'm just pointing out the facts. Which is why you're having trouble.

Thanks, we seem to be in the minority around here.

The more I watch and listen to Chan Gailey the more I think he might just have a shot to accomplish something here in Buffalo, he seems to be saying all the right things. Its the player moves that I question, or should I say lack of player moves.

The guy did manage to get the Dolphins into the playoffs back in 2000-2001 with QB Jay fiedler and RB Lamar Smith no less, but again he was only the OC.

Gailey was fired as OC of the Chiefs by a new, young HC who wanted to put his stamp on the program. Last year's results show that his stamp was quite lousy. The timing of Gailey's firing was such that it was way too late for another team to bring him in and it would have been way to late for him to set up an offense on a new team. The point is you may disagree that Chan is a good choice for the Bills but to use the KC situation as a knock against him is not fair. And I hope you might agree at least that Gailey represents at least a positive new direction for offense.

Since when does Bill Cowher become an authority on hiring head coaches? Just because he think highly of hime doesn't mean he will be successful in Buffalo or anywhere else. Besides, maybe he is just recommending a friend?

And WHY is Cowher held in such high esteem in the first place?

Gailey was fired as OC of the Chiefs by a new, young HC who wanted to put his stamp on the program. Last year's results show that his stamp was quite lousy. The timing of Gailey's firing was such that it was way too late for another team to bring him in and it would have been way to late for him to set up an offense on a new team. The point is you may disagree that Chan is a good choice for the Bills but to use the KC situation as a knock against him is not fair. And I hope you might agree at least that Gailey represents at least a positive new direction for offense.

Chan Gailey is very capable of being a good NFL head coach. Hopefully this stint in Buffalo will help him get back to the NFL level

Was just stating a fact that leads me to think that the Bills could have hired Gailey as the OC and found a different HC. Like I've stated, I remain skeptical at this point that he will prove to be a HC that can get this team into the playoffs in this division. And yea, he is a huge improvement offensively over anyone the bills have had the last 4 years.