Spiller Contract Negotiations

I'm starting to think about the signing of our top three picks. I was taking a look at who is representing CJ and who else they represent. It seems that CJ is represented by Pro Tect Management and their other clients include Jason Taylor, Antonio Cromartie, Terell Suggs, Dwight Freeney, and Darren Sproles among others. Their website is filled with listings about the record setting contracts that they've inked for their clients. I don't know their history in terms of holdouts, just looking at the numbers that they've put up for their clients

With the coming uncapped year does anyone think that they're gonna milk Ralph for the max that they can get?

Everything that I've seen has pegged CJ as a standup guy but how much control does he have in the negotiation process? I'm starting to get worried that it will take a while with him and they're gonna wait for the slotting to work out. I hope we have him and the rest of our draftees on day one of training camp but GUESSING at the size of the payout that they are looking for I think they'll be waiting for the #8 to get signed. I hope that things are different from last year.

I'm starting to think about the signing of our top three picks. I was taking a look at who is representing CJ and who else they represent. It seems that CJ is represented by Pro Tect Management and their other clients include Jason Taylor, Antonio Cromartie, Terell Suggs, Dwight Freeney, and Darren Sproles among others. Their website is filled with listings about the record setting contracts that they've inked for their clients. I don't know their history in terms of holdouts, just looking at the numbers that they've put up for their clients

With the coming uncapped year does anyone think that they're gonna milk Ralph for the max that they can get?

Everything that I've seen has pegged CJ as a standup guy but how much control does he have in the negotiation process? I'm starting to get worried that it will take a while with him and they're gonna wait for the slotting to work out. I hope we have him and the rest of our draftees on day one of training camp but GUESSING at the size of the payout that they are looking for I think they'll be waiting for the #8 to get signed. I hope that things are different from last year.

I think this FO has more sense than to let their first round pick hold out. Part of it is the player's representation, but I think part of it is also the FO and the stance they take. I get the feeling that Buddy doesn't take **** from anyone and everyone knows it. Anothe rfactor is that, Spiller might eb a great player, but we already have two RBs that can play, so it's not like he has added leverage in the negotiation from that perspective.

Spiller has 100 percent control over the negiotiations. It's his signature at the end of the day. When players hold out people love to blame their representation. It's ulitimately the player's choice to hold out or not. Agents will always try to get more money and will try to get their clients to hold out. Its nothing new.

I don't think Spiller will hold out long if at all.

Spiller has 100 percent control over the negiotiations. It's his signature at the end of the day. When players hold out people love to blame their representation. It's ulitimately the player's choice to hold out or not. Agents will always try to get more money and will try to get their clients to hold out. Its nothing new.

I don't think Spiller will hold out long if at all.

Of course he'll hold out, if the number 8 pick and the number 10 pick don't sign before he does. The Bills never have and never will, as long as Ralph is alive and well, be salary setters. They would never make a good enough offer, in my humble opinion, to either of their top two picks, that would prompt them to sign before the other rookies picked just before or just after them, uncapped year or not.

For Spiller, who cares? He's been learning the offense, and running back is the easiest position to learn as a rookie anyway. But I'm hoping Troup gets in from day one. He should, being a 2nd round pick, but it all depends on the guys drafted right around them, even in the second round. Once you get to the third round, I would be shocked if Carrington isn't in camp on time.

CJ has every control over the negotiation process that he wishes to. His agent after all is someone he hired. CJ can very well find another agent if he wishes to, and his current agent can lose out on any commission. It's just a matter of how much influence CJ wants in the negotiation process. Due to his character, i hope he doesn't let this drag on longer than it really has to.

Of course he'll hold out, if the number 8 pick and the number 10 pick don't sign before he does. The Bills never have and never will, as long as Ralph is alive and well, be salary setters. They would never make a good enough offer, in my humble opinion, to either of their top two picks, that would prompt them to sign before the other rookies picked just before or just after them, uncapped year or not.

For Spiller, who cares? He's been learning the offense, and running back is the easiest position to learn as a rookie anyway. But I'm hoping Troup gets in from day one. He should, being a 2nd round pick, but it all depends on the guys drafted right around them, even in the second round. Once you get to the third round, I would be shocked if Carrington isn't in camp on time.

Interesting... U made me realize that we can last a game or two longer without CJ than we can without Troupe. Troupe is an anchor, we need him to plug up the middle badly. Him and Kyle. Spiller better not hold out, but if he does we still have Jackson and perhaps Marshawn also, to run the ball. Bell too if need be. But we really need Troupe. Kyle can't go the whole game alone.

+1

I think this FO has more sense than to let their first round pick hold out. Part of it is the player's representation, but I think part of it is also the FO and the stance they take. I get the feeling that Buddy doesn't take **** from anyone and everyone knows it. Anothe rfactor is that, Spiller might eb a great player, but we already have two RBs that can play, so it's not like he has added leverage in the negotiation from that perspective.

how can you say with a straight face that this this FO has more sense than to let their first round pick hold out?

It happens every year and

the guys doing the contracts (Overdorf)and the COO (Brandon)are still the same clowns that did not feel any urgency to get their top picks in camp on time at any time on their watch. 

In fact, some of the waiting is by design to let everyone else sign around their pick to squeeze every last dollar out of the deal. Money has always taken priority over getting the top picks in camp on time.

how can you say with a straight face that this this FO has more sense than to let their first round pick hold out?

It happens every year and

the guys doing the contracts (Overdorf)and the COO (Brandon)are still the same clowns that did not feel any urgency to get their top picks in camp on time at any time on their watch. 

In fact, some of the waiting is by design to let everyone else sign around their pick to squeeze every last dollar out of the deal. Money has always taken priority over getting the top picks in camp on time.

You know, you're mostly right on this Spartacus. But the Bills pay fair market value and seldom have long holdouts. Many teams have years where the first rounder misses the first few days of camp and it's not an issue and almost never leads to long lasting acrimony. It's simply part of the process.

When a player has participated in nearly 20 combined OTAs and Minicamp sessions, missing 3-4 days at the opening of Training Camp isn't a big deal. I have no problem with the Bills letting others set the market. It's a mechanism that helps to prevent them from overpaying.

As for last year, Maybin came in late and had a sucky season. But honestly, does anyone think Maybin would have made significant contributions last year under the very best of circumstances?

IIRC, there is still a cap for the rookie pool this year.

You know, you're mostly right on this Spartacus. But the Bills pay fair market value and seldom have long holdouts. Many teams have years where the first rounder misses the first few days of camp and it's not an issue and almost never leads to long lasting acrimony. It's simply part of the process.

When a player has participated in nearly 20 combined OTAs and Minicamp sessions, missing 3-4 days at the opening of Training Camp isn't a big deal. I have no problem with the Bills letting others set the market. It's a mechanism that helps to prevent them from overpaying.

As for last year, Maybin came in late and had a sucky season. But honestly, does anyone think Maybin would have made significant contributions last year under the very best of circumstances?

No. Maybin is just a very sucky player.

Didn't they sign Bruce Smith before the draft?

Didn't they sign Bruce Smith before the draft?

Yes... and they signed Jim Kelly to the richest contract in NFL history at the time...

But such facts will not get in the way of the knee-jerk, idiotic, Ralph bashing, especially from people whose historical sense stretches all the way back to last season.

Yes... and they signed Jim Kelly to the richest contract in NFL history at the time...

But such facts will not get in the way of the knee-jerk, idiotic, Ralph bashing, especially from people whose historical sense stretches all the way back to last season.

My historical sense of the Bills goes back to the late 60's, but I never knew, or completely forgot, that they signed Bruce before the draft. Not bad, one number one pick out of only 50 drafts in their history. Boy, I should stop over-reacting, right?

And allow me to use one of your adjectives to describe your point about Jimbo: idiotic. How "heroic" of Wilson to get off his butt and listen to Bill Polian when the USFL folded and Kelly had zero options left but to sign with Buffalo. Don't worry, if not for Polians' desire to turn the Bills around into a winner and to use Jim Kelly as his foundation, I will never believe anyone else could have convinced Wilson to sign Kelly for that kind of money in 1986. And why am I convinced of that? Because before Polian was GM, THREE FREAKIN' YEARS EARLIER, when Wilson drafted Jimbo, he allowed him to take the USFL money and run, wasting 3 valuable years of his and the Bills' development. :thumbsup:

So allow me to correct my post. EXCEPT for the years Bill Polian was GM, December 1985 through 1993, Wilson's Bills have never been salary setters, EXCEPT for when they signed Bruce Smith before they drafted him in April of 1985.

My historical sense of the Bills goes back to the late 60's, but I never knew, or completely forgot, that they signed Bruce before the draft. Not bad, one number one pick out of only 50 drafts in their history. Boy, I should stop over-reacting, right?

And allow me to use one of your adjectives to describe your point about Jimbo: idiotic. How "heroic" of Wilson to get off his butt and listen to Bill Polian when the USFL folded and Kelly had zero options left but to sign with Buffalo. Don't worry, if not for Polians' desire to turn the Bills around into a winner and to use Jim Kelly as his foundation, I will never believe anyone else could have convinced Wilson to sign Kelly for that kind of money in 1986. And why am I convinced of that? Because before Polian was GM, THREE FREAKIN' YEARS EARLIER, when Wilson drafted Jimbo, he allowed him to take the USFL money and run, wasting 3 valuable years of his and the Bills' development. :thumbsup:

So allow me to correct my post. EXCEPT for the years Bill Polian was GM, December 1985 through 1993, Wilson's Bills have never been salary setters, EXCEPT for when they signed Bruce Smith before they drafted him in April of 1985.

See, that wasn't too difficult, was it?