How Would You Feel If a Bill Pulled a Steve Smith ... Breaking his Arm

one of the posters here lives in Florida and plays flag football with Anquan Boldin and a few other big time NFL players. He said they go easy against most everyone, but go all out when they play against each other. I think the poster was Dazed and Confused. I cannot imagine trying to cover Steve Smith. It is my opinion that the toughest thing to do in sports is cover a top WR one on one

I think pulling an 18-wheeler with your teeth is up there, too.

one of the posters here lives in Florida and plays flag football with Anquan Boldin and a few other big time NFL players. He said they go easy against most everyone, but go all out when they play against each other. I think the poster was Dazed and Confused. I cannot imagine trying to cover Steve Smith. It is my opinion that the toughest thing to do in sports is cover a top WR one on one

I dont think this was steve's approach -- word has it after losing the first game, he pressured teammates into joining the league.

It's not really stupid, unless you play with unnecessary recklessness. I mean, flag football isn't meant to be a contact sport, so how is it any different from other cross-training activities like running, lifting or basketball that players are encouraged to do in the offseason?

This isn't like Ben R. riding a motorcycle with no helmet ... that was stupid. We can't expect players to sit in a padded cell, wrapped in bubble wrap all off-season, in order to avoid getting hurt. If a player does something where getting hurt was probable, I'd be upset. But Steve Smith did nothing wrong. Just bad luck.

Steve Smith is an athlete- and athletes play sports during the offseason. I would rather a Bill played basketball, flag football, softball, etc in the offseason then be sedentary or be running over pedestrians stealing $20 bills. That's just me. People that want perfect safety don't have the balls to live in the real world- Sally Ride

I think the biggest thing in this story is that Smith broke the terms of his contract. In his contract it states during the offseason he is banned from participating in any other activity not relating to the Carolina Panthers.

Will he get fined? Maybe not, but it would not be shocking if he did.

I think the biggest thing in this story is that Smith broke the terms of his contract. In his contract it states during the offseason he is banned from participating in any other activity nor relating to the Carolina Panthers.

Will he get fined? Maybe not, but it would not be shocking if he did.

Plus, he lied about it.

Could you imagine lining up to cover a WR in flag football after a long day at the office and seeing Steve Smith across the LOS?

We're talking 20-30 yard cushion right?

Is that so he doesn't break your nose/cheek when he tries to punch you in the face, or is it only his own teammates that have to worry about that? :unsure:

Personally, I don't care if players hurt themselves tripping over their dogs or break their necks base-jumping, it's their life. The circumstances are immaterial. If they violate their contract by hurting themselves, they don't get paid and/or they get fined, it's their risk. As a fan, it sucks if it's an important player, but whatever. I think I'd tend to ignore it if my boss told me I couldn't play a pick-up game with the boys during my free time, too. If I happened to do it and messed myself up to the point I couldn't perform my job, then it's a risk I took. Accidents happen. Now if you'll excuse me, it's off the soapbox and back to the bubble wrapped cocoon of safety.