Louisiana Lawmakers Propose Day Of Prayer

:thumbsup: Pandering to the conservative Christian base should help it stop. :)

Link

(CNN) -- While cleanup crews and technical teams continue efforts to stop crude gushing into the Gulf of Mexico, Louisiana lawmakers are proposing a different approach: prayer.

State senators designated Sunday as a day for citizens to ask for God's help dealing with the oil disaster.

"Thus far efforts made by mortals to try to solve the crisis have been to no avail," state Sen. Robert Adley said in a statement released after last week's unanimous vote for the day of prayer. "It is clearly time for a miracle for us."

The resolution names Sunday as a statewide day of prayer in Louisiana and calls on people of all religions throughout the Gulf Coast "to pray for an end to this environmental emergency, sparing us all from the destruction of both culture and livelihood."

It's too bad they couldn't have suggested that Saturday be the day of prayer. Then Jewish peoples could have helped out too. :w00t:

Do they really think that there hasn't been a lot of prayer for them already? I got a better idea. How about a little more government oversight on these things and prayers won't be as necessary.

There's an old Harry Chapin song called "30,000 Pounds of Bananas" which tells the story of a truck driver, hauling a cargo of bananas down a long road that leads into Scranton, PA, who realizes his brakes fail and he has lost control of his rig.

As the lyrics go:

His foot nudged the brakes to slow him down.

But the pedal floored easy without a sound.

He said "Christ!"

It was funny how he had named the only man who could save him now.

Since no one seems capable of taking charge to ensure the oil doesn't hit land, it's not surprising they would name the only person who could save them now.

Glad you get a chuckle out of it, though. Here's hoping you are never in need of anyone's prayers.

There's an old Harry Chapin song called "30,000 Pounds of Bananas" which tells the story of a truck driver, hauling a cargo of bananas down a long road that leads into Scranton, PA, who realizes his brakes fail and he has lost control of his rig.

As the lyrics go:

Since no one seems capable of taking charge to ensure the oil doesn't hit land, it's not surprising they would name the only person who could save them now.

Glad you get a chuckle out of it, though. Here's hoping you are never in need of anyone's prayers.

That's a great Chapin song. :thumbsup:

They don't want prayers. They want "Christian" prayers. Why not just ask for people to pray for an end instead of call for a "Sunday day of prayer"?

God has saved my life so many times I've lost count. I think he keeps me alive to make sure that the people who think he's a tool for only certain people are kept informed of their idiocy. JMO If I were a liberal Jerry Falwell or Pat Robertson I'd blame the oil spill on God's hatred of the Republican Governor of Louisiana. :lol:

BTW, does God save the truck from wiping out?

Here's another radical right-winger calling for "prayer" :lol:

Shocking that a simpleton like Steely Dope would try to politicize something so innocuous.

You do understand the difference between making a Sunday a day of prayer and asking people to pray, right? I'm positive you don't. If you have read my posts you'd see the difference I'm pointing out. If Jindal had come out on Friday and said he hopes that everyone remembers the gulf states in their prayers I'd have no problem with it.

This is an obvious pander to the religious right.

Who gives a crap? Say a prayer and resist the desire to judge something this nominal.

Religion and politics should be separate as much as possible. I have little problem when religion is discussed in generic terms in politics. (I.E. references to God and not Jesus)

This is not nominal. This is implying that the Christian God is more powerful than any other (BTW, Muslims, Jews and Christians pray to the same God.) I'd much prefer that all references to religion be left out of politics altogether, but I know it's better to choose battles.

This is not nominal. This is implying that the Christian God is more powerful than any other

The resolution names Sunday as a statewide day of prayer in Louisiana and calls on people of all religions throughout the Gulf Coast "to pray for an end to this environmental emergency, sparing us all from the destruction of both culture and livelihood."

:lol:

Prayer:

"Dear God in Heaven, we have an unprecedented disastrous oil leak nearby in the Gulf of Mexico. The oil continues to flow, the clean up of the oil is nearly non-existent but worse of all we have a DITHERER in the White House who's making thing worse. Please, God, send us a LEADER."

:thumbsup:

fail.

Jews and Christians do pray to the same God, albeit differently. Muslims do NOT and I reapeat do NOT pray to Yahweh.

I know you'll hate this link but here are the facts.

*sigh* They do all pray to the same God it's just a matter of believing who were the most wise prophets. Jews and Muslims don't believe Jesus was divine. They do pray to the same God.

Link

There are several approaches one could take to answering such a question. The first is very simple. Christians accept the Jewish prophets as having received revelations from God, so obviously Christians believe in the Jewish God. Muslims accept the Jewish prophets and Jesus as having received revelations from God, so obviously Muslims believe in the Judeo-Christian God.

So it looks like you fail.

It would make it easier to demonize them if they did worship another God wouldn't it?

*sigh* They do all pray to the same God it's just a matter of believing who were the most wise prophets. Jews and Muslims don't believe Jesus was divine. They do pray to the same God.

Link

There are several approaches one could take to answering such a question. The first is very simple. Christians accept the Jewish prophets as having received revelations from God, so obviously Christians believe in the Jewish God. Muslims accept the Jewish prophets and Jesus as having received revelations from God, so obviously Muslims believe in the Judeo-Christian God.

So it looks like you fail.

It would make it easier to demonize them if they did worship another God wouldn't it?

You link to a bahai site? The whole tenet of bahai is that all humankind has spiritual unity. OF COURSE their belief is going to be that all three worship the same God. Bahai information. Epic fail on your behalf for not understanding that a unitarian-type religion would believe in equivalency and sameness. No Orthodox Jew or Fundamentalist Christian or even a Fundamentalist Muslim would agree with you. Muslims deny the possibility of the triune Godhead which completely makes irrelevant the idea of Christianity in their mind. To them, Jesus was a prophet rather than the Son of God.

Bzzt.

You link to a bahai site? The whole tenet of bahai is that all humankind has spiritual unity. OF COURSE their belief is going to be that all three worship the same God. Bahai information. Epic fail on your behalf for not understanding that a unitarian-type religion would believe in equivalency and sameness. No Orthodox Jew or Fundamentalist Christian or even a Fundamentalist Muslim would agree with you. Muslims deny the possibility of the triune Godhead which completely makes irrelevant the idea of Christianity in their mind. To them, Jesus was a prophet rather than the Son of God.

Bzzt.

Can any of those groups prove the other wrong, without being proven certifiably insane, themselves?

Why does belief equal insanity?

It doesn't have to- it shouldn't. But some people feel that anyone with different beliefs are evil. I have seen the mistreatment of both muslims and christians for their beliefs- and it was mistreatment of people that have done nothing wrong.

Isn't this job more suitable for the Flying Spaghetti Monster? He has the long appendages to reach the bottom, and since they're noodly, each can expand enough from the gulf water to fill the hole.

Don't be a meatball :thumbsup: