Van Miller

I hope his golf tournament got plenty of support. I remember meeting him when I was about twelve years old at a UB football game. This was way back when and they played at the old field with the hill on one side. My grandfather's friend ("Lefty" Helms from Clarence, I think or maybe Jack Hesslink) received some local award and we got a lunch and game gratis.

Hank Bullough was still coach of our Bills at the time. I remember Van was sitting behind us at the game and I was loudly complaining about the restrictions placed on Kelly in the offense, hoping he would say something. He finally looked down, smiled and said, "My money is on Jim being around a lot longer than Mr. Bullough."

The guy is a class act and I wish him the best.

I hope his golf tournament got plenty of support. I remember meeting him when I was about twelve years old at a UB football game. This was way back when and they played at the old field with the hill on one side. My grandfather's friend ("Lefty" Helms from Clarence, I think or maybe Jack Hesslink) received some local award and we got a lunch and game gratis.

Hank Bullough was still coach of our Bills at the time. I remember Van was sitting behind us at the game and I was loudly complaining about the restrictions placed on Kelly in the offense, hoping he would say something. He finally looked down, smiled and said, "My money is on Jim being around a lot longer than Mr. Bullough."

The guy is a class act and I wish him the best.

In the 1986 media guide, Bill Polian's 1st year as GM, while Bullough was still head coach this is what it said in a paragraph in Polian's biography "Polian joined the Bills in August of 1984 after working for one year as player personnel director of the USFL Chicago Blitz. In Chicago, Polian was associated with head coach Marv Levy, with whom he had previously worked in both Montreal of the Canadian League, as a U.S. scout during the 1976-77 seasons, and Kansas City, as a pro scout from 1978-82."

Anyone with a 1986 media guide could have told you in preseason that Marv would soon be the coach unless Bullough worked a miracle.

I loved his excitement calling a game. One of my favorite calls of his was the 51-3 absolute thrashing of da Raiders in the AFC Championship game. It was electric.

Like many on this board, I was at that game. Possibly "THE" sports highlight of my life. We listened to replays of Van Miller all the way back to Caledonia...or wherever the hell it was we were heading that evening. Apologies, but after wandering around on the the field in the melee following the game, things were...well, "blurry". Someday, kids. Someday...

In the 1986 media guide, Bill Polian's 1st year as GM, while Bullough was still head coach this is what it said in a paragraph in Polian's biography "Polian joined the Bills in August of 1984 after working for one year as player personnel director of the USFL Chicago Blitz. In Chicago, Polian was associated with head coach Marv Levy, with whom he had previously worked in both Montreal of the Canadian League, as a U.S. scout during the 1976-77 seasons, and Kansas City, as a pro scout from 1978-82."

Anyone with a 1986 media guide could have told you in preseason that Marv would soon be the coach unless Bullough worked a miracle.

But that wasn't the point of the post, was it?

But Polian is God and Levey blows (according to many on The Wall) how could they possibly be associated before the Bills. :lol:

Like many on this board, I was at that game. Possibly "THE" sports highlight of my life. We listened to replays of Van Miller all the way back to Caledonia...or wherever the hell it was we were heading that evening. Apologies, but after wandering around on the the field in the melee following the game, things were...well, "blurry". Someday, kids. Someday...

What a game that was to see in person. I flew in from SF to catch the game with The Senator. Some tell me the weather was bad. but I don't remember being cold for even one minute.

But that wasn't the point of the post, was it?

Let's see. Kelly good, Hank Bullough bad. Van knew it. (Bills kick Raider ass.) Sure that's the point of the post. :thumbsup: