We now have 5 tight ends, who stays / who goes & why??

Nelson, Matthews, Schouman, Jonathan Stupar and Joe Klopfenstein. Who is staying / who is going and why??

Interesting.

I think they might keep 3 or 4.

I would say Nelson for sure. Matthews just had a write up in the Buffalo News. If Gailey values his blocking like the article states, then I guess he stays. Schouman has been a surprise to me since he arrived. He's a little out of the typical TE mold (seems short & squatty), but if he can stay healthy he might make a difference as a capable #3 or H-back.

Stupar is an underdog too, but the guy looked like he sure can play last preseason. I would not rule him out, but if the above three produce, Stupar might be out for a numbers game. Klopfenstein has the size, but I don't know if he has any ability.

We need a tight end who can block. I dont know who we will keep. I was impressed with Stupar in preseason, but in the games he didnt seem like he quite knew what to do, which is understandable, considering he wasnt on the gameday roster most of the year. The best blocking tight end we have had here lately is Gaines.

We should have kept Peters at tight end.

This is a serious question. Does Gailey even intead to use a TE much? He was around when the Chiefs let Gonzales go. Was he with the Cowboys when Novacek was there? I don't recall the Steelers using the TE much when Kordell was the QB.

I think the only way they keep 3 TE's is if they don't keep a FB on the roster.

Let's hope Nelson continues to develop. The others are barely NFL quality players most of which would not even be training camp fodder for quality teams.

I am hoping for three WR sets and a big year from Roscoe.

The rules are:

1) No one on the Bills is an NFL starter, even our starters.

2) Any player cut from another team is better than anyone we presently have on our roster.

3) You don't talk about Fight Club.

PTR

:)

The rules are:

2) Any player cut from another team is better than anyone we presently have on our roster.

PTR

Gosh this puts our TE's into perspective. +1

Hopefully Nelson shows us something worth talking about this season.

We need a tight end who can block. I dont know who we will keep. I was impressed with Stupar in preseason, but in the games he didnt seem like he quite knew what to do, which is understandable, considering he wasnt on the gameday roster most of the year. The best blocking tight end we have had here lately is Gaines.

We should have kept Peters at tight end.

If we keep 3 i think it'll be Nelson, Mathews and Stupar. Mathews is a known quantity by Gailey. Plus he still might have upside. Nelson and Stupar definitely have potential upside. Shouman unfortunately can't progress too much further.

The rules are:

PTR

Promo - RIGHT ON!

You forgot to state the obvious that unless Madden rates a player highly they will definitely fall on their face during the season (And, no member of the Buffalo Bills is ever rated high enough to meet the well established standards of some on this board who while claiming to be a Bills' fan also point out that not a single member if the team (rookie or established player) has any place in the NFL.

To answer the question, Nelson will be here and if healthy has the potential to be above average (he surprisingly dropped to the 4th round after some said he might be a 2nd round pick plus we forget he was a rookie in the 'Play to Not Lose' offense of Coach Dick. Matthews is not going anywhere because he is a proven blocker who fits our new run to win offense and he played for Coach Chan in college.

I think we keep just one more and it should be an interesting battle. :)

Why is it whenever someone posts that they think a Bills Player belongs in the NFL, someone has to chime in with a post (or series of posts) like these?

Why does a fan have to be in "Self-Denial" to believe that a Bills Player is actually good enough to be in the NFL?

I understand why Mr. Wonderful makes such comments, he's nothing but a TROLL visiting from patsfan.cheat and laughing about his comments here on his home board. But why do you have to encourage such behaviour, JR?

Hehe; if no one feeds the trolls, there would be no fun around here. :)

Seriously though, you must admit that the TE position has been seriously neglected for the last decade or so. Our best TE has been Jay Riemersma, after all.

Seriously though, you must admit that the TE position has been seriously neglected for the last decade or so. Our best TE has been Jay Riemersma, after all.

We could have 12 Te's, if the coaches never knew how to use them it wouldn't matter. If they can block & can help the line, they can't hurt.

schouman can play FB keep him

Shouman is one tough hombre. If he can do more than what McIntyre can then i say keep him. It just blows that we have only so many spots available for players. I think he has a great attitude and goes all out which i want in a player. Not sure tho that Gailey will keep him.

Nelson, Matthews, Schouman, Jonathan Stupar and Joe Klopfenstein. Who is staying / who is going and why??

Does it really matter? I'd be happy if Chan kept all 5, and any two made it all 16 games without getting injured, and won the "battle" by default. Obviously Nelson is our potential pass catching "threat", but overall even with him in the mix, this group sucks IMO, per NFL standards.

Nelson, IMO has a chance to be far better than Riemersma. He could be in the McKellar (pre injury) category. Mathews is a third tackle type TE (ya think we might have a use for a blocking TE?) who can catch the ball and punish tacklers. And Schouman was on his way to establishing himself as Trent's favorite mid range target before his injury last year.

So while I agree that the TE position has been neglected in the past, I think this crop, with proper coaching and utilization, could change that.

No Self-Denial involved, unless you consider denying the "The Bills Suck and will always Suck" mentality to be self denial.

This is a serious question. Does Gailey even intead to use a TE much? He was around when the Chiefs let Gonzales go. Was he with the Cowboys when Novacek was there? I don't recall the Steelers using the TE much when Kordell was the QB.

I think the only way they keep 3 TE's is if they don't keep a FB on the roster.

Let's hope Nelson continues to develop. The others are barely NFL quality players most of which would not even be training camp fodder for quality teams.

I am hoping for three WR sets and a big year from Roscoe.

Gonzales had a lot of receptions that year. He was let go because the team was rebuilding and Novaceck was on the Boys wtill making a lot of receptions for the team.

Sad but true, despite the self-denial from other posters in this thread.

Nelson is still raw, but is our best, and likely would be a #2 or #3 on most teams.

The other guys have practice-squad talent.

You agree with a Pats Fan. I think that says something about your opinion.

Gonzales had a lot of receptions that year. He was let go because the team was rebuilding and Novaceck was on the Boys wtill making a lot of receptions for the team.

Didn't David LaFleur have like 40+ catches for the Girls one of the years Gailey coached the Girls? And he sucked............a lot.