where was the tazer?

Possibly. But IMO, this girl just has a bad attitude and is not going to respect a cop no matter what. That is what escalated things from a jaywalking ticket to the arrestable charges.

Granted, the cop isn't intimidating. He isn't any taller than the girl. But what can you do about that? Require cops to be a certain height to be hired?

Let me ask you this: Do you think that officer is getting a good review for this arrest? Do you think his superiors are privately telling him he did everything he could do to avoid this situation? Do you think dancing around with a 17-year old girl, while others watch and jeer, is the best way to handle a situation like this?

I don't think height is the real issue here.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Possibly. But IMO, this girl just has a bad attitude and is not going to respect a cop no matter what. That is what escalated things from a jaywalking ticket to the arrestable charges.

Granted, the cop isn't intimidating. He isn't any taller than the girl. But what can you do about that? Require cops to be a certain height to be hired?

she was the cause for the escalation, sure. but it's the cop's responsibility to squash that escalation. i know they walk a fine line of damned if they do, damned if they dont. but if he was really serious about arresting the girl, he needed to get her wrists tied up and in cuffs quicker than playing around, slap fighting with these women.

it didnt look like he wanted to commit to the arrest, and that the females caught him off guard with the level of their resisting.

not saying he needs to be fired. but some more training, or re-training is definitely in order.

she was the cause for the escalation, sure. but it's the cop's responsibility to squash that escalation. i know they walk a fine line of damned if they do, damned if they dont. but if he was really serious about arresting the girl, he needed to get her wrists tied up and in cuffs quicker than playing around, slap fighting with these women.

it didnt look like he wanted to commit to the arrest, and that the females caught him off guard with the level of their resisting.

not saying he needs to be fired. but some more training, or re-training is definitely in order.

Maybe, just maybe, after being grabed, pushed, circled and screamed at by all those other folks made him a little nervous about his saftey.

Maybe, just maybe, after being grabed, pushed, circled and screamed at by all those other folks made him a little nervous about his saftey.

agree completely, and all the more reason to get the situation under control instead of playing grab-ass. im not saying that I would have or could have handled it better. but i know a number of cops who could.

edit: i am in no way criticizing the punch. it was definitely warranted. i, like dean, question his actions before it got that far.

And he definitely sent a clear message that they should not mess with him.

Here's a question for everyone. Even if you thought the punch was a bit much, isn't there part of you that absolutely loved seeing it happen? I know I enjoyed it quite a bit. That girl got what she deserved.

Certainly. Once it got to that point, I have no issue with the punch. I question how it was handled before, and after that punch.

For the record, there is WAY more to this video. You guys aren't seeing the whole thing... there's also more to the "jaywalking" reports.

It's kind of tough to find now thanks to this event, but if you google jaywalking and Seattle you'll find a lot of stories that mention how Seattle has been ticketing a lot of people lately. Some articles on this story even mention that stopping pedestrians for jaywalking in Seattle leads to quite a few scenes. So there probably isn't more to this jaywalking report. He stopped them for jaywalking and they responded poorly.

EXTREME LANGUAGE / NSFW

http://www.q13fox.com/videobeta/?watchId=8...bf-f663f62ab2e8

this full length version shows the cops position in regards to crowd reaction. He's alone for well over 5 minutes.

Also, these two beautiful young women have lengthy criminal records, including assaulting an officer, as well as several other felonies.

Also, in regards to the jaywalking thing, this particular area of Downtown Seattle has been a growing concern for jaywalking. It was a focal point of the city's to ensure this law was being upheld. This officer waved a group of people over and began handing out citations, he didn't single these two out.

It wasn't like he was strolling through, saw some jaywalkers, and decided to take his bad day out on them.

Can they arrest the guy with the camera too for being an idiot? All that video does is prove that those girls are scum. His highly detailed commentary doesn't suddenly make their actions justified.

And Sharpton can show up on tv all he wants, but the only racism present in that video isn't anti-black.

Can they arrest the guy with the camera too for being an idiot? All that video does is prove that those girls are scum. His highly detailed commentary doesn't suddenly make their actions justified.

And Sharpton can show up on tv all he wants, but the only racism present in that video isn't anti-black.

Exactly. But don't tell that to any of those pulling the race card out. A white guy was getting into it with black girls, so therefore it's racist. As sad as it is, that is what our society has become.

I have to say that I am very surprised at the comments in this thread. I expected at least one or two of the usual suspects to claim police brutality.

What other options could the cop have used to defuse this situation? Would pepperspraying them have been better?

That cop had every right in the world to punch someone who was putting him in a compromised position; threatening him - be it girl, man, dog, black, white, or purple. But if a police officer cannot easily restrain a teenage girl, he needs to be put on paid leave until he can get into better shape. I'm not kidding. What good is he if he is truly that weak?

EXTREME LANGUAGE / NSFW

http://www.q13fox.com/videobeta/?watchId=8...bf-f663f62ab2e8

this full length version shows the cops position in regards to crowd reaction. He's alone for well over 5 minutes.

Also, these two beautiful young women have lengthy criminal records, including assaulting an officer, as well as several other felonies.

Also, in regards to the jaywalking thing, this particular area of Downtown Seattle has been a growing concern for jaywalking. It was a focal point of the city's to ensure this law was being upheld. This officer waved a group of people over and began handing out citations, he didn't single these two out.

It wasn't like he was strolling through, saw some jaywalkers, and decided to take his bad day out on them.

I'm sorry. I thought you we're headed in the complete opposite direction when you wrote: "For the record, there is WAY more to this video" and then put "jaywalking" in quotes. I thought you were headed down the trumped-up charges road.

I apologize.

That cop had every right in the world to punch someone who was putting him in a compromised position; threatening him - be it girl, man, dog, black, white, or purple. But if a police officer cannot easily restrain a teenage girl, he needs to be put on paid leave until he can get into better shape. I'm not kidding. What good is he if he is truly that weak?

ok, I'm not singling you out here, cause others have echoed this statement, but for those who are criticizing this guy for not restraining this girl, I would love to see you try to handcuff a pissed of black chick against her will, you may find it is not as easy as you would expect, or anybody for that matter.

IMO he should've peppersprayed the girl in pink as soon as she touched him.

ok, I'm not singling you out here, cause others have echoed this statement, but for those who are criticizing this guy for not restraining this girl, I would love to see you try to handcuff a pissed of black chick against her will, you may find it is not as easy as you would expect, or anybody for that matter.

And it's worth mentioning that it's two pissed off girls, not one.

even though ive criticized him, ive already said that i probably couldnt do it. HOWEVER, he is the trained professional. this is what he has supposedly been trained for. these exact situations. this is a major part of his job. the "it's not easy" excuse really cant come into play. we KNOW it's not easy, that's why we afford them special privileges like carrying a gun/tazer/pepperspray/baton.