College Conference Shake Ups

Just listened to the guy from Orangebloods.

He says the Big 12 will stay at 10 teams. A network has guaranteed the 10 schools more than the conference would get if they had a title game. Texas, OU and A&M get a bigger piece of the pie.

He nixed a report of BYU and The Air Force Academy bringing the conference back to 12 teams. Fewer teams=more money for each.

The network (said he was sworn to secrecy about which...guess FOX) saw armageddon if super conferences became a reality so they stepped in and upped their offer by a substantial amount...more than double.

Utah will reportedly make the Pac 10 the Pac 12.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No. NCAA requires 12 teams for a cc.

I know that, i wasn't sure if there had to be an NCAA ruling or something, because you dont often see BCS conferences lose teams. There's a lot of advertisement dollars up in the air (Dr Pepper i think) for the Big XII-II championship.

No special exception. The Big 12 thinks it'll get more money over all by only dividing the prize between 10 schools instead of 12, even with the money the champ game brings in.

Also, when the Big 12 first instituted the conf champ, every single big 12 coach voted against it. I know both Mack & Stoops hate it. So, I doubt it's coming back anytime soon.

Texas' fans did.

Texas is still one of the highest paid institutions if not the highest. All games will still be closer to home. How are the fans getting hosed?

I was hoping A&M would join the SEC rather than the Pac 10 if the Big 12 dissolved simply because of the travel distance and the possiblility of having 10PM games in the Pac 10.

Texas is still one of the highest paid institutions if not the highest. All games will still be closer to home. How are the fans getting hosed?

I was hoping A&M would join the SEC rather than the Pac 10 if the Big 12 dissolved simply because of the travel distance and the possiblility of having 10PM games in the Pac 10.

Because I don't want to be playing the ****ty big 12 north opponents every single year (and judging from hornfans, most agree)

Because I don't want to be playing the ****ty big 12 north opponents every single year (and judging from hornfans, most agree)

What's the plan Blue...would there be 9 conference games/year or will they rotate through playing some teams 1 year others the next?

I can't remember...do they get 12 games /year?

What's the plan Blue...would there be 9 conference games/year or will they rotate through playing some teams 1 year others the next?

Big Ten skipped one team and played eight conference games. 12 games a year, 8 conference, four OOC. The Big 12 lite might follow that same plan.

Current plan is for everyone to play 13 games/year. 9 conf games & 4 OOC. In conferences with conf champs, it's usually 13 games if you play the champ game, so that's why they're doing this.

Chip Brown from OrangeBloods was on the radio today, and said that in order to get the TV deal done, all the B12 schools had to agree to beef up their OOC schedule. We'll see what happens there.

Big Ten skipped one team and played eight conference games. 12 games a year, 8 conference, four OOC. The Big 12 lite might follow that same plan.

Thanks. Question for you...don't be offended...

Why does A&M get a bigger piece of the TV pie along with Texas and OU? Do they generate that much revenue for the conference? Their teams have been down for a few years so I was surprised by that.

Possibly a 'gift' to keep them from going to the SEC?

It's because they were the other player in this that had options. The only 3 teams that really had invites from other places were UT, OU, and A&M. The rest were just hoping to keep the big 12 together so they didn't get left out in the cold.

After all the dust settles, what's gonna happen with the names of these conferences?

Sorry, Colin Cowherd I am not, so I'm not just gonna go along with the big money super BCS conferences just because they tell me its important and best for the "level of play."

I really think that a "Big 10" with 12 teams and a Big XII with 10 teams might possibly be one of the stupidest things in sports. It won't make any sense. Also, Colorado's closest road game will be Arizona State. Last I checked Colorado is land locked, nowhere near the Pacific Ocean. It just doesn't make any sense.

I get that the "Big 10" is a brand (read-Michigan and Ohio State). But you're gonna run into problems with unchanging the name when you're building the conference. It really should be the "Big 11" as it is already.

I'm a UB student, so I'm a UB fan, by extension a MAC fan. The MAC is actually very solvent and competitive. I can live with crappy defense and "mid major" talent. At least the games are high scoring and entertaining.

After all the dust settles, what's gonna happen with the names of these conferences?

Sorry, Colin Cowherd I am not, so I'm not just gonna go along with the big money super BCS conferences just because they tell me its important and best for the "level of play."

I really think that a "Big 10" with 12 teams and a Big XII with 10 teams might possibly be one of the stupidest things in sports. It won't make any sense. Also, Colorado's closest road game will be Arizona State. Last I checked Colorado is land locked, nowhere near the Pacific Ocean. It just doesn't make any sense.

I get that the "Big 10" is a brand (read-Michigan and Ohio State). But you're gonna run into problems with unchanging the name when you're building the conference. It really should be the "Big 11" as it is already.

I'm a UB student, so I'm a UB fan, by extension a MAC fan. The MAC is actually very solvent and competitive. I can live with crappy defense and "mid major" talent. At least the games are high scoring and entertaining.

its all about the Benjamins. this whole shake up started because of money. any moves or non-moves were made because of money. ALL decisions made will be because of money.

while i agree that logically, having a "Big 10" with 12 teams and a "Big 12" with 10 is absolutely ridiculous, you arent going to see any name changes if for no other reason, the amount they would have to spend on re-printing their stationary.

Wow.

From http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5289050

Powers said there were no new guarantees of big-money television revenue, but a key point for Texas staying put was keeping its media rights.

Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe said no new TV deals have been struck, but he has "extremely strong verification, based on our analysis with our consultants and others, and media companies themselves, that we are in a tremendous position to execute future agreements that will put our member institutions on par with any in the country." He did not provide any numbers during a conference call with reporters.

/sigh