OT: DVD burning software

TracyLee

I have moved past Ron Artest and the brawl.  I think he probably should have just shrugged it of or maybe said something to the guy.

What I'm trying to say is that for someone to say that the movie industry should sue 15 year olds for pirating Spider Man and then say that Ron Artest should "shurg it off" because it was "just a cup" is contridictary.  They are both petty crimes.  I just find it very stupid when someone condones lawsuits against children for a petty crime, but wants to hang someone else for reacting to a petty crime.

The logic is just flawed.

142651[/snapback]

You're not even using LOGIC at all.

This would be logic:

You are saying that Artest is getting heat for attacking a fan, even though the fan threw a cup.

So, why are people mad at Artest and not the kid??

Hey, moron, the KID = the guy who threw the cup (you've even compared them earlier).

So, with your mind-numbing logic, since we are talking about how bad what the kid did, Artest was right to ATTACK a person. . .

Wow, you could confuse a hooker out of giving you a blowjob, I swear.

In this case, it would be as if this kid made a pirated copy of Jurassic Park, and then Steven Spielburg came to the kids house and beat the ever living crap out of him. Well, Spielburg WOULDN'T. Why? Because he isn't a mindless THUG like Artest. He may file suit against the kid - a reasonble reaction to a small crime.

Much like pointing out a fan to have him removed by security would have been in Artest's case.

Are you sure about that?  I seem to recall reading somewhere awhile ago that this wasn't true.  I don't have the reference anymore though and I could've misread it (or it could've been misrepresented itself).

CW

142676[/snapback]

Fez, read this: http://www.publaw.com/parody.html It covers parody pretty well, using the 2 Live Crew/Roy Orbison court battle as an example.

Agreed on the game copying and whether it's worth it to go after damages.  Do a search on eBay, and you'll find tons of people selling NFL games on DVD and the NFL doesn't even care to go after THEM.

142604[/snapback]

That's where I got my copy of the Comeback a few years ago, paid $25 for it. One of these days the someone at the NFL will decide to crack down on these people offering games for sale. And that will be a sad day here, because instead of paying $5 for a game, we'll be shelling out probably around $20 a game to the NFL.

As it is now, the Buffalo special "A Town, A Team, A Dream" is available through NFL Films, but as a special order item, for about $50 a copy.

I thought street violence wasn't acceptable??

142674[/snapback]

I live in Virginia, you break into my house and steal my stuff. I will ensure that the police feel my family and I were threatened and that I resolved the situation. Besides, I have enough retired military, rednecks, state troopers and a couple of FBI and CIA neighbors, I doubt you would get very far.

If I came and stole a DVD from your house would you have the same reaction as if I stole your car?

I doubt it.

142659[/snapback]

Yes. You violate my property, I get it back and put you in the hospital. Furthermore, you steal my intellectual property, I put you in the hospital. You can try it...a couple of my professional publications are available on the internet. Circulate them as your own and see what happens.

This would be logic:

You are saying that Artest is getting heat for attacking a fan, even though the fan threw a cup.

142679[/snapback]

...and this is completely ignoring the fact that he attacked the wrong fan. :w00t:

Nobody is arguing that there aren't varying levels of theft, just as there are varying degrees of assault, but theft of copyrighted works is a felony.

This would be logic:

So, why are people mad at Artest and not the kid??

Hey, moron, the KID = the guy who threw the cup (you've even compared them earlier).

So, with your mind-numbing logic, since we are talking about how bad what the kid did, Artest was right to ATTACK a person. . .

Wow, you could confuse a hooker out of giving you a blowjob, I swear.

In this case, it would be as if this kid made a pirated copy of Jurassic Park, and then Steven Spielburg came to the kids house and beat the ever living crap out of him. Well, Spielburg WOULDN'T. Why? Because he isn't a mindless THUG like Artest. He may file suit against the kid - a reasonble reaction to a small crime.

Much like pointing out a fan to have him removed by security would have been in Artest's case.

142679[/snapback]

If you could actually read steve you might find my points to be as follows.

1. Theft is wrong.

2. Assault is wrong.

3. The Kid and the guy throwing beer= wrong

4. The reaction of the movie companies (suing children for a petty crime) is kneejerk.

5. Many here consider the actions of Ron Artest to be kneejerk and think he was out of line.

6. I think the movie companies are out of line. They are NOT going broke tomorrow because of this kid.

7. Saying there are varying levels of assault but only one kind of theft is flawed.

Would you like me to elaborate further or is this all you can handle for now?

If you could actually read steve you might find my points to be as follows.

1.  Theft is wrong.

2.  Assault is wrong.

3.  The Kid and the guy throwing beer= wrong

4.  The reaction of the movie companies (suing children for a petty crime) is kneejerk.

5.  Many here consider the actions of Ron Artest to be kneejerk and think he was out of line.

6.  I think the movie companies are out of line.  They are NOT going broke tomorrow because of this kid.

7.  Saying there are varying levels of assault but only one kind of theft is flawed.

Would you like me to elaborate further or is this all you can handle for now?

142695[/snapback]

I am f-cking blown away that you can count to seven.

Yes.  You violate my property, I get it back and put you in the hospital.  Furthermore, you steal my intellectual property, I put you in the hospital.  You can try it...a couple of my professional publications are available on the internet.  Circulate them as your own and see what happens.

142687[/snapback]

You see this is what I am talking about. You are saying if I committ a petty crime against you you would put me in the hospital. Ron Artest did the EXACT same thing you are saying you would do to me when a petty crime was committed against him and you think Ron Artest should be in jail.

Ron Artest probably will go to jail and probably deserves it, but you saying you would do the same just shows you are no different than him.

4.  The reaction of the movie companies (suing children for a petty crime) is kneejerk.

142695[/snapback]

I'll say it again, moron (yeah it feels good to call you a moron).

One kid sharing one video is a petty crime. Losers setting up video & music sharing servers out of their mommies bedrooms and college dorms are not petty thieves. Who do you think that the recording industry & movie industry is after?

Because I find it funny that "theft is theft" but assault varies on the item you use.

142669[/snapback]

Haven't you heard of "Assault with a deadly weapon"?

Here's two examples that I learned from when I did a ride along with the Sheriff's department.

1) Teenager calls up 911 because their parent disiplined them. They want the parent arrested for child abuse. No arrest was made. Why? Penal code allows the parent to disipline within a resonable manner. In this case the mother slapped the child across the face with an open hand. If the parent hand a closed fist, then there would be reason to arrest. But not in this case.

2) Fight between two guys. One is punching, the other is pushing and wrestling. Only the puncher was arrested because he was using a closed fist. The other person never punch.

You see this is what I am talking about.  You are saying if I committ a petty crime against you you would put me in the hospital.  Ron Artest did the EXACT same thing you are saying you would do to me when a petty crime was committed against him and you think Ron Artest should be in jail.

Ron Artest probably will go to jail and probably deserves it, but you saying you would do the same just shows you are no different than him.

142702[/snapback]

No, it shows that he understands that there would be consiquences, and yet it might be worth it.

Ron Artest was on ESPN and didn't even think what he did was wrong.

Actually, he help up his CD, which only needs to go 15 times platinum for him to make back the money he loses this year.

I'll say it again, moron (yeah it feels good to call you a moron).

One kid sharing one video is a petty crime.  Losers setting up video & music sharing servers out of their mommies bedrooms and college dorms are not petty thieves.  Who do you think that the recording industry & movie industry is after?

142703[/snapback]

I know who they are after. I'm also not the one who started into this kid or his mother either.

He isn't running a business, he just wants some DVD's to watch.

The movie companies should go after people trying to make a profit off of them. I totally agree.

Care to argue any of those points or just act like a jackass?

142704[/snapback]

The original statement was

My son downloads tons of movies

That means thousands, last time I checked. At 20 bucks a piece that is major felony, upwords of 20 thousand dollars in copyrighted material.

Yeah that is a major deal, and that is who the recording/movie industry is going after. Rightfully so.

Haven't you heard of "Assault with a deadly weapon"?

Here's two examples that I learned from when I did a ride along with the Sheriff's department.

1) Teenager calls up 911 because their parent disiplined them. They want the parent arrested for child abuse. No arrest was made. Why? Penal code allows the parent to disipline within a resonable manner. In this case the mother slapped the child across the face with an open hand. If the parent hand a closed fist, then there would be reason to arrest. But not in this case.

2) Fight between two guys. One is punching, the other is pushing and wrestling. Only the puncher was arrested because he was using a closed fist. The other person never punch.

142706[/snapback]

Well that's the funny thing Jack, I DO agree with you at this point. I've re-evaluated my stance on assault and understand the different variations now. That's the point I'm trying to make.

Care to argue any of those points or just act like a jackass?

142704[/snapback]

I've argued my point over and over.

Listen, if you go to my house and steal something, its theft. You stole something. To say something is more valuable than the next is for me to decide (especially sentimental things).

Bodily injury is a different subject altogether.

I can go to a doctor after being assaulted and he can say EXACTLY how much damage was done.

Artest was hit with a plastic cup. He proceded to punch, closed fisted, at least 3 people.

You steal from me, you steal from me. The only difference is when it gets upto grand theft, but either way, I am equally violated.

However, you hit me with a plastic cup? I'm pissed. Punch me? well, i think you get the idea (wait, I'm almost sure you don't)... nevermind.

You see this is what I am talking about.  You are saying if I committ a petty crime against you you would put me in the hospital.  Ron Artest did the EXACT same thing you are saying you would do to me when a petty crime was committed against him and you think Ron Artest should be in jail.

142702[/snapback]

Yeah...because breaking into my house and throwing a beer at me are OBVIOUSLY THE SAME !@#$ING THING, you half-wit. What, do you eat paint chips for breakfast every morning?

The original statement was

That means thousands, last time I checked.  At 20 bucks a piece that is major felony, upwords of 20 thousand dollars in copyrighted material. 

Yeah that is a major deal, and that is who the recording/movie industry is going after.  Rightfully so.

142717[/snapback]

Have you ever copied a movie off of TV or rented a movie and copied it?