Segregation still the law in Alabama

Mickey

The Republican Governor of Alabama made a noble effort to remove antiquated language from the State Constitution which mandated separate schools for "white and colored children" and imposed poll taxes that kept blacks and poor whites from voting. Unfortunately, the ballot initiatives failed by a whisker. It was so close in fact that a recount was automatically triggered by law. I congratulate him on his efforts. Unfortunately, he could not overcome the opposition by the Alabama Christian Coalition and the defrocked former Justice Roy Moore (Mr. Ten Commandments).

I posted on these initiatives before the election but I never got around to posting the results.

Without rehashing the whole debate, the proponents simply wanted to get rid of this offensive language but the opponents argued that it would, horror of horrors, give citizens a right to public education and ultimately lead to judicially ordered school budget increases. Proponents pointed out that such a thing was already illegal under Alabama law as there was a case directly on point ruling that under no circumstances would a judge have that authority.

This is not, I would think, a right-left thing as the man who fought for the initiatives was a Republican.

The end result is that segregation is still, technically, the law in Alabama. What a wonderful thing for students reading the constitution of the State of Alabama to run across.

*sigh*

This is the same guy who tried to appeal to the "Christian" natures of his constituents in a plea to raise money specifically earmarked for education. The Lord knows Alabama is perennially at or near the bottom of the heap both in money spent per student as well as SAT/ACT scores, # of high school graduates and # of college-bound seniors.

He was defeated soundly by a 75% margin.

I'm just surprised that the GOP hit machine hasn't gone after him yet.

I give him a lot of credit for not only having principles but standing by them - he's got to be a lonely guy in that party.

This is the same guy who tried to appeal to the "Christian" natures of his constituents in a plea to raise money specifically earmarked for education. The Lord knows Alabama is perennially at or near the bottom of the heap both in money spent per student as well as SAT/ACT scores, # of high school graduates and # of college-bound seniors.

He was defeated soundly by a 75% margin.

I'm just surprised that the GOP hit machine hasn't gone after him yet. 

I give him a lot of credit for not only having principles but standing by them - he's got to be a lonely guy in that party.

141811[/snapback]

So let me get this straight, when you agree with the priciples that a politician stands by you give him credit, but when a certain president stands by his that you don't agree with he is being stubborn and pig headed. Ahhh, the hypocrite is at is again. :w00t:

So let me get this straight, when you agree with the priciples that a politician stands by you give him credit, but when a certain president stands by his that you don't agree with he is being stubborn and pig headed.  Ahhh, the hypocrite is at is again.  :w00t:

142629[/snapback]

Sounds like you are agreeing with the pro-segregation crowd.

Better check to make sure that slavery is still not allowed.

142605[/snapback]

It is... Weren't there stories of people being held in involuntary servitude for generations in the most remote areas of AL and LA?... These stories are recent... I guess they would threaten them and their familys with violence... Not sure where I heard some of these absurd stories?

Well, I guess they deserved it... Too stupid to break away from it...? :w00t: