Your drink of choice

I've been trying my hardest to let Stella Artois grow on me but it hasn't yet. I'll give it another try. Blue moon is great tho :thumbdown:

To be honest, I've had Stella at probably a dozen or so places and there is only one that I believe that can nail it. There is a British Pub about 20 miles from me that I will go just to have their Stella on tap. I don't know what it is but I honestly believe that Stella is one of those beers that has to be at that perfect temperature (38 degrees give or take a degree or two) to taste optimum.

If it's too chilled it tastes like a Miller product and to warm just sucks. It's one of those beers that is hard to find on Tap because there aren't may places that sell it that can really nail it. It's one of the oldest beers in world and really needs to be nurtured. Bottled sucks monkey balls and most smaller Bars/Pubs that carry it really need to respect what their selling to get their money's worth. I pay $4.75 a pint at the British Pub but am never disappointed.

Keep looking until you find a place that can "nail it" with Stella. I don't think you will come away disappointed.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest, I've had Stella at probably a dozen or so places and there is only one that I believe that can nail it. There is a British Pub about 20 miles from me that I will go just to have their Stella on tap. I don't know what it is but I honestly believe that Stella is one of those beers that has to be at that perfect temperature (38 degrees give or take a degree or two) to taste optimum.

If it's too chilled it tastes like a Miller product and to warm just sucks. It's one of those beers that is hard to find on Tap because there aren't may places that sell it that can really nail it. It's one of the oldest beers in world and really needs to be nurtured. Bottled sucks monkey balls and most smaller Bars/Pubs that carry it really need to respect what their selling to get their money's worth. I pay $4.75 a pint at the British Pub but am never disappointed.

Keep looking until you find a place that can "nail it" with Stella. I don't think you will come away disappointed.

I've tried it on tap here but they didn't nail it otherwise i'de be singing it's praises. I would like to try it at a pub/bar where they can nail it tho. and it wouldn't hurt if they had a nice cleavagey bartender pouring as well :thumbdown: In high heals!

I've tried it on tap here but they didn't nail it otherwise i'de be singing it's praises. I would like to try it at a pub/bar where they can nail it tho. and it wouldn't hurt if they had a nice cleavagey bartender pouring as well :thumbdown: In high heals!

Sounds like they nailed it on presentation, yum, yum, but it really needs to be poured into the "Stella Glass(40cl)" at the right temperature.

Reminds me of a quote related to the game of golf:

"Easy to learn, impossible to master".

Learning which wines I enjoy (and do NOT enjoy) will occupy the rest of my life.

What a blessed future lies before me.

"That Thing You Do" - The Wonders

Well said, Mr. Bay.

Man, I just can't get there. I've never been a hard-liquor guy. Give me a choice between a great Scotch and a '97 Amarone della Valpolicella or an '04 Schuster Pinot....sorry, the Scotch never gets out of the gate. To each his own.

Cheers! :thumbdown:

I don't know if you and I have ever discussed Amarone on The Wall. One of my favorites.

Of course I'm a big fan of booze, too. :thumbdown:

Yeah, Stella is crap in my book, too. If I'm going to drink blonde lagers I'll take a Canadien or a Blue, or even a Genny Cream, over a Stella any day.

:thumbdown:

Sometimes I go to this place here in St Augustine to gram a slice and beer, and noticed many cases of Genny, Genny Cream and Genny Light stacked up in their window display.

I laughed right out loud, and fairly heartily to boot. I almost went back to ask they WTF was up with that. I don't think they are from WNY/CNY/Southern Tier/etc.

Genny Cream. That's some pretty nasty stuff, right there.

Sometimes I go to this place here in St Augustine to gram a slice and beer, and noticed many cases of Genny, Genny Cream and Genny Light stacked up in their window display.

I laughed right out loud, and fairly heartily to boot. I almost went back to ask they WTF was up with that. I don't think they are from WNY/CNY/Southern Tier/etc.

Genny Cream. That's some pretty nasty stuff, right there.

Gotta agree Mr. Dean, any of the Genny products are a joke. I've been up tp your neck of the woods and there are a few decent places to have a good Beer. I am only a couple hours away but I've only been up there once. Went to a lot of bars but it's too damn touristy.

Anyway , I will try and contact you next time i am up there and we can shoot the bull about the Bills and sample the finest beverages that St. Augustine has to offer.

Honestly, as far as Cream Ale's go Genny's is one of the better ones. Of course, you have to like a sweeter, creamier tasting beer to find that appealing, but I would happily take one over a Stella or crap like Amstel Light any day. Genny and Genny light, however, are dog****.

Gotta agree Mr. Dean, any of the Genny products are a joke. I've been up tp your neck of the woods and there are a few decent places to have a good Beer. I am only a couple hours away but I've only been up there once. Went to a lot of bars but it's too damn touristy.

Anyway , I will try and contact you next time i am up there and we can shoot the bull about the Bills and sample the finest beverages that St. Augustine has to offer.

Honestly, as far as Cream Ale's go Genny's is one of the better ones. Of course, you have to like a sweeter, creamier tasting beer to find that appealing, but I would happily take one over a Stella or crap like Amstel Light any day. Genny and Genny light, however, are dog****.

You would know!!

When it comes to Stella though, IMO, it's a great beer, but it has to be served properly. Bottle or one of the many places that jockey it really can't perfect it. It's unique if you ask me, and has to be served that way, but I am just a simple Bills fan and don't know any better.

You would know!!

When it comes to Stella though, IMO, it's a great beer, but it has to be served properly. Bottle or one of the many places that jockey it really can't perfect it. It's unique if you ask me, and has to be served that way, but I am just a simple Bills fan and don't know any better.

Sorry if I came across snobby. Beer tastes are relative and everyone has different preferences. If you like Stella I have no problem with that.

Sorry if I came across snobby. Beer tastes are relative and everyone has different preferences. If you like Stella I have no problem with that.

I might come across as the snobby one here. I grew up on Genny, Old Milwaukee. PBR, RWB, Barvarian and whatever else I could get my hands onto.

I have slowly graduated to "real" Beers and have more or less have become a conisuer(so).

Went with a bottle of Unibroue Don De Dieu tonight. It's a beer I've been meaning to try for a long time. Judging by the taste it won't be nearly as long before I have a second bottle.

I understand what you're saying. Honestly though, I think it seems that way to a tourist more so than if you lived here. Particularly if you only spent a day or two here. The downtown area is a bit touristy, to be sure. But even in that area there are pretty cool local hangs.

St Augustine Beach does a very good job of balancing the local flavor with beach tourists. Very low key for the most part.

Now keep in mind I grew up in Niagara Falls (before it became a TOTAL hell-hole) and lived in San Francisco, Manhattan Beach in SoCal, Boston, etc. So I'm a bit acclimated to a bit of tourism and tourist bulls#it. And, to a degree, I have learned to take occasional advantage of the little extras and bonuses that come with the tourist crowd. We probably have slightly more/better restaurants, get slightly more/better entertainment, etc than a similarly-sized city with no tourism, located just outside of a dump of a city like Jacksonville.

I've been trying my hardest to let Stella Artois grow on me but it hasn't yet. I'll give it another try. Blue moon is great tho :thumbdown:

In Argentina, Stella Artois is considered too much too sweet. though I sometimes comsume it. People here prefer Heineken or Warsteiner, more of a sour taste.

To answer the question all of them.............This subject is dear to my heart. My wife and I are both drinkers and like different drinks for different scenarios/occasions. I'm a "beer guy". I have had many of the higher end beers mentioned in this thread as well as all the usual suspects. I love trying different beers. I'm a big fan of pale ales and I'd say as a whole, the Great Lakes Brewery out of Cleveland is my favorite microbrewing company. As far as imports go, I love Hoegarden, Duvel, Spaten and a number of other Euro beers but also love a good Red Stripe on a hot day.

I've started to get more into wine as I've gotten a little older (from my college days). My wife is a pretty big wine fan and I'd say in the last year or two, Malbecs are our current favorite. She took a viticulture and enology class in undergrad ( I couldnt get in :thumbdown: ) so she knows a bit more than me, but we are pretty much wine novices. I always love a Pinot Noir and my current fav is the Rodney Strong. About $20 a bottle. Like I said I don't know wine near as well as I know beer so I don't know if this is considered a decent wine or not.

As for liquor, I've toned way down since my undergrad years. I rarely drink liquor anymroe but if I'm drinking a mixed drink it's either a bombay sappire and tonic (maybe weddings, company functions, more upscale events) or captain & coke (trying to get shitfaced). I drink captain like its water so I don't dabble with it too much anymore.

As far as shots go, I don't get into them like I used to 5 years ago. I'm to the point where if I'm doing a shot it is either a Jeager bomb, car bomb, or Patron straght up. I can't do crown, Jack, any other whisky, or crappy tequila. Sorry for the long response but as I said it's a subject dear to my heart :thumbdown:

Oh and although I understand and appreciate the "good beers", my everyday beer is Bud light. If I want to get drunk on beer it's gonna be BL unless it's a Bills game day, then it's Labatt Blue light.

I've lately been enjoying an occasional Smithwicks at a local pub. It's a very bold, deep amber with very light carbonation that goes down smooth. As far as Warsteiner goes, I'd have to disagree on the sour analysis. I think it's a very mild, very smooth and very nice lager.

I've lately been enjoying an occasional Smithwicks at a local pub. It's a very bold, deep amber with very light carbonation that goes down smooth. As far as Warsteiner goes, I'd have to disagree on the sour analysis. I think it's a very mild, very smooth and very nice lager.

I think Warsteiner is a great beer for hot weather.