Educated thoughts about Losman...

Toledo Bill

It may be unfair, but comparing JP to RJ is all people have right now, until JP has some games under his belt.  If the kid really is a gamer, the comparisons will go away fast.

141512[/snapback]

so i say lets play JP

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Losman has an upside. Bledsoe has none.

140672[/snapback]

No truer words were ever written.

Mark, Jay, 89, Jack and a few others including myself had a chance to see Losman play in a closed workout at RWS before he got hurt. This kid was impressive in just that short workout and sure it was just a practice, but somethings just can't be taught. Very good pocket presence and though he took off with the ball a little early on some plays, I think that can be traced back to his days at Tulane were he played behind what was described as the worst offensive line in college ball. That said, this kid can chew gum, run and throw the football...on the money. The thing that fans are going to have to realize is that its going to be an on-going learning experience for Losman and that patience will be needed while the kid learns how to read NFL style defenses and the different looks he never saw before at Tulane. People either don't know or are to young to remember, but Jim Kelly got the stuffing knocked out of him his first two years playing pro ball for the Gamblers. It took Kelly time and the same is going to be true for Losman.

If the Bills, futher into the season get eliminated from any post season play, we will see Losman on the field. One Bills drive wants to see what they have with Losman as much as "us fans" for the most part, want to see this kid play. Weather he can tie in the intangibles, physical skills and Quarterbacking intelligence is anyones guess right now; including the Bills.

I remember you guys talking about it at Nicks during lunch that day, didn't he get hurt that next Monday?

141561[/snapback]

Wow!! You have a good memory. That is exactly right. Losman got hurt shortly after our TBD get-together at Nicks. The air was let out of our balloon of expectations when Losman went down. Especially after the crispness of his performance at RWS. I sure hope that 1,2,3 or 1,2 out with the ball with no hesitation carries over to when the bullets are for real and he has some practice time knowing that he will be starting or at least playing in the game.

Thanks to Toledo Bill for asking this questiion, it is threads like this that contain real information about a player and his history (rather than old-saw and untrue in many cases platiitudes) that makes TSW great.

One set of additional factoids regarding Losman's college career is that he took over a program and produced wins being QB for Tulane in 2002 and 2003 which has NFL QB Patrick Ramsey running the Tulane O and earning himself a 1st round pick.

I think this factoid about JP's college career MAY be significant for a number of reasons:

1. Though no one would mistake Tulane for being a QB mill, the fact they produced two 1st rounders at the position in a row means that JP was probably trained by folks who knew how to prepare a QB.

2. All reports and the fact Tulane has to us the shotgun substantiate the sense that JP had to run for his life behind a porous line, but clearly Tulane had other weapons that both Ramsey and JP used well so one should not make the assumption he did it all on his own or completely surrounded by players who were as bad as his OL apparently was.

3. He came into a situation where the team was used to a high level of play from the QB and JP clearly fit well into this mold though he did not create it himself.

I think all these points may well be important in assessing the development situation JP finds himself in and how he reacts to it.

I think JP is actually going too fast.  Other than his backpedal from center (friggin sweet) I think he is trying to do things too fast. Reads too fast, ready to dump the ball off or run too fast.  With his ability to get out from under center so fast and his ability with his legs, he needs to relax a little and wait for a play to develop.

Only though playing will he do this.

141486[/snapback]

This tells me that the game is moving too fast for him....that is why everything is a hurry......

I actually like the games where he gets a small amount of time right now....to get him aclimated.

I think the bills are handling him correctly....for now

so you like drew?  YOU WANT THE TRUTH " YOU CANN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH" you better stop drinking come up for air OPEN YOUR F####ING EYES  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :D

141506[/snapback]

Did I say that?

NO.

But from what I know about Losman's NFL career:

He couldn't make it out of training camp, and when he did get into a game he lookd atrocious.

140672[/snapback]

Mark, Jay, 89, Jack and a few others including myself had a chance to see Losman play in a closed workout at RWS before he got hurt. This kid was impressive in just that short workout and sure it was just a practice, but somethings just can't be taught. Very good pocket presence and though he took off with the ball a little early on some plays, I think that can be traced back to his days at Tulane were he played behind what was described as the worst offensive line in college ball. That said, this kid can chew gum, run and throw the football...on the money. The thing that fans are going to have to realize is that its going to be an on-going learning experience for Losman and that patience will be needed while the kid learns how to read NFL style defenses and the different looks he never saw before at Tulane. People either don't know or are to young to remember, but Jim Kelly got the stuffing knocked out of him his first two years playing pro ball for the Gamblers. It took Kelly time and the same is going to be true for Losman.

If the Bills, futher into the season get eliminated from any post season play, we will see Losman on the field. One Bills drive wants to see what they have with Losman as much as "us fans" for the most part, want to see this kid play. Weather he can tie in the intangibles, physical skills and Quarterbacking intelligence is anyones guess right now; including the Bills.

141550[/snapback]

RJ looked like a hall of famer in practice, too.

I'll believe it when I see it.

Thanks to Toledo Bill for asking this questiion, it is threads like this that contain real information about a player and his history (rather than old-saw and untrue in many cases platiitudes) that makes TSW great.

One set of additional factoids regarding Losman's college career is that he took over a program and produced wins being QB for Tulane in 2002 and 2003 which has NFL QB Patrick Ramsey running the Tulane O and earning himself a 1st round pick.

I think this factoid about JP's college career MAY be significant for a number of reasons:

1. Though no one would mistake Tulane for being a QB mill, the fact they produced two 1st rounders at the position in a row means that JP was probably trained by folks who knew how to prepare a QB.

2. All reports and the fact Tulane has to us the shotgun substantiate the sense that JP had to run for his life behind a porous line, but clearly Tulane had other weapons that both Ramsey and JP used well so one should not make the assumption he did it all on his own or completely surrounded by players who were as bad as his OL apparently was.

3. He came into a situation where the team was used to a high level of play from the QB and JP clearly fit well into this mold though he did not create it himself.

I think all these points may well be important in assessing the development situation JP finds himself in and how he reacts to it.

141665[/snapback]

I get a kick out of being in Maryland because of the eerie parallels between the Redskin misfortunes and the Bills.

The Redskins mortgaged the farm to bring in Brunell. The offense stinks to high heaven. Finally, they turned to Ramsey. Guess what? The offense still stinks. But whereas before everybody was screaming their heads off about starting the future when their #1 is stuck on the bench, now the consensus is that Ramsey may be a bust.

So two warnings. The obvious one is that you can't put all of the blame on Bledsoe the qb. The more troubling one is that JP might wind up looking like Ramsey - a #1 who is not the answer.

I get a kick out of being in Maryland because of the eerie parallels between the Redskin misfortunes and the Bills.

The Redskins mortgaged the farm to bring in Brunell. The offense stinks to high heaven. Finally, they turned to Ramsey. Guess what?  The offense still stinks. But whereas before everybody was screaming their heads off about starting the future when their #1 is stuck on the bench, now the consensus is that Ramsey may be a bust.

So two warnings.  The obvious one is that you can't put all of the blame on Bledsoe the qb. The more troubling one is that JP might wind up looking like Ramsey - a #1 who is not the answer.

141963[/snapback]

I think Ramsey has taken too many hits already in his career. That's the danger of putting a young player behind an OLine that ain't ready for Prime Time and a receiver corp that's not quite there yet either. Add to that a whole new scheme/coaching staff and you have a blossoming disaster.

140672[/snapback]

141550[/snapback]

Give up Steve, you're only offering an educated opinion. It's only based on your 40 + years of attending football games in person. You don't know anything. :ph34r:

Whatever. No one is declaring Losman the savior. Just that he deserves a shot over a washed up loser who still makes high school mistakes in his 12th year of Pro Football ( Read the safety ? Look at secondary receivers? What's that ? ) Those 3 INT's against Seattle would have killed us most other weeks. That's a normal game for DB.

Some people want Losman to fail for the anti-TD agenda. I could care less about TD. I want to win games and go deep into the playoffs. Bledsoe will NEVER get us there. So lets just B word and Moan instead of giving Losman a shot.

Let's e-mail Sam Wyche and tell him he's wasting his time with Losman. :P

best way I can explain his play, take the best of what Rob Johnson had, and the best that Doug Flutie had and mix them into one. Sounds bad but everything that Flutie lacked Johnson had and vice versa.

Bottom line he is a QB that like Flutie can keep a team in a game almost by himself, like rob johnson he can make all the throws. Like flutie has great pocket awareness. Like rob johnson can see over the line.