Buffalo's golden years

I've had the good luck to be inside of the manufacturing building (the white one, behind the brick offices) in about 1974. There are ramps leading from floor to floor. It was my understanding that the rolling chassis began life at the top, then could be easily moved lower as assembly progressed.

When I lived on the west side, there was a Pierce-Arrow in the junkyard behind our backyard. (The junkyard was on Niagara and Potomac.)

It appeared to be in decent shape, always wondered what happened to it.

Skooby is driving it - while taunting members of this board. :blush:

Cool site Jim!

BFLO was also the first city in the US to have all paved roads... You can probably guess why... :devil::lol: That dreaded four letter word: SNOW :worthy:

Then we mush have also been first with pot holes! I'll bet there are still some "originals" still around.

For your football history lesson of the day, the 1918 Buffalo Semi-Professional Football League contained a team called the Pierce-Arrows. They went 2-3-1 for the season, finishing in second place behind the Niagaras (who went undefeated at 5-0-0).

Coach: Raymond J. Fisher

Schedule:

October 20, 1918 Pierce-Arrows vs. Pittsburgh Colored Stars*

October 27, 1918 Pierce-Arrows 31 vs. Pittsburgh Colored Stars 0

November 10, 1918 Pierce-Arrows 0 vs. Hydraulics 0

November 17, 1918 Pittsburgh Colored Stars 7 vs. Pierce-Arrows 0

November 24, 1918 Pierce-Arrows 6 vs. Pittsburgh Colored Stars 0

November 28, 1918 Niagaras 20 vs. Pierce-Arrows 0

* Game cancelled due to the Hun Flu epidemic. The public health department banned all public gatherings.

For your football history lesson of the day, the 1918 Buffalo Semi-Professional Football League contained a team called the Pierce-Arrows. They went 2-3-1 for the season, finishing in second place behind the Niagaras (who went undefeated at 5-0-0).

Schedule:

* Game cancelled due to the Hun Flu epidemic. The public health department banned all public gatherings.

The Hydraulics :worthy::devil: Though I do like the name Niagaras.

The Hydraulics :worthy::devil: Though I do like the name Niagaras.

While there is no official connection, the Niagaras essentially became the Buffalo All-Americans of what is now named the NFL.

Schedule:

Every game was a shutout? Was that a rule then?? :worthy: Including the first one, where everyone waas shut out!

After all this was when things were built with ingenuity and human hands, not cranked out a mile a minute by a CNC.

I'll take CNC and robotics any day. Let me also add that multi-floor manufacturing plants are the pits, and that is from experience