Stop the Orakpo Comparisons

JPS

I dont buy the whole "different position" BS

Orakpo had something like 8 or his 11 sacks while lined up at DE. He wasnt full time at either position. So now its a bad thing that he was able to start for the Redskins - a team with a lot more talent than the Bills - at TWO positions, and succeed at both of the those positions, while Maybin couldnt sniff the field at only one position.

Seems to me like the fact the Orakpo was such a good linebaker and DE is more of a reason we should have drafted him.

How people who make picks like that remain in the NFL is beyond me.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont buy the whole "different position" BS

Orakpo had something like 8 or his 11 sacks while lined up at DE. He wasnt full time at either position. So now its a bad thing that he was able to start for the Redskins - a team with a lot more talent than the Bills - at TWO positions, and succeed at both of the those positions, while Maybin couldnt sniff the field at only one position.

Seems to me like the fact the Orakpo was such a good linebaker and DE is more of a reason we should have drafted him.

How people who make picks like that remain in the NFL is beyond me.

If im not mistaken didnt Perry Fewell come out say Maybin didnt know the playbook?I think Maybin may not be all that smart and i highly doubt Chan plays him this year barring injury

The Maybin pick mystifies.

If they prized speed at DE, they could have bought GT's Michael Johnson at a much lower price...

http://www.nfl.com/players/michaeljohnson/...le?id=JOH000003

His time on in the field was likely the same as Maybin, but he got 3 sacks and 5 pass defenses. He was fun to watch - he absolutely flew into the offensive backfield. 6'7", 260 lb - a nice size for a 3-4 defense OLB - where CIN had been working him at.

According to the author, CIN has a "traffic jam" at DE.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Batt...b7-0590c3a9f68b

I don't know their money situation with Robt. Geathers (he signed a sweetheart deal a couple of years ago), and really hasn't shown much after that. In their D scheme, he does drop back in coverage from time to time. My guess is that if it doesn't unduly bite their bottom line, he gets axed.

I'd pass on him. The mentioned Clinton McDonald might be one for the Bills to think about for the PS if he gets chopped. ..which is likely IMO.

One of the things I do hope for in regards to Aaron Maybin is that George Edwards has a plan for him in this defense. The NY Giants in LT's heyday would isolate Taylor on the weakest blocker, either a TE or RB, and generally he'd fly right by for the sack. In my mind, Maybin must be schemed by the Bills to put him in favorable match-ups, so they can benefit from his elite speed. Does anyone here really feel Aaron Maybin was properly utilized last year? I doubt it, so let's see what this staff brings to the table when they, in fact, have athletes that could excel with the right defensive coordination! It should be quite interesting.....

Brian Orakpo played LINEBACKER last year on a team devoid of linebackers. Aaron Maybin's bosses put him at DEFENSIVE END on a team with veteran defensive ends. Orakpo probably would have had similar production on the Bills as the coach was trying to save his job.

Another interesting Orakpo stat: He had 8 or so of his 11 sacks against the likes of Oakland, Tampa, KC and Detroit with NO sacks and about 8 total tackles in 6 games against the NFC EAST. To compare Maybin's '09 season to Orakpo is like comparing Malcolm Jenkins to Jairus Byrd.

You keep talking about comparing the two, not compaing them, comparing Maybin to Orakapo, comparing Jenkins to Byrd,

and with all that comparing or not comparing as I'm not sure what your trying to get across, you've failed to meniton Maybin's statistics seeing that you are talking about the comparison of the two...So, did Maybin only have half as many sacks and tackles?? I would guess that he had no sacks or maybe one last year! So, regardless of it all should we compare Trent Edwards to Joe Montana and rationalize that Joe Montana had better receivers on San Fran and that is why his stats are inflated and if Edwards played then on that team he would be about the same???? You really can't rationalize anything by starting with a "probably"...I mean, I probably would've won the lottery if I played! But, I didn't so we'll never know and it's really fruitless to speculate. I personally think that Aaron Maybe Maybin is lousy, but it's not up to me to evaluate him, and even if I do what good will it do seeing I don't make roster decisions? I think Bryan Orakapo is awesome and was really mad that the Bills didn't draft him when he fell in their laps. Maybin is still undersized for his frame and probably will not have much of an impact this year as he will be thrown around like a ragdoll IMO. Well, I just wonder after this year what excuse you will give for Maybin when he has 0-2 sacks and Orakapo has 10-15 sacks this year???? I also watch a player and the way he carries himself, his enthusiasm on the sideline, and in the huddle, his body language, and nothing

that I see of Maybin when I watch some of last year's games looks impressive, there is a definite lack of confidence, he tends to stand around, give up on a play a bit prematurely, and he is not explosive at the snap. Just my observation as I like to critique players and the games. I think we screwed up 3 years in a row at DE in my opinion rather they shift to OLB or not. I didn't like this year's pick, I hated the Maybin pick, and I was unhappy with the Chris Ellis pick as well, and there has been nothing to date to give the slightest reason to change my mind, nor a glimmer of hope for any of the 3, even though it's a bit early to get down on A. Carrington quite yet. I hope I am wrong, and you are right, but I'm afraid that I'm not! Until I see different I'll stick with 5-11 for 2010 and be hoping for 11-5 :thumbsup:

The Maybin pick mystifies.

If they prized speed at DE, they could have bought GT's Michael Johnson at a much lower price...

http://www.nfl.com/players/michaeljohnson/...le?id=JOH000003

His time on in the field was likely the same as Maybin, but he got 3 sacks and 5 pass defenses. He was fun to watch - he absolutely flew into the offensive backfield. 6'7", 260 lb - a nice size for a 3-4 defense OLB - where CIN had been working him at.

According to the author, CIN has a "traffic jam" at DE.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Batt...b7-0590c3a9f68b

I don't know their money situation with Robt. Geathers (he signed a sweetheart deal a couple of years ago), and really hasn't shown much after that. In their D scheme, he does drop back in coverage from time to time. My guess is that if it doesn't unduly bite their bottom line, he gets axed.

I'd pass on him. The mentioned Clinton McDonald might be one for the Bills to think about for the PS if he gets chopped. ..which is likely IMO.

I dont knwo how Maybin was picked before a guy liek Michael Johnson... and he went in the third round!!!

You're the one doing the whining and bitching.

Maybin was pathetic last year. Orakpo was not pathetic.

Maybin had zero sacks and barely saw the field in 09. You can't defend that so I'm glad you're not trying. :thumbsup:

Maybin had zero sacks BECAUSE he barely saw the field in 09.

I'm trying, quite unsuccesfully, to point out that Orakpo was not a defensive end. Many folks on these board seem to assume that to take Orakpo instead of Maybin and he would've had 10 sacks for that Bills team. And that drives me nuts. He was a rush linebacker and he was all they had. Maybin was a lightweight DE behind 3 very experienced grownup DEs.

Who knows what he is at this point. It is absolute hysteria to label Maybin a bust after last year, but, whatever....you guys are the experts.

we reached for Maybin and left Orakpo on the board. Comparisons are very valid

About 1/2 the mocks had Maybin going pick 10-15. He was not a reach. Derrius Heyward Bay was a reach. John McCargo was a reach. I don't remember any credible mocks pushing Maybin into the 2nd round.

Brian Orakpo played LINEBACKER last year on a team devoid of linebackers. Aaron Maybin's bosses put him at DEFENSIVE END on a team with veteran defensive ends. Orakpo probably would have had similar production on the Bills as the coach was trying to save his job.

Another interesting Orakpo stat: He had 8 or so of his 11 sacks against the likes of Oakland, Tampa, KC and Detroit with NO sacks and about 8 total tackles in 6 games against the NFC EAST. To compare Maybin's '09 season to Orakpo is like comparing Malcolm Jenkins to Jairus Byrd.

Didn't we play most of those teams that Orakpo had all of his sacks against? How'd Maybin do again? Thought so. Also a little bit telling that Maybin wasn't good enough to instill enough confidence in any of our coaches to get him on the field ANYWHERE.

Nic Harris did. George Wilson did. Maybin? Anyone, anyone?

And while Maybin might have projected going in the first round last year, he was also a bunch of people's pick for bust. There sat Orakpo, accomplished in the college game, also a projected first rounder, and producing in a damn good conference. And there sat Maybin. One decent half a season at Penn State. And who did we take? LOL. THe beat goes on and on and on.

I hope Maybin develops, and I also hope that someday we actually have a front office better than their fans. Because, as it stands now, if our fans would have been drafting the first and second rounds the last 6 or 7 years, we would be a hell of a lot better football team.