Bills Looking Everywhere For Possible Talent

H2o

OK...I am totally on board with giving this dude a shot and coaching him up!

HE IS A FU**ING BEAST!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJeodGCjPbc

You have got to be kidding right? A Pro Rugby player with zero American football experience thinks he can play NFL-level football as anything other then a kicker?? :unsure:

What's even more pathetic is Buddy Nix showing inteterst in converting this guy. He thinks he can play linebacker or be a kick returner? (Or at least that's what Inglis's agent thinks NFL teams think he can play). Inglis has never put on a pair of shoulder pads or run an American football play from the line of scrimmage, and he can just fly on up here, spend 3 days running around the practice field, and take a roster spot away from one of the 53 players who will end up making up the 2010 Buffalo Bills as a linebacker or kick returner?

First of all, just how many kick returners does Chan and Buddy think they need to have on one team? With Chad Simpson recently being signed, I don't think I'm going out on a limb here to say that the Bills are set at punt and kick off returners, without bringing a Pro Rubgy player into the mix.

Secondly, the last time I checked, linebackers in the NFL have to be pretty damn well versed in reading offenses and understanding defenses before they can get on the field. Being a "big guy who runs fast with no pads on" might be a good start to becoming a linebacker in American football, if you are an 18 year old kid walking on to a mid major college with a red shirt year to start learing how to read a damn defensive playbook!! but I don't hink the Bills can afford the luxury of making a crazy signing like that and simply "coaching him up." to eventually play linebacker on their brand new 3-4 defense! :thumbsup: I liked the Andra Davis signing, and if the Bills think they need even more FA help at linebacker, I would be more impressed if they just brought in Adalius Thomas for the next three years, then to sign a rugby player project that couldn't possibly even learn to play linebacker for three years.

You have got to be kidding right? A Pro Rugby player with zero American football experience thinks he can play NFL-level football as anything other then a kicker?? :unsure:

What's even more pathetic is Buddy Nix showing inteterst in converting this guy. He thinks he can play linebacker or be a kick returner? (Or at least that's what Inglis's agent thinks NFL teams think he can play). Inglis has never put on a pair of shoulder pads or run an American football play from the line of scrimmage, and he can just fly on up here, spend 3 days running around the practice field, and take a roster spot away from one of the 53 players who will end up making up the 2010 Buffalo Bills as a linebacker or kick returner?

First of all, just how many kick returners does Chan and Buddy think they need to have on one team? With Chad Simpson recently being signed, I don't think I'm going out on a limb here to say that the Bills are set at punt and kick off returners, without bringing a Pro Rubgy player into the mix.

Secondly, the last time I checked, linebackers in the NFL have to be pretty damn well versed in reading offenses and understanding defenses before they can get on the field. Being a "big guy who runs fast with no pads on" might be a good start to becoming a linebacker in American football, if you are an 18 year old kid walking on to a mid major college with a red shirt year to start learing how to read a damn defensive playbook!! but I don't hink the Bills can afford the luxury of making a crazy signing like that and simply "coaching him up." to eventually play linebacker on their brand new 3-4 defense! :thumbsup: I liked the Andra Davis signing, and if the Bills think they need even more FA help at linebacker, I would be more impressed if they just brought in Adalius Thomas for the next three years, then to sign a rugby player project that couldn't possibly even learn to play linebacker for three years.

First off Chad Simpson sucks and won't make this team.

Second...the Bills cannot afford to let McGee, McKelvin, Spiller, Jackson and their top players return kicks.

Third...its not hard to say, "ok Greg, they are gonna punt the ball to you...catch it and run as fast and hard as you can go!" Or, "ok Greg, see Tom Brady? Just come off the edge as fast and hard as you can, and sack his ass!"

EVERY rookie that comes into the NFL has to learn a playbook and learn to read offense/defenses. Cameron Wake tore up the CFL, which is MUCH different than the NFL...and he is looking like a damn good pickup by Parcells for the Dolphins.

Who are you to say this guy wouldn't or couldn't cut it in the NFL?

Second...the Bills cannot afford to let McGee, McKelvin, Spiller, Jackson and their top players return kicks.

Third...its not hard to say, "ok Greg, they are gonna punt the ball to you...catch it and run as fast and hard as you can go!" Or, "ok Greg, see Tom Brady? Just come off the edge as fast and hard as you can, and sack his ass!"

EVERY rookie that comes into the NFL has to learn a playbook and learn to read offense/defenses. Cameron Wake tore up the CFL, which is MUCH different than the NFL...and he is looking like a damn good pickup by Parcells for the Dolphins.

Chad Simpson sucks and won't even make this team? Who are you to predict that? And don't CFL football players at least wear full pads, and start plays from the line of scrimmage, just like they do in the NFL?? And you make a great point, every rookie does have to learn new NFL playbooks and most struggle to even contribute much their first or even second seasons in the NFL. And yet you turn around and think a rugby player can make the transition into the NFL faster?? Forget about Greg Inglis ever playing NFL football. His agent is simply trying to make him seem more valuable while the rugby teams struggle to get under their salary caps on the other side of the world. If rugby players were that amazing and could make NFL teams that easily, why do you think we have never heard of one doing it? At least I don't remember hearing about one going from pro rugby to NFL football.

Why can't they let there top players return kicks, they have been allowing them to every year for years? Fred Jackson returned kicks last year, Mckelvin the year before, and Mcgee the year before that for 3-4 years!

You have got to be kidding right? A Pro Rugby player with zero American football experience thinks he can play NFL-level football as anything other then a kicker?? :doh:

Secondly, the last time I checked, linebackers in the NFL have to be pretty damn well versed in reading offenses and understanding defenses before they can get on the field. Being a "big guy who runs fast with no pads on" might be a good start to becoming a linebacker in American football, if you are an 18 year old kid walking on to a mid major college with a red shirt year to start learing how to read a damn defensive playbook!! but I don't hink the Bills can afford the luxury of making a crazy signing like that and simply "coaching him up." to eventually play linebacker on their brand new 3-4 defense! :flirt: I liked the Andra Davis signing, and if the Bills think they need even more FA help at linebacker, I would be more impressed if they just brought in Adalius Thomas for the next three years, then to sign a rugby player project that couldn't possibly even learn to play linebacker for three years.

I've been living here in Australia the last almost 6 years now. One thing that i can say about Greg Inglis is he is a superstar talent here. With Melbourne's salary cap debacle, he is being recruited by every other NRL team here and in England and Rugby Union everywhere.

I have played rugby here for the last 5 years and I can say the switch from American Football to Rugby isn't that difficult. I don't think the switch would be too hard the other way around. Rugby players play for 40 minutes solid for 2 halves (80 min total)...No breaks like the NFL. So he'll be fit. You have to both play offensively and defensively. The man can tackle in open space. I think he could easily equate to an OLB or RB. Maybe even a safety.

As a massive Bills fan from Sydney Australia, I would be really happy if he went to the Bills. The guy is a freak of an athlete, obviously he is raw but he has the size and skills that could work. Inglis has one of the best fends in the sport. He is so hard to tackle it just could work.

But one thing I just want to clarify is the Inglis plays Rugby League, which is a different sport then what most people would know as Rugby.That is called Rugby union and is quite a different game.

Having played both, rugby league players are much more suited to American Football then rugby union players because it's a very high impact sport and the type of skills the players need could lend itself to a player swapping over to American football.

I know it would be hard but this kid but he is just such a freak of an athlete I know I would want him on my team.

As far as a position Im not sure, maybe a WR but it's so hard to tell. I wouldn't personally put him on defence because he is just so good with the ball in hand, but that doesn't mean he couldn't play defence because rugby league players are known for being having incredible tackling and defensive skills.

Anyway thats just a few thoughts from somebody who loves the Bills but watches Greg Inglis play most weekends.

Here are some highlights if nobody has already put them up

And yes here in Australia we also cant make a highlight video without editing to some kind of hip hop track. Ha ha.

Go Bills!!!

Also Another note, that if Greg Inglis did make the switch to American Football, It probably wouldn't happen this year as he is on contract for this season and we are only just had week 10 of a 26 week competition (not including playoffs)

So basically that means he will not be going to training camp as he stills as lots more rugby league to play.

And sorry for posting a youtube clip, I see a few other people also did.

Also, Those saying it couldn't be done, It already has.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colin_Scotts

We are not just punters! ha ha.

Great for Colin Scotts, but not to burst your bubble, he actually played the game in college and then was drafted by the NFL.

To think a gifted athlete with raw talent and NO football experience will make it in the NFL is a tad bit silly. IMHO.

I've always wondered why you don't see more foreigners in the NFL - there's got to be beasts all over the world that could be special players (Sumo Wrestlers, for instance, maybe as O or D linemen - or, the World strong man competition). I'm happy to hear Buffalo is turning over every rock. Really, though - I know Americans think much higher of American Football than anyone else in the world, but for the money a star in the NFL makes, I'd think someone with the talent from another country would jump at the shot.

Look up the number of people in the NFL who come from Samoa, Fiji, or Tonga, the so-called Pacific islanders. This site claims 28 players of Samoan descent alone on the 2008 NFL rosters:

http://www.ipacific.com/forum/index.php?topic=60.0

By population those tiny countries have contributed an extraordinary number of players to the NFL over the past 30 years. By numbers, a Samoan is 40 times as likely to make it in the NFL than is an American. (Islanders are also disporportionately represented in professional rugby.)

Most of the NFL players of island descent players grow up primarily playing rugby, and take up football in college here in the US.

You have got to be kidding right? A Pro Rugby player with zero American football experience thinks he can play NFL-level football as anything other then a kicker?? :thumbsup:

Secondly, the last time I checked, linebackers in the NFL have to be pretty damn well versed in reading offenses and understanding defenses before they can get on the field. Being a "big guy who runs fast with no pads on" might be a good start to becoming a linebacker in American football, if you are an 18 year old kid walking on to a mid major college with a red shirt year to start learing how to read a damn defensive playbook!! but I don't hink the Bills can afford the luxury of making a crazy signing like that and simply "coaching him up." to eventually play linebacker on their brand new 3-4 defense! :lol: I liked the Andra Davis signing, and if the Bills think they need even more FA help at linebacker, I would be more impressed if they just brought in Adalius Thomas for the next three years, then to sign a rugby player project that couldn't possibly even learn to play linebacker for three years.

Do you really think this Simpson guy is gonna make the team?

Look up the number of people in the NFL who come from Samoa, Fiji, or Tonga, the so-called Pacific islanders. This site claims 28 players of Samoan descent alone on the 2008 NFL rosters:

http://www.ipacific.com/forum/index.php?topic=60.0

By population those tiny countries have contributed an extraordinary number of players to the NFL over the past 30 years. By numbers, a Samoan is 40 times as likely to make it in the NFL than is an American. (Islanders are also disporportionately represented in professional rugby.)

Most of the NFL players of island descent players grow up primarily playing rugby, and take up football in college here in the US.

Their ability to play football actually has nothing to do with where they are from. It has to do with the opportunities they had to pass through at least a college program. By the time they reach the NFL they are trained football players, not rugby or track & field guys. Even Christian Okoye played college ball, and certainly Ngata, the rugby player, did. Bob Hayes was a star football player at Florida A&M (which Usaim Bolt was not).

Every now and then somebody gets the bright idea that accessing a good gene pool (or a great individual athlete) gets you what you want. Jamaicans are known to be great athletes so why not enter a Jamaican bobsled team in the winter olympics! They made it down the course in record time, but upside down under their sled.

Conversely, if there are not many Afro-American players in the NHL it is not for want of athletic ability. P.K.Subban is loaded with talent and has a chance to become a great player. But his father had him on skates when he was 2 years old and he grew up in the hockey hotbed of southern Ontario. Its as much about exposure and opportiunity than it is about athletic ability, and all are prerequisites (not to mention mental toughness and fearlessness Trent).

I strongly doubt that this rugby player will ever see the NFL from field level.