Audio System at the Ralph

Anyone else notice (not sure how u can't) that the PA system at the Ralph sucks. We need a new one it's long overdue. You can't hear half of whats on there. Just thinking they could also use some music and videos on the jumbotron to get the crowd going. What do you think about a video with music to it pre-game right before player intros or right after. (Think goo-goo dolls better days playoff video intro for the sabres a couple a years ago.) That would be cool at the Ralph with 74,000

You are at the game. You see the action of the field.

The only thing that a PA system should say is - "3rd and 2" or some such.

What does superfluous noise add?

If you are looking for music and video, why bother going to a sporting event? I would think you pay your money to watch the game... :thumbsup:

Anyone else notice (not sure how u can't) that the PA system at the Ralph sucks. We need a new one it's long overdue. You can't hear half of whats on there. Just thinking they could also use some music and videos on the jumbotron to get the crowd going. What do you think about a video with music to it pre-game right before player intros or right after. (Think goo-goo dolls better days playoff video intro for the sabres a couple a years ago.) That would be cool at the Ralph with 74,000

Ya a better sound system would be a plus..

Good research. Those look nice and I'm pretty sure we don't have those!

No research involved - I'm a live audio major, and we use a ton of stuff from Meyer Sound. I haven't had the time to take a field trip out to any of the nearby stadiums that have those installed yet, though. They're freaking beasts; I really want to hear them in use.

I just want them to play the radio feed in the bathrooms.

I know they want people in the stands but I'm not going to stay in the smelly, dirty, urine stained bathrooms for long. Let me hear the game! I can go out in the hall and watch it on TV but have to rely on a guy with those corny am radio headphones if I'm waiting in line to expel the $9 beers!

I feel better...thanks

we dont even need a sound system at the ralph...remember during the chargers game a few years ago when the power was out? everytime we scored the crowd started the shout song without the PA system....kinda sounded a little better

I get sick of hearing the first 10 seconds of Hell's Bells, Paranoid, Enter Sandman, etc, between plays! Its just dumb. Before the game and halftime, maybe after a score, are the only times I think it is appropriate.

It would be nice to understand the PA anouncer. Actually it is a safety issue as well - in case emergency instructions are needed. So, I guess I wish they would shutup more, but have a better sound quality for when the audio system is used/needed.

And why do we watch the game? Entertainment. Keep in mind this isn't 1970 anymore. Music and instant information are intertwined with the daily lives of the people who fill the stands and buy the merchandise nowadays. The NFL isn't some kind of "slow food" experience. That's the point. Not whether fans can "get by" without it.

If you are looking for music and video, why bother going to a sporting event? I would think you pay your money to watch the game... :w00t:

I've spent a lot of my career in product development on the marketing side of things, and we get ga-jillionz of requests like these. The litmus test we use is simple - "Is it going to change your behavior if I implement this change/feature/request?". The other side of that sabre is "Will your behavior change if I DON'T implement this request"?

The argument posited is "The Sound System at the Ralph Sucks". Okay. Fair enough. The sound system at the Ralph sucks. If I'm the big dogs at OBD, I'll listen to your request, and ask you two questions:

1) If I upgrade the existing sound system, it's going to cost me about $2.8 million. Maybe more. But goddamit, your feedback is important to me, so I'm going to do it. But since there's a potential lockout on the way, I'm probably not going to get any ROI in 2011, am I? Boy, THAT sucks! I certainly don't like THAT! And, last time I checked, I call the shots. So here's what I'm going to do, homeslice...I'm going to jack your ticket prices to pay for it in a single year. $2.8 million divided by 70,000 is...whew...about $40 per person! Boy, THAT sucks, but, hey, you're paying the lowest price per ticket in the NFL, so you can probably cough up the greenbacks, right?

2) Oh, goodness! I didn't realize that adding an extra $40 to your seasonal package would be such a hairball! So let me ask you this...if I DON'T upgrade the system, will you keep coming to the game?

Oh, just checking...

I don't mean to be a dick here, but consider this a splash of cold, cruel reality on a message board. This is the decision tree that these guys are going to implement when choosing an outcome that will affect THEIR bottom line. Don't like it? Become an owner.

The sound system at the Ralph sucks? Really? Siddown, shaddap, drink your $8 Labatts, and WATCH the game. Because if you're IN THE STADIUM, and you're WATCHING THE GAME, you don't need to listen to some yahoo in the press box telling you what you just paid the lowest ticket prices in the NFL to WATCH!

Ralph Wilson paying for such a stadium improvement? I think perhaps you are being more than a bit naiive. That's a taxpayer bill. Why they didn't squeeze this improvement into the last $60M renovation is perplexing.

If you are looking for music and video, why bother going to a sporting event? I would think you pay your money to watch the game... :w00t:

Well if some lesser used player makes a big play, and I don't know his number, I'd ask myself, "hey, who made that play?"

it would be nice to have an answer!

I took my friends who are giants fans to their first game at the ralph this past fall and they still laugh at what a joke our sound system is. Not only is our team embarasing but so is our stadium.

I complained to the Bills multiple times about this years ago.

They wrote back and said that they had 'technicians' analyze the sound system,and they deemed it to be fine. :worthy:

Yea, because they analyze with an empty stadium.

I actually found an e mail from 2002:

From - Tue Sep 24 11:56:47 2002

Message-ID: <3D908B3C.4807924@nycap.rr.com>

Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 11:56:44 -0400

Reply-To: qtrsaw@nycap.rr.com

Organization:

X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.77C-CCK-MCD {C-UDP; EBM-APPLE} (Macintosh; U; PPC)

X-Accept-Language: en

MIME-Version: 1.0

To: "Honan, Marc" <MarcH@BILLS.NFL.com>

Subject: RWS sound system problem

Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii

Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Honan, Marc wrote:

> > Thank you for your support of Buffalo Bills Football. We have received your

> concerns regarding audio problems inside the Stadium. The information,

> including your seat location has been sent to our engineers. They will do a

> systems check to make sure all speakers are working and directed at the

> proper sections. Sometimes weather conditions cause the speakers to turn

> slightly effecting the direction in which they throw sound.

>

> If the problem continues for the Chicago game, please e-mail me at

> march@bills.nfl.com and we will look at alternate solutions to address the

> problem.

>

> Thank you.

>

> Marc Honan

So I guess they fixed it for the Chicago game. I thought the sound was better since then. Go Bills!