OT - English grammer lesson

aussiew

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

fingernails on a chalk board reading this stuff OVER and OVER and OVER. :ph34r:

How anyone can get to the college level and not be able to grasp the difference is beyond me.

There - meaning "over there" or in that place.

They're - shortened form of THEY ARE

Their - possessive - e.g. The Bills won their last game.

Your - possessive - e.g. please study your English

You're - shortened form of YOU ARE.

After a year of reading these word misused on TSW, I just had to vent. So sue me. :P

140090[/snapback]

Kind of tells ya the general level of intelligence on message boards...

That's the one that kills me.... when people say "COMMON MAN!" when they mean "come on man"? I mean, that's not even close!

140120[/snapback]

Ask ICE where that one came from.

Queens English?? Ozzies??  :ph34r:

:P

142305[/snapback]

Write!

Queens English is a dialect found east of Manhattan and sounds something like:

"Eehh! Youse wanna break inna dat caaah, oar eat somma dese youge doenuts?"

Ozzies are what Sharon had a few years and couple of hundred decks ago.

Not any more.

142325[/snapback]

I take it you haven't seen the people who are actually going around the filter and typing stevestojan in to keep it alive? :w00t:

Here are some more fun ones:

irregardless is not a word, regardless of what you say.

McGahee and Shelton complement each other on the field, for which McGahee often compliments Shelton.

As mentioned in another thread, Butch Davis resigned from Cleveland, while the Bills re-signed Schobel this year.

I take it you haven't seen the people who are actually going around the filter and typing stevestojan in to keep it alive?  :doh:

Here are some more fun ones:

irregardless is not a word, regardless of what you say.

McGahee and Shelton complement each other on the field, for which McGahee often compliments Shelton.

As mentioned in another thread, Butch Davis resigned from Cleveland, while the Bills re-signed Schobel this year.

142584[/snapback]

Unfortunately, isntead of fighting it, you will now find authoritative voices like Websters giving validity to irregardless, despite the fact that is is a ridiculous word. It's right up there with reiterate. Reiterate means "to say or do again." Well...what the hell do you think "iterate" means? Be we're so fuggin' lazy we have to use words like irregardless and reiterate, and then make then acceptable parts of our language.

Here's another one I learned in journalism 101, but that's finally been accepted for all the lazyasses. Insure used to only mean one thing: to take insurance out on something. But people use it instead of ensure, which is "to make sure or certain." Two different things. At least they used to be. Not any more. God forbid people learn the difference.

Unfortunately, isntead of fighting it, you will now find authoritative voices like Websters giving validity to irregardless, despite the fact that is is a ridiculous word. It's right up there with reiterate. Reiterate means "to say or do again." Well...what the hell do you think "iterate" means? Be we're so fuggin' lazy we have to use words like irregardless and reiterate, and then make then acceptable parts of our language.

Here's another one I learned in journalism 101, but that's finally been accepted for all the lazyasses. Insure used to only mean one thing: to take insurance out on something.  But people use it instead of ensure, which is "to make sure or certain." Two different things. At least they used to be. Not any more. God forbid people learn the difference.

143887[/snapback]

Yeah, I remember having the insure/ensure discussion a while ago. I'm on your side there (or should I say I'm on you're side their? :doh: )

I've also given up on the incorrect use of data (data is the plural form of datum, so it should be treated as plural....). Even some of the research scientists I work with are saying "the data is available..."