Venting about the rankings

DCgirl

Okay, I know rankings are meaningless and I have strongly disliked Pete Prisco for the last several years generally but his rankings this week really irk me. He has us ranked below the Seahawks, Rams and Giants. The Seahawks I can give a pass even though we just embarassed them in their own house because they do have a better record than us (albeit by playing the likes of the Cardinals and 49'ers twice and void of a win against a team with a winning record). But the Rams and Giants have the SAME record as us - the Rams were blown out by us last week and blown out by the Packers this week and the Giants just lost as well. It's pretty annoying that he would rank us below those teams knowing how much tougher the AFC is then the NFC.

Anyway, just wanted to vent.

Prisco's Rankings

Okay, I know rankings are meaningless and I have strongly disliked Pete Prisco for the last several years generally but his rankings this week really irk me.  He has us ranked below the Seahawks, Rams and Giants.  The Seahawks I can give a pass even though we just embarassed them in their own house because they do have a better record than us (albeit by playing the likes of the Cardinals and 49'ers twice and void of a win against a team with a winning record).  But the Rams and Giants have the SAME record as us - the Rams were blown out by us last week and blown out by the Packers this week and the Giants just lost as well.  It's pretty annoying that he would rank us below those teams knowing how much tougher the AFC is then the NFC. 

Prisco's Rankings

139984[/snapback]

I agree with you about the rankings being meaningless and Prisco is a buffoon. It isn't like the Bills eeked games out against the Rams and Seahawks, they manhandled them and still don't get any love. Prisco has always had a hard on for NFC teams so this ranking seems about right for him. 7 NFC teams ranked in the top 15 is a joke but that's Prisco for ya. :doh:

Okay, I know rankings are meaningless and I have strongly disliked Pete Prisco for the last several years generally but his rankings this week really irk me.  He has us ranked below the Seahawks, Rams and Giants.  The Seahawks I can give a pass even though we just embarassed them in their own house because they do have a better record than us (albeit by playing the likes of the Cardinals and 49'ers twice and void of a win against a team with a winning record).  But the Rams and Giants have the SAME record as us - the Rams were blown out by us last week and blown out by the Packers this week and the Giants just lost as well.  It's pretty annoying that he would rank us below those teams knowing how much tougher the AFC is then the NFC. 

Prisco's Rankings

139984[/snapback]

Understood!

I don't think it's possible to accurately rank 32 teams, as you say. I suspect the writers go on hunches, impressions of the moment, strength of teams beat, and so forth. Not that that means anything - I think they are just fun things for them to do. My newspaper beat writer has his rankings in the Sunday sports page and I like to move teams up and down from his choices, and try to predict how they'll change in the coming week.

These are much better rankings:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/powerranking

139998[/snapback]

Yes - I think ESPN's rankings generally have more credibility (as much as any ranking can have "credibility") but I still look at Prisco's and Dr. Z's just for fun. I guess I shouldn't read Prisco's since he usually states really dumb and/or arbitrary reasons for his rankings but I can't help it - guess I'm a masochist.

Prisco's Rankings

139984[/snapback]

I'd have to agree, also. Seattle and St. Louis *should* be playoff teams (and they very well might be), but they're not playing like it. At the moment, the Bills are playing like a playoff team. Overall, Buffalo's performance throughout the season has hampered them, especially their egg-laying in Foxboro.

The Bills' road win and the way they won should bump them up, but given how St. Louis has played over the past few weeks should be no reason to put them ahead of Buffalo right now. Seattle hasn't played well for the past month, either.

I'd have to agree, also. Seattle and St. Louis *should* be playoff teams (and they very well might be), but they're not playing like it. At the moment, the Bills are playing like a playoff team. Overall, Buffalo's performance throughout the season has hampered them, especially their egg-laying in Foxboro.

The Bills' road win and the way they won should bump them up, but given how St. Louis has played over the past few weeks should be no reason to put them ahead of Buffalo right now. Seattle hasn't played well for the past month, either.

140039[/snapback]

Neither of those teams would be anywhere near the playoffs if they were in the AFC.

Prisco's Rankings

139984[/snapback]

Sorry but losing games in the 4th to pretenders/primadonnas has earned us that reputation.

We should be 8-3.