Gaither or Jamal Brown...

I have been thinking about our OT situation and trying to understand why Buddy and Chan would want to trade for a very good LOT in Gaither that will need to be extended for very big money when all reports are that while he is very talented, he does not work extremely hard. This before he gets big money. The guys has made 5th rounder money for 4 years. Will he bust his butt to win after he gets a huge deal? Maybe.

Make sense that you would trade away a highly conveted 2nd rounder for Gaither given you like to build through the draft? Maybe, but probaby not.

Now, would you be willing to call and talk to Ozzie Newson and maybe float a low ball offer to start? Maybe, and it would make sense if....

you really would rather trade for Jammal Brown and give him an extension. All reports I have read (not many so please weigh in if you have heard otherwise) is that he is a good run and pass blocker. Have not heard if he was a hard worker and a tough player (Chan likes and wants those). Anyway, assuming the Bills might want them, wouldn't it make sense to trade him for a guy they love and have been pumping up multiple times, but does not really fit their defensive scheme? Yes, it does make sense. Kyle Williams. New Orleans was close to trading for B Cofield of th NYG's on draft and have been rumored to be interested in Haynesowrth. They want a DT. Now, while Williams is not as big as those guys, we know Gregg Williams loves productive migh motor defensive linemen. He fits for NO.

So, maybe some like... Jamal Brown for Kyle Williams and a 4th.

As soon as I just sold myself on this idea I looked up Jammal Brown's age is he was 29 back in March. If he stays healthy for 4-5 more years and plays at a pro blowl level, then it make sense. It could be that he is started breaking down last year and will an injury issue for a bunch more in his career. I think I like this option better then Gaither. Just my humble opinion.

Peace. Go Bills!

Yeah he hasn't been healthy, thats the problem. There is no way in hell that we would trade our best defensive lineman with huge potential plus a fourth (are you serious?) for a 29 year old LT coming off an injury that made him miss a year. If anything it would be Williams for Brown and a 3rd.

it would make sense, but i believe brown was out with injury all last yr, so he would have be cleared medically, aside from that if we were to get him for williams, there should be no pick involved, age and injury history, plus we give him a new contract, no reason to include a pick.

I have been thinking about our OT situation and trying to understand why Buddy and Chan would want to trade for a very good LOT in Gaither that will need to be extended for very big money when all reports are that while he is very talented, he does not work extremely hard. This before he gets big money. The guys has made 5th rounder money for 4 years. Will he bust his butt to win after he gets a huge deal? Maybe.

Make sense that you would trade away a highly conveted 2nd rounder for Gaither given you like to build through the draft? Maybe, but probaby not.

Now, would you be willing to call and talk to Ozzie Newson and maybe float a low ball offer to start? Maybe, and it would make sense if....

you really would rather trade for Jammal Brown and give him an extension. All reports I have read (not many so please weigh in if you have heard otherwise) is that he is a good run and pass blocker. Have not heard if he was a hard worker and a tough player (Chan likes and wants those). Anyway, assuming the Bills might want them, wouldn't it make sense to trade him for a guy they love and have been pumping up multiple times, but does not really fit their defensive scheme? Yes, it does make sense. Kyle Williams. New Orleans was close to trading for B Cofield of th NYG's on draft and have been rumored to be interested in Haynesowrth. They want a DT. Now, while Williams is not as big as those guys, we know Gregg Williams loves productive migh motor defensive linemen. He fits for NO.

As soon as I just sold myself on this idea I looked up Jammal Brown's age is he was 29 back in March. If he stays healthy for 4-5 more years and plays at a pro blowl level, then it make sense. It could be that he is started breaking down last year and will an injury issue for a bunch more in his career. I think I like this option better then Gaither. Just my humble opinion.

Peace. Go Bills!

I wouldn't mind trading for Brown....... for a 7th round future pick i suppose. If we traded Kyle Williams away, it would mean Troup would have to man the NT spot 24/7. We don't know yet if he's up to that task. Honestly though i think it would cost us too much to acquire Brown. I'de rather trade for a young hungry mean tackle who lights fires under his own ass.

I wouldn't mind trading for Brown....... for a 7th round future pick i suppose. If we traded Kyle Williams away, it would mean Troup would have to man the NT spot 24/7. We don't know yet if he's up to that task. Honestly though i think it would cost us too much to acquire Brown. I'de rather trade for a young hungry mean tackle who lights fires under his own ass.

then you dont want Gaither, cause by most accounts he's had work ethic and motivational problems since college

then you dont want Gaither, cause by most accounts he's had work ethic and motivational problems since college

Yep, i don't want Gaither at all. Well if his motivational problems are true. If he gets a lobotamy and somehow gets the heart of a champ and never wants to learn of the word "quit" then perhaps i'll change my tune.

Yep, i don't want Gaither at all. Well if his motivational problems are true. If he gets a lobotamy and somehow gets the heart of a champ and never wants to learn of the word "quit" then perhaps i'll change my tune.

that sounds like Mr. Ed Wang from all the stories i've read, maybe we dont need to trade for anybody, hmmmmm.....

that sounds like Mr. Ed Wang from all the stories i've read, maybe we dont need to trade for anybody, hmmmmm.....

I'm really optimistic about our Mr. Ed Wang. He might not fit what most other teams want in a starting tackle, but from what i've read on this board, he's good for a zone blocking scheme which we'll be employing. It might take a year or two to find out if he's capable of being starting caliber. I want to see what this dude can do. Who knows what his potential ceiling is with capable coaching. Only one way to find out. I hope he starts to get a nice mean streak like what Wood has. He should hang with Wood and Levitre :) I'm also hoping that Calloway turns into one mean guard. Always optimistic. Is there really any other option?

Peace. Go Bills!

The major problem with Jammal Brown really is a major problem. It's that he's not real good.

Go to profootballfocus.com

Click on "By position"

Click on "T" (for tackle)

Click on "2008" to get the last time Jammal Brown was able to play.

You will notice that in 2008, he graded out as the 47th best tackle (left and tackles graded together) out of 76. Look waaaaaaaaaay up above that and you'll find Gaither was the 11th best tackle out of those 76. And last year while Brown was injured, Gaither moved up to 6th best.

Now go back to 2007. You'll find that Jammal Brown was 52nd best out of 63. Seriously, the guy just isn't real good. Brown would help us out this year, but by next year, you would guess that Wang might have a good chance to be better than Brown. Not so much with Gaither.

I'm really optimistic about our Mr. Ed Wang. He might not fit what most other teams want in a starting tackle, but from what i've read on this board, he's good for a zone blocking scheme which we'll be employing. It might take a year or two to find out if he's capable of being starting caliber. I want to see what this dude can do. Who knows what his potential ceiling is with capable coaching. Only one way to find out. I hope he starts to get a nice mean streak like what Wood has. He should hang with Wood and Levitre :) I'm also hoping that Calloway turns into one mean guard. Always optimistic. Is there really any other option?

his measurables are on par with the rest of the league 6-5 34 1/2 in arms 300 lbs he's a good pass protector and fits better as a zone blocker in the run game, not really sure what's not to like but if we dont swing a trade i'll take my chances with wanger on the left.

Yeah he hasn't been healthy, thats the problem. There is no way in hell that we would trade our best defensive lineman with huge potential plus a fourth (are you serious?) for a 29 year old LT coming off an injury that made him miss a year. If anything it would be Williams for Brown and a 3rd.

HAHAHAHAHA :)

Peace. Go Bills!

Why are you omitting the fact that Brown was injured ALL of last year? A HIP injury on a 300+ lbs man who has to move laterally most plays while pass blocking. I don't think that the Bills are offering a 2nd rounder at this time anyway. Why get rid of Kyle when Chan already stated that there will be a rotation at the nose?

it would make sense, but i believe brown was out with injury all last yr, so he would have be cleared medically, aside from that if we were to get him for williams, there should be no pick involved, age and injury history, plus we give him a new contract, no reason to include a pick.

Why give up a contributing player for Brown when the Saints don't even want him? As you indicated there are serious health concerns with Brown. In addition, he wants a new contract. The Saints are not going to invest in a richer contract for him because they have Bushrod, a younger and cheaper player, who played adequately enough at the LT spot.

Don't be surprised if the Saints simply cut Brown. He appears to be the odd man out right now as it is in New Orleans. I would be willing to pick up Brown (if healthy) as a stop gap veteran LT. However, I wouldn't be willing to give up much for him in a trade, and I wouldn't invest a lot of money in a new contract for a player who struggled for the past number of years.

Without a doubt the Bills have a desperate need for a LT. But the team shouldn't reach and make a bad deal because of their need. There is still plenty of time to get an adequate player. The Bills need to be patient and wait for a better trading deal or free agent pick up.

Peace. Go Bills!

You know what would make this team stronger? Trading away our best d-lineman. That's the ticket!

Why give up a contributing player for Brown when the Saints don't even want him? As you indicated there are serious health concerns with Brown. In addition, he wants a new contract. The Saints are not going to invest in a richer contract for him because they have Bushrod, a younger and cheaper player, who played adequately enough at the LT spot.

Don't be surprised if the Saints simply cut Brown. He appears to be the odd man out right now as it is in New Orleans. I would be willing to pick up Brown (if healthy) as a stop gap veteran LT. However, I wouldn't be willing to give up much for him in a trade, and I wouldn't invest a lot of money in a new contract for a player who struggled for the past number of years.

Without a doubt the Bills have a desperate need for a LT. But the team shouldn't reach and make a bad deal because of their need. There is still plenty of time to get an adequate player. The Bills need to be patient and wait for a better trading deal or free agent pick up.

Hittin the nail on the head here ↑

Obviously, either brown or gaither would be an upgrade to our line, but i've recently come to realize it isn't worth mortgaging the future for one of these guys.

The above scenario makes sense. I'd be ecstatic if we got brown on the cheap to allow some time for wang et al to develop.

however, whether or not we bring in an automatic starter at LT, one player is not going to make or break this team, even at such a crucial position. no matter how you feel about the rest of the line, rest of the offense, and/or rest of the team; the fact is we are either going to be good enough to overcome a lack of a stud LT, or we will have other problems that having a stud LT isn't going to solve.

Have you or anyone else wondered how a man with motivational issues made it to play in the NFL? Or how a lazy guy is a starting OT in the NFL? Or how a lazy guy is a good starting OT in the NFL? Don't believe the work ethic hype. Gaither can play and has played well. The Bills can use a good OT. His work ethic issues seem to me, to be will he be satisfied to be good or will he realize a potential that could see him be a great OT. He's already good. Just watch the tape.

Have you or anyone else wondered how a man with motivational issues made it to play in the NFL? Or how a lazy guy is a starting OT in the NFL? Or how a lazy guy is a good starting OT in the NFL? Don't believe the work ethic hype. Gaither can play and has played well. The Bills can use a good OT. His work ethic issues seem to me, to be will he be satisfied to be good or will he realize a potential that could see him be a great OT. He's already good. Just watch the tape.

There are plenty of talented players in the NFL who are lazy. Albert Haynesworth is a good example. So is Mike Williams. I can go on and on but I'm sure you get the point. Did Gaither work out at the Ravens' training facility during the offseason as they wanted? No he did not. He was not an out of towner who had his offseason interrupted because he had to travel and make special living arrangements. Gaither lived in Maryland and was within commuting distance to the facility.

If the Bills trade for Gaither it will be expected to give him an extended lucrative deal. I'm not for trading for anyone at such a steep cap price when there are serious concerns about his work ethic. Isn't it obvious that the Ravens have serious issues with giving the very physically talented but lackadaisical player a long term generous contract with substantial guaranteed $$$$? Why was Gaither moved to the RT position and Ohrer was switched from the right side to the left? Evidently Ohrer is better and they have more long term confidence in him than in the JG.

In college Gaither was taken out of the starting rotation not because he wasn't talented enough but because he was a slackered. Is Gaither better than any LT currently on the roster? Certainly. However, acquiring him means that the Bills will have to financially commit to him for the long term. If this new Nix regime wants to instill a hard working ethic on this team Gaither is not the type of player you would want to invest in.